Very expensive shipping

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a necklace. The guy charged $5.95 for first class shipping. He reused some envelope he got, and just taped the label over it. For that much money, I could have paid for priority. The guy did ship really quickly.

What is the right thing to do? Do I message the guy, and tell him that I am very happy, but I think he charges too much? Do I just leave him a low number, which is going to mess up his selling?

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not leave negative feedback. Especially, if he listed the shipping cost ahead of time.

Was it a coral, gold filled necklace by any chance?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would let him know that you are not happy with the way it was shipped. Did the package have the actual shipping cost? Tell him you understand the shipping and handling process cost, but to overcharge is not the right thing to do.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to leave positive feedback. It's the stars I'm wondering about. The package was shipped first class, 6 oz, no insurance unless he took the ebay insurance. Do I message him and say I'm happy with everything but the ridiculous shipping, or just suck it up because I got a gold necklace well below spot?

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the shipping was set at 5.95 and you knew prior to bidding, I wouldn't worry about it. If he was supposed to ship priority and he shipped it first class, then I would complain

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I left him 3 stars, neither reasonable nor unreasonable. Seems to fit.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you purchased a gold necklace well below spot and are upset with the price of shipping??? I'd be kissing the guys ass, and doing everything possible to let him know how happy I am. What if he is smart enough/experienced enough with eBay and he figures out that you left him low ratings and blocks you?

All over $2. SMH

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you purchased a gold necklace well below spot and are upset with the price of shipping??? I'd be kissing the guys ass, and doing everything possible to let him know how happy I am. What if he is smart enough/experienced enough with eBay and he figures out that you left him low ratings and blocks you?

All over $2. SMH

Lol...I was thinking the same thing.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I would have let it go and left great feedback. Was it a bubble envelope? I reuse bubble envelopes all the time, they are fine for more than one use and they are pricey hence the reuse when possible.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have let it go and left great feedback. Was it a bubble envelope? I reuse bubble envelopes all the time, they are fine for more than one use and they are pricey hence the reuse when possible.

I even state in my listings that I reuse/recycle shipping materials

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes there is a high shipping price because the seller will want to recoup some loss if an auction does not reach his hope for price, if he has no reserver set. Others may offer a BIN with a low price tag and high shipping. Sellers may see it as a deal because of the low BIN and miss the high shipping or ignore it, thinking they are getting a good deal. Either way, if shipping is figured at whatever price, and for whatever reason....then the buyer should know and accept it before he even enters a bid.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
That's a good idea to state that in the listings. I have never bought a box, there are just to many free ones around crying to be reused. Recently I had to buy some bubble envelopes because I ran out of my used ones with labels that I re-label. They were the larger ones and cost over $1 each and that eats into low $ sales. The only thing I buy now is paper packing tape, shipping tape and more tape.
When I find a box full of peanuts I feel like I hit for $50 on a scratch off ticket.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I left him 3 stars, neither reasonable nor unreasonable. Seems to fit.

Under ebay policy 3 stars is a defect. If shipping was advertised as being 1st class for $5.95, you're happy with the item, & you got it in a reasonable amount of time why would you want to penalize the seller?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Shipping cost is always shown so buyers know up front what the total cost to their door will be for any given item. You add the shipping & the price together & then decide if it's reasonable PRIOR to bidding. Take 2 identical items. 1 is $5 with a $10 shipping cost. The other is $12 and ships for 3 bucks.. Is the first one a ripoff but the second is a great deal ? Common sense fellas... Yes it really is that simple. You have no idea how he calculates shipping. Maybe he's got a young kid in the house who he pays 2 bucks per item to pack rather than just give them money for doing nothing like some parents do. That's an expense that needs to be covered, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you sure 3 stars is a defect? I can't access that frommy phone? Cuz I'll change it to 4. Doesn't seem like it should be a defect, imho. It's not good or bad.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, it looked like a used birthday card envelope. I charge $4 for first class. I wrap the jewelry in tissue paper, put it in a jewelry baggie, wrap it with bubble wrap, and attach it to a packing slip that was printed I. card stock. It goes in a new envelope. ( they are cheap enough from Wal-Mart)
Yeah, it all eats into my profit, but I am proud of what I send out, not embarrassed.
Some of the higher end stores I shop in give gift bags with their name on it. I guess I'm trying to make my store into a high end store, rather than a discount store.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you get what you ordered safely (undamaged) and efficiently? If yes, then let's assume it costs about $4 actual charge from USPS. Ebay allows a reasonable handling fee. So, the question is really whether or not $2 is a reasonable handling fee?

It sounds to me that you are judging your definition of a reasonable handling fee on the fact that you are using materials and handling procedures that "eats into your profit". That should not be a benchmark for measure of a reasonable handling fee, as that is your choice. I would argue that a $2 handling fee is just slightly high. Personally, I think $1.50 is the max with $1 being average. That being said, I don't think this warrants "dinging" the seller about $2 (really it is over 50 cents using my logic).

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I double checked before I posted & anything less than 4 stars is a defect. Just another one of those things that eBay does that aren't clearly explained causing sellers to get defects for no real reason. This is one of the reasons I include free shipping on most of my items. If you don't "charge" for shipping the buyer can't give you a defect for that part of the transaction.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
$6 for first class shipping w/ no insurance. The guy paid under two bucks. I know because before I add insurance, that is how much it would cost me.

it's all a mute point. According to Ebay, because I left positive feedback, there is no way to change the rating. As trdhrdr said, it's another way that they don't explain you are leaving a defect. I thought 1 or 2 stars was a defect. Now I feel bad. I wouldn't have left anything, or at least emailed the guy first. The best Ebay can do is let their tech team know. That and fifty cents won't even buy a coke.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
$6 for first class shipping w/ no insurance. The guy paid under two bucks. I know because before I add insurance, that is how much it would cost me.

it's all a mute point. According to Ebay, because I left positive feedback, there is no way to change the rating. As trdhrdr said, it's another way that they don't explain you are leaving a defect. I thought 1 or 2 stars was a defect. Now I feel bad. I wouldn't have left anything, or at least emailed the guy first. The best Ebay can do is let their tech team know. That and fifty cents won't even buy a coke.

A small bubble mailer with a coin or something small costs me just under $3.50 to send and that is with tracking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread