Vermont areas.

pantowin

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2013
Hey guys I'm new to the panning adventure and had some questions. My buddy and I are looking to pan the local area and have been researching it. They say there has been gold found in the dumps of old metal based mines in the area but we cannot seem to locate these mines and no one in the area seems to know. Anyone know how we would locate said mines this is a very small town called readsboro in Vt so not sure where they could be hidden. Also when it comes to black sand is it usually right on top or should we be digging to find it. We found what seems to be an ideal spot off a road called "goldmine rd" would it be foolish to assume there is actually a old gold mine nearby. Thanks for any help on this and future questions.

Matt

Upvote 0

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

You might want to check your local library for a copy of the Vt. State Geologist Reports, dated from the early 1900's. Most of the minds in Vt. date to the late 19th century, and weren't that productive. In PLymouth 5-corners, the remains are still definable of the Rook;s mine , one of the most productive, The area's streams are all likely to contain placer gold. I have some experience a little further north in the Addison-Windsor co' area, but this area was not known for any mines.

Your idea to check out "goldmine rd." is a good one, early residents tended to be quite practical in how they named rds., towns, etc. I would also look for old piles of rock debris, this may indicate tailing piles, might be obscured over the years. Good luck, and keep us posted.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tailing piles are where they dumped the debris and remenants from the mining operation. It was considered waste, but they usually still contain small amounts of the mine product, and with todays technology and higher prices, it would be worthwhile to check them out.

Easybaked88

May 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Readsboro Goldmine

Hey guys I'm new to the panning adventure and had some questions. My buddy and I are looking to pan the local area and have been researching it. They say there has been gold found in the dumps of old metal based mines in the area but we cannot seem to locate these mines and no one in the area seems to know. Anyone know how we would locate said mines this is a very small town called readsboro in Vt so not sure where they could be hidden. Also when it comes to black sand is it usually right on top or should we be digging to find it. We found what seems to be an ideal spot off a road called "goldmine rd" would it be foolish to assume there is actually a old gold mine nearby. Thanks for any help on this and future questions.

Matt

Hey there,
I know this post is old, but i happen to live right off of Goldmine rd. in Readsboro. The Mine never produced much gold, and is said to have been seeded to attract investors. The amount of gold actually recovered was 1/16 the amount invested. Also the mine is on private property. Permission is needed to access it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread