Very first day with new detector!

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi all. New detector just arrived today so when my 10yr old daughter came home from school (she was almost as excited as I was) we headed out to the local school yard. Mission for today was to get swinging and see what we could come up with. I've been doing a lot of reading here and on other sites for tips and how to's and it help this rookie get started for sure.

Didn't come up with anything really exciting but just being out there finally and my daughters enthusiasm was exciting enough. Nothing older than 1970 and we got 1 nickel, 1 dime, hand full of pennies, 1 fake silver earing and an assortment of junk. I dug everthing lol! I can see how that might wear thin after awhile.. but oh well I'm just learning.

Attachments

• Pirate treasure day one 027.jpg
    Pirate treasure day one 027.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 864
Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Looks like you had a great day for a first day! So glad to hear your daughter was so excited too! She will make a great hunting partner for you I am sure. You might wanna hide that zipper pull before Mastereagle22 sees it though! :thumbsup: lol You guys did great!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I want to say Welcome! I also see you did a great job with the new detector. That is very smart digging all till you get the hang of it. I like to dig all but iron. Gold will be missed if you turn the disc. up to high, you also will miss alot of old coins and nickels. You are doing well keep it up!

Steve

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Welcome! You guys did great...my first day I found 4 pennies. Keep at it.

Brett2259

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Good job....I just search for coins....when nickle readings come up I just pass them up...too many pull tabs and junk.... :thumbsup:

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to the asylum- I hope you make a lot of friends ;)

HH
-GC

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
O look a green pulltab. Cool!!!!!
Nice finds for the first time out. The real treasure is spending time with the daughter.
Joe

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG :thumbsup:

Love that Green pulltab, I still need to get one of the green ones for my collection.

I dig and dig and never a green :(

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello CT & Welcome aboard!
You don't disclose your weapon of choice?

Digging every signal can be frustrating for a new detectorist. I'd suggest considering one of the presets if your detector has them. At least, for a while until you get more familiar with your machine. Doing so may save a lot of digging. :)

GRB

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dear GOD another person hooked on MD'ing :tongue1:

Congrats CanadianTrout you and daughter make a good team..Nice finds :icon_thumright: :blob9: :icon_thumleft:

HH !

Derek :icon_sunny:

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to a great hobby.

I don't think I found that much stuff will my first detector in the first week. :D It had manual ground balance and it took awhile to figure that out.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some beautiful stuff, there's nothing like the first time out no mwtter what you find. You are bitten my friend, and there's no cure...

Thanks for sharing,
Ramapirate

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Welcome to Tnet. Nothing takes the place of quality time spent w/your daughter. Dig everything, dig everything, dig everything. Gold rings the same as a pull tab on my detector so after a few million pull tabs I found a gold and 4 diamond ring. Also my ten year old found a mercury dime (old us coin) on the first hunt and a white 18 k gold ring on her second hunt. So you never know. Keep us posted and best of luck. :thumbsup:

Acevillav

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
hahahaha that's funny. When I got home I showed my wife and said "Hey look, a GREEN pulltab, Cool!" She just looked at me strange.... :icon_scratch:

There's no way I'm going anywhere near grass yet though.... you shoulda saw the size of the holes I was digging! Deep and w i d e ! Sand and wood chips everywhere only to discover the find had come out on the first scoop and put in the pile off to the side. Oops.

Another thing I did was as I grabbed handfuls of sand I ran it under the coil looking for the target. I was puzzled as to why EVERY handful kept ringing loud but I could never find the target. Then I realized I had my wedding ring on..... what a dork. :tard:

What year did US and Can coins stop using silver? 1963? 1968? And what content of silver is in these older coins? And how do you "politely" deal with swarming children? The buggers kept grabbing my Leche everytime I set it down and at the first tone there'd be 6 pairs of grubby little hands in the hole before I could even think about pinpointing..... lol

Anyway, sticking with tot-lots and parks for awile and leaving the wedding ring at home.....

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: oh ya, I use an Ace 250. Brand new out of the box, 2 days old.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your question about silver content I will refer you to this web site.

http://www.coinflation.com/

It lists melt value of the different year coins and the silver, copper and nickel content of each. :icon_study:

Welcome to the Hobby, now you also get to spend time on research. :)

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
No day of detecting with your daughter will replace the lack of finds you found today... ;D. Keep up the great detecting.... :thumbsup:

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
CanadianTrout said:
Another thing I did was as I grabbed handfuls of sand I ran it under the coil looking for the target. I was puzzled as to why EVERY handful kept ringing loud but I could never find the target. Then I realized I had my wedding ring on..... what a dork. :tard:

thats alright when I first started I used to wear safety shoes as I hunted right after work and get beeps as the coil passed in front of a shoe if I have it forward walking. I'd stop and it would go away :icon_scratch: lol I be like mmmmmmm where did it go I know that was a good solid beep lol

Enjoy those hands and enjoy your family sounds like you already have the biggest treasures following you :thumbsup:

Welcome to the TN

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
CanadianTrout said:
And how do you "politely" deal with swarming children? The buggers kept grabbing my Leche everytime I set it down and at the first tone there'd be 6 pairs of grubby little hands in the hole before I could even think about pinpointing..... lol
Do you have headphones? Just pretend you don`t hear them and go the other way. They will lose interest eventually.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread