Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my first inclination is that it is a trunk strap adjuster.safari type...I'll look further for you

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
breezy knows far more than I on these matters...I defer to her expertise

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Despite minor differences I would presume it to be close to the same date as this one; FINALLY broke my silver slump......5 silver day
Stated to have a 1877 patent date, which I have no reason to doubt, but likely continued to use this patent into the 1880's and 90's, as Breezie suggested.

Thats an exact match ben.

If you could read the month and date we could search the patent. Its under the elephant part.

buckle elephant.jpg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Wow, you guys are great! Lots of accumulated knowledge there- thanks for sharing it with me! I can't find a date anywhere on this thing, although it does seem to be an exact match to the one above. I think I'll mark it so Ed, Nyway. Thanks again to All!

Upvote 1

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I was surprised that there weren't more images easily available online, as I think it's a cool little buckle!
The minor differences I noted were; at the ends of the long slot one is rounded, one is squared. And the shape of the hole below the elephant is a bit different. But, yes, they're very very close.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow, you guys are great! Lots of accumulated knowledge there- thanks for sharing it with me! I can't find a date anywhere on this thing, although it does seem to be an exact match to the one above. I think I'll mark it so Ed, Nyway. Thanks again to All!

The date would be under the elephant. PATENT ________1877. We are looking for the month and day.
buckle elephant patent 1877.JPG

Because there is no patent date, your buckle is post 1894 as utility patents were good for only 17 years. Yes there are some minor differences , as noted.
patents utility.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BCH, the photo you posted far above, apparently copied from another forum, showing a (presumably) Elephant brand suspenders-buckle, to my eyes seems to show the patent date is actually 1871, not 1877. If you still have that photo, please closely re-examine the date, and let me know whether the final number is a 1 or a 7. TIA.

Upvote 0

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
(2) Minelab E-Tracs, Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics G2+ LTD, Blisstool LTC64X V6 3 coil pkg, (2) Deteknix X-PinPointers, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Fisher F-Pulse PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this is an old post... but, I was wondering if you might help me on this suspender buckle? Is the date of 1876, possibly the real date of manufacture in your estimation? Anxiously waiting any help you're willing to give!

IMG_0277 (2).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    897.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0278 (2).JPG
    IMG_0278 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this is an old post... but, I was wondering if you might help me on this suspender buckle? Is the date of 1876, possibly the real date of manufacture in your estimation? Anxiously waiting any help you're willing to give!

View attachment 1890799

Simply a guess here, but I would think that it would have been a Centennial clip, and manufactured and bought in or near that year to celebrate.

Upvote 1
Oct 22, 2020
NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum SLT, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1890799

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2020
NYS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1890799
This buckle was likely made in 1876. The Philadelphia centennial exposition, was held this year. Manufacturers from all over were at this event. I have this same buckle. I have not cleaned it yet and was unaware that there was a date on it. You helped me! Thank you! Nice find!

Upvote 2
Oct 22, 2020
NYS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in the yard of a very old house where the yard seems to be untouched. Only a fes inches down. It appears to be brass. Not sure if the elephant represents something or is simply declarative. Also approximate date? Thanks for your knowledge an help!
I have a couple styles of this buckle, including this one. It has, Pat. Mar. 7. 71. & Sept. 21. 1875. The other style has, Pat. Mar. 7. 71. & Nov. 3. 74. Judging by the shape of the elephant, I have tied this buckle to "The Great Western Brace", sold by the American Suspender Company. Type Great Western Brace into your explorer and you should find an advertisement for them. This is the type of information, I am putting into the guide in my group. I've been studying them for a very long time.

Upvote 2

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a couple styles of this buckle, including this one. It has, Pat. Mar. 7. 71. & Sept. 21. 1875. The other style has, Pat. Mar. 7. 71. & Nov. 3. 74. Judging by the shape of the elephant, I have tied this buckle to "The Great Western Brace", sold by the American Suspender Company. Type Great Western Brace into your explorer and you should find an advertisement for them. This is the type of information, I am putting into the guide in my group. I've been studying them for a very long time.
Thanks for the info! What is "your group"? I'd love to see your guide.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions