Very first time gold panning and found GOLD

shawn32671

Jul 4, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I tried out gold panning for the very first time yesterday and found some decent gold and a couple small "pickers" even. As you can see, the pieces are a little under 1/16 in size in the first vial but way under 1/16 in the second one but I did find two small "pickers" between 1/16 and 1/8 inch in size (one in each vial). North central Iowa.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

shawn32671

Jul 4, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it is my first go at panning, I saved all of the concentrates and plan to pan through that several more times in hopes of finding a little more. I'm also saving all the heavies to run on a Miller table I plan to build from tutorials online so I can hopefully recover even the very fine gold. My technique is very poor so far but hey, I'm trying my best and at least have some results.
Being that Iowa gold is placer gold and mostly flour to tiny pieces like I found, I don't think I did too bad especially when I was told it was a waste of time to try local areas. I don't know, what do you folks think? Should I continue trying? I'm not very concerned with finding much or making money as much as I am at just getting out there and having fun and hoping to meet others near by interested as well.
Thanks for looking.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since it is my first go at panning, I saved all of the concentrates and plan to pan through that several more times in hopes of finding a little more. I'm also saving all the heavies to run on a Miller table I plan to build from tutorials online so I can hopefully recover even the very fine gold. My technique is very poor so far but hey, I'm trying my best and at least have some results.
Being that Iowa gold is placer gold and mostly flour to tiny pieces like I found, I don't think I did too bad especially when I was told it was a waste of time to try local areas. I don't know, what do you folks think? Should I continue trying? I'm not very concerned with finding much or making money as much as I am at just getting out there and having fun and hoping to meet others near by interested as well.
Thanks for looking.

You did great by any measure, good job!

Btw, way to prove the naysayers wrong, I love finding gold where others doubt or deny! Now get back out there!

Ps smart to save your leftover heavy cons for when you are more experienced at panning. Screen that material down to the really fine stuff (such as what will go thru a 50 or even 100 mesh sieve) and pan that fine stuff to get more gold now.

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be difficult to authenticate the sources, but I think someone should start a collection of gold from all the "no gold here" states. Its been an eye-opening experience for me!! Congrats on the start of a very unique collection from Iowa. :icon_thumright:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It would be difficult to authenticate the sources, but I think someone should start a collection of gold from all the "no gold here" states. Its been an eye-opening experience for me!! Congrats on the start of a very unique collection from Iowa. :icon_thumright:

Great idea! My most productive sites are not mentioned in the literature :) here in CO. The lit is always a great place to start but don't stop there!!!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep telling them there is no gold in Iowa, all the while collecting it for yourself. You would be surprised at how word of mouth can create a mini gold rush even in Iowa.

Too late, my prospecting Club is headed there now with trommels, dredges, and high bankers. :tongue3:
GG~

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! Keep your spot to yourself. You have no way to protect it like we do out west with claims. Even then we have claim jumpers but the law is on our side with a legit claim. Get after it and keep quiet.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

OP
OP
S

shawn32671

Jul 4, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys, this is a great forum...Gold in Iowa?, absurd!, now forget you heard there's gold here....GGG

OP
OP
S

shawn32671

Jul 4, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below is my total take thus far...same amount of gold in both pics but showing what it looks like in the pan and the vial...I still have to go through the cons again then go through the main material a few more times to try to recover what I'm sure I've missed...My snuffer bottle (not shown) is about halfway full of flour gold and black sand and hoping to figure out a good way to seperate the sands from the flour gold but I'm sure off to a good start for a place "that has no gold". what's kind of funny is in doing research I found an article about my town saying a gold venture was taken up here in the late 1800's to early 1900's but it said there was insufient amounts to make it a profitable venture so the idea was abandoned, stating that someone may on a good day be able to pan roughly 50 cents a day, well what's that in todays standards? 5-10 bucks? anyway I'm not in it to make cash but to experience the thrill of finding color.

Oh and the gold shown below is minus half of the bottle contents from the bottom pic in my original post up above...I gave some to a very good friend and now he's hooked as well...It's funny, you show the gold and the jaws drop and apologies come in for my being called foolish to even try this.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fabulous!

Fifty cents worth back then would be 1/40 of an ounce or 1/64 of an ounce since gold was $20 and then $32 per ounce.. Today an ounce is worth $1244 so 1244/40 or 1244/64 is current value they were getting. That's a range of $20-30 a day. You'd make more working in a fast food restaurant but finding gold is a LOT more fun!

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Dude! Great haul! U are going to be one scary prospector when you get some streamtime under your belt! It took me my first whole season for that much!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well considering your location that's a heck of a good haul. Now that you've proven them wrong you need to do a couple of things. First as has been said already...Keep quiet about where you found it. Second do more research into the geographic history of the area so you can adjust your digging efforts and find even more and better gold. You'd be surprised at how much a little research into an areas past can increase your production.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice start to a good collection!

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You need an Md, and be quiet about your findings.
If your finding that size,there maybe,and most likely is bigger down a little deeper.
I would not be telling anybody, and watch your back side.

OP
OP
S

shawn32671

Jul 4, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about there being much bigger since Iowa is supposed to have just placer gold but you never know for sure I suppose. And definately going to be keeping my mouth shut about where.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions