very unbelievable!!!! haha ANOTHER, YEP

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
ok, here is how it happened. a week ago, while at my bday dinner i was outside smoking at the restraunt , its nightime, i look down and see a large black emerald cut gem. i pick it up and its plastic. bummer. now, few days ago i had to sell off some gold and silver to help pay the down payment for our new car. i was kinda upset that we had to sell so much. after i sold the bullion i was on the phone with my wife talking to her about it. while talking i had the phone between my shoulder and cheek talking and looking at the ground while walking. something gleamed and caught my eye. i looked closer and in the asfault in a crack, half covered with sand i pick up a 1/4"2mm diamond? i get all excited and explain to my wife what just happened. i get hope and start trying to look for inclusions. i cant tell if there are or not. later that day i go to a jewler who examines with his loupe. he says its not real. so i put it on the backburner to get checked by a machine some day. 4 days later (yesterday) i was again on the phone, with my mom this time, holding the phone the same way looking at the ground while removing things from our car. and something catches my eye......... in a crack between the driveway and laid brick....... another diamond?!!!!!! this time 1/4". i really started freaking out. i have not yet gone to get this one checked. now im sure no one believes me but its no lie. honest to god. REAL OR FAKE THEY REPRESENT DIAMONDS. im starting to worry about omens and what not no. the first one was beginners luck, the second one??? no way, not in a week, not even trying!!! so PLEASE if anyone knows what this means, please contact me!!!!!
and this all happened miles apart
i have pics, but they are at home, im at work and will upload later tonight.
Chong

Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: very unbelievable!!!!please read if you know about diamonds and myths/omens

Dude...you make it sound like a bad thing...keep your eyes to the ground! If you don't want any more stray diamonds I'll PM you my addy and you can send them to me!

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

:)

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA

another great cheat to tell a diamond from a cz is by refractive index.

a diamond is so refractive that when laid upsidedown, you cannot read through it
(It looks like a kaleidoscope) A CZ you can read through, not clearly, but you can make out the letters.

cool story, keep looking....women don't take care of their jewelry they way they should...on a 4 prong setting, you loose one prong, you loose the stone. Happens more than you realize.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

cool, ill try that one too

Quester

Mar 1, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
XLT, Silvermax, Compadre

Meh, superstition. You just have an acute sense of sight :D

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000

The best way I know of to check a diamond is an eletronic diamond tester. If it is real you get a beep and a green light. If it is fake you get nothing. A few years ago I found an 18kt [diamind ] studed earing in the water. I took it to a jeweler I know and trust. The gold was real and the nice size diamonds were fake. Bummer,I bought a diamond tester. Mike.

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005

Mike Silver -gold said:
The best way I know of to check a diamond is an eletronic diamond tester. If it is real you get a beep and a green light. If it is fake you get nothing. A few years ago I found an 18kt [diamind ] studed earing in the water. I took it to a jeweler I know and trust. The gold was real and the nice size diamonds were fake. Bummer,I bought a diamond tester. Mike.

Interesting. How much do they cost? There is a relatively new kind of fake on the market, which apparently can fool detectors.

http://www.lacywest.com/t_mtest.htm#moissanitescams

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

wow, very cool. might i add, after finding the stones i purchased my first texas lotto ticket.............. bummer again

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000

I paid $50.00 for mine. Thats a little high. I think you can get them on ebay for less. As far as fakes stones that can fool a tester. All I can do is test them with my tester. If they show as real ,thats the best I can do. Mike.

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005

Mike Silver -gold said:
I paid $50.00 for mine. Thats a little high. I think you can get them on ebay for less. As far as fakes stones that can fool a tester. All I can do is test them with my tester. If they show as real ,thats the best I can do. Mike.

Right. Only if it passes the tester does it even warrant further thought.

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho

I took my 8 year old metal detecting about a year ago. He kept asking me to "try it here grandpa". Sure enough, he said it about four times and each time I tried the detector I found a quarter.

On the 5th try he started laughing as he was dropping them for me to find.

Moral of story? Maybe your wife is messing with you and getting even with you for buying a new car. :icon_scratch:

Tony

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Three stones eyeballing that's awsome :o The only difference between you and me is....... I'd be on my hands & knees with a whisk broom! The area would have the cleanest cracks you ever saw! :D

Real or not it's a good sign!

A long time ago, there was a local jewlery store that had a grass strip between the parking spaces and the sidewalk. Searched that strip numerous times, finding lots of gold & silver jewlery pieces and some really good finds too. Was sure bummed when the jewler moved, my honey hole didn't get replenished any more.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

angelo, i think thats it :)
boogeyman, that right there shows how careless people are with thier property......... sheesh i wish i had a honey hole like that too:)

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

haha, nooooooo way. well the other day i was thinking about deleting this post, being they were not real diamonds. seriously like a week ago. so tonight, i decide to call my cousin up........ its night outside, the only light are the orange street lights. im looking at the ground while talking, yes again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a glint of light catches my eye............... yes again.............. i bend down to check it out, and wedged between some bricks, out pops a stone. lol, a emerald style diamond or CZ. im not really in shock about it, seems normal now. and wy wife dont give a hoot. maybe we will if its real. i dont have a cam at the moment so im learning the scanner. pics are aweful. im showing it dirty, just as found a hour ago :) and of course ill post the outcome within a few days.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 2,575
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 2,568
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,553

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of stones get lost from jewelry, much much more than people think. Justine093 is correct. The most just disappear never to be found again, but sometimes they get into cracks and if the sun shines you can find them, that is if you are looking. 99% of the normal people don't look down when they walk, but about 85% of them do if they are metal detectorists. Then they can be found, but they are hard to find for sure. Great story!

T

The.Boomer

The moral to this story is " Forget the chin up adage, better to keep your eye to the ground, If nothing else it will keep you from tripping" ! :tongue3:

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The.Boomer said:
The moral to this story is " Forget the chin up adage, better to keep your eye to the ground, If nothing else it will keep you from tripping" ! :tongue3:

WOW, well said Boomer!

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
yep, i think everyone should try this for a week and lets see who finds what!!!! would be fun. lol, i was even out last night with my flash light. hahahah, seriously. well ima get it checked tomorrow, will update

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread