very unbelievable!!!! haha ANOTHER, YEP

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
ok, here is how it happened. a week ago, while at my bday dinner i was outside smoking at the restraunt , its nightime, i look down and see a large black emerald cut gem. i pick it up and its plastic. bummer. now, few days ago i had to sell off some gold and silver to help pay the down payment for our new car. i was kinda upset that we had to sell so much. after i sold the bullion i was on the phone with my wife talking to her about it. while talking i had the phone between my shoulder and cheek talking and looking at the ground while walking. something gleamed and caught my eye. i looked closer and in the asfault in a crack, half covered with sand i pick up a 1/4"2mm diamond? i get all excited and explain to my wife what just happened. i get hope and start trying to look for inclusions. i cant tell if there are or not. later that day i go to a jewler who examines with his loupe. he says its not real. so i put it on the backburner to get checked by a machine some day. 4 days later (yesterday) i was again on the phone, with my mom this time, holding the phone the same way looking at the ground while removing things from our car. and something catches my eye......... in a crack between the driveway and laid brick....... another diamond?!!!!!! this time 1/4". i really started freaking out. i have not yet gone to get this one checked. now im sure no one believes me but its no lie. honest to god. REAL OR FAKE THEY REPRESENT DIAMONDS. im starting to worry about omens and what not no. the first one was beginners luck, the second one??? no way, not in a week, not even trying!!! so PLEASE if anyone knows what this means, please contact me!!!!!
and this all happened miles apart
i have pics, but they are at home, im at work and will upload later tonight.
Chong

Upvote 0

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The only people who can authenticate a real diamond are certified gemologists specializing in jewelry. However, if you are browsing rings at a flea market and want to quickly assess whether a clear stone is probably glass, cubic zirconium, quartz, or leaded crystal, there are a few easy tests you can apply without any special equipment. These tests at least rule out recognizable imposters because they rely on the way a real diamond stone refracts light, conducts heat, and looks up-close.

If the gem in question is loose and unmounted, try placing it over printing. Diamonds refract so much light that they will not work as a magnifying glass and you would see no lines, circles, or letters through them. Other clear stones like glass or crystal will reveal the print clearly. A similar test uses a small light, such as the one that comes with your key ring. If you shine the light through the stone and cannot see it on the other side, but only a bright halo around the rim, it is more likely to be a true diamond.

Diamonds are also very good at conducting heat. Breathe on the surface of the stone and immediately check to see if it has fogged up. Again, quartz, glass, and cubic zirconium will stay hazy for a moment before the condensation dissipates, but you shouldn't be able to see any moisture on a true diamond. However, one rock, called moissanite, will also pass this test, so the best way is to get a complete thermal conductivity evaluation performed by a jeweler.

Looking closely at the specks, ridges, and facets can also give you a clue into the identity of your gem. Diamonds do have inclusions, tiny bits of other minerals that got crushed into the diamond while it formed deep under the earth. However, if the facets have worn or rounded edges, bubbles, or if the gem looks rippled or pitted, it is probably glass. Those gems that are perfectly clear, with absolutely no inclusions, are probably quartz.

Finally, some common sense measures can prevent you from getting pressured to purchase a gem that turns out to be something other than a diamond. It shouldn't be ridiculously inexpensive, or you'll get what you pay for. It also will usually be mounted in an "open back" setting, which means that you can see around the rear of the gem and the back surface isn't coated with any silvery substance. Although it's true that diamonds are the hardest organic substance on earth, the infamous test of scratching diamonds across glass or metal might just give you a damaged diamond.

Even many gemologists cannot distinguish "real" diamonds from cultured diamonds. Cultured diamonds have been artificially manmade in a laboratory, not mined from mountains, yet they are chemically identical to those diamonds. Some companies are developing new kinds of identification methods for those who would like to purchase a mined diamond or for those that prefer a cultured one."
I hope this will help.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
very good advice. so the little multimeter looking devices they use to test the diamonds is accurate tho, right?

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chong2 said:
very good advice. so the little multimeter looking devices they use to test the diamonds is accurate tho, right?
Yes it should be. :icon_scratch:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Here's something strange to add:

I just read your story a few days ago. Right after I read your story, I was taking my brother to my Mom's house and during conversation, she pulled something out of her pocket. She said she found it on the library floor. It was a diamond looking stone just like yours. I immediately thought about this story and had my camera in the truck, so I took a pic. Then she gave it to me. I'm fairly sure it isn't real, but what are the odds? I never find gems or hear of people finding them, until now.

Attachments

• IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,195

Coinzapper

Dec 7, 2008
Lansford. PA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Modified, Tesoro Tejon. Garrett 1500, Fisher CoinStrike, Tek G2, tek omega.
cheese said:
Here's something strange to add:

I just read your story a few days ago. Right after I read your story, I was taking my brother to my Mom's house and during conversation, she pulled something out of her pocket. She said she found it on the library floor. It was a diamond looking stone just like yours. I immediately thought about this story and had my camera in the truck, so I took a pic. Then she gave it to me. I'm fairly sure it isn't real, but what are the odds? I never find gems or hear of people finding them, until now.
The difference between false memories and true ones is the same as for jewels: it is always the false ones that look the most real, the most brilliant.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I read where you can lay a stone like that on a piece of paper I believe its face down, and shine a light through the botton of it, and you will see a black ring in it if it cubic. If it a diamond it want have the ring in it. I looked that up in the computer after I found one. It had the black ring in it.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
very cool cheese, watch now she will be finding them often. go get it checked, it just may be worth a few hundred or thousand dollars, they never charge to check.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread