Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They made Rail cars.It started in new Jersey 1899 ...neat find....Osage

Thanks. I have looked online for pics that give me a clue but no luck yet. When I looked in the hole, my heart jumped. First thing I thought was " It's a Morgan Dollar". When I recovered it, I was still happy because I knew the company had closed many years ago, and they actually made tanks for WW2 in addition to rail cars.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a pretty cool tag. I like finding things like that, but they are a bit depressing too to think about all the industry we've lost......

Yes. I think this particular one closed in 1961. I read an article saying the closure devastated the community. Thanks for the reply. If I find out what it is, I will post it.

Upvote 0

osage express

Oct 22, 2012
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236-x2 --Whites TM808---Whites Bullseye 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been trying to find out what Lost means.But nothing yet.I know what you mean about Morgans they get the blood flowing.I haven't found any silver this year YET LoL .....Osage

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a Lost luggage token. If they lost you're luggage or something you could have been issued this. Just a guess.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, this is an update. I emailed a pic of this find to a gentleman who lives in the town that had the company this is from. He has a wonderful website about this company. His contacts have said it is definitely a tool check token. When a tool was lost after being checked out by a worker, this token was hung in the tool's place so the person who ordered tools would know it needed to be replaced. I will let the powers that be decide if this is solved.
The neat thing about finding this is the amount of history I learned in researching the item. This company has a link to Adolf Hitler! It was on his " list of targets to be destroyed ". Google " American Car & Foundry, Berwick, Pa" to learn it's history. Thanks to all for your interest and suggestions.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok, this is an update. I emailed a pic of this find to a gentleman who lives in the town that had the company this is from. He has a wonderful website about this company. His contacts have said it is definitely a tool check token. When a tool was lost after being checked out by a worker, this token was hung in the tool's place so the person who ordered tools would know it needed to be replaced. I will let the powers that be decide if this is solved.
The neat thing about finding this is the amount of history I learned in researching the item. This company has a link to Adolf Hitler! It was on his " list of targets to be destroyed ". Google " American Car & Foundry, Berwick, Pa" to learn it's history. Thanks to all for your interest and suggestions.
A tool check sounds good but why no hole and what was it soldered to? Can you postr a pic of the backside? Most tool checks have a number and a hole.

Attachments

• TOOL CHECK.jpg
    TOOL CHECK.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
It is cool no matter what it's original purpose was.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A tool check sounds good but why no hole and what was it soldered to? Can you postr a pic of the backside? Most tool checks have a number and a hole.

Here is the back. You can see something was definitely soldered at one time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it is bent and just a bit thinner than a coin. A friend suggested it could have been a temporary replacement ID badge if a worker forgot or lost his. The problem is that many of the people who worked here have passed on. The plant closed in 1961.

Upvote 0

VictorVincimus

Mar 11, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool. Like a chit system.

Thats all I need is one more hobby. I have to quit my job.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Yes, it is bent and just a bit thinner than a coin. A friend suggested it could have been a temporary replacement ID badge if a worker forgot or lost his.
That sounds more likely as there is no hole to hang it from. Your pic is out of focus but it looks as if a pin clip may have been soldered to the backside.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I apologize for the low quality pics.....my iPod doesn't take close ups very well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread