😱😱VERY VERY RARE CIVIL WAR NC SUNBURST BUTTON!

SGT WHITEY

Jan 29, 2021
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: BD4F3F61-AF11-409E-A21B-CE2C3207B217.jpeg 0B9CC772-C7AF-4D49-9FFC-EA9DAD542365.jpeg

I scored this beauty today with the Garrett Ace Apex! Found out it’s very rare, being told only 1 of 8 known to exist!

Upvote 74
OP
OP
SGT WHITEY

SGT WHITEY

Jan 29, 2021
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I think so too. I love it. I still can't believe I dug something so rare! It was from an NC MILITIA from pre Civil War. Maybe they weren't a unit very long. Per the late C. Terry Teff's book, it was from the NC 7th. They had a few designs like the NORTH CAROLINA PINE TREE button that looks lot like this one. It just has a pine-tree instead of a sunburst in the center.
That is a beautiful button, and its rarity only makes it more special. I wonder why so few were apparently made? Congrats!

OP
OP
SGT WHITEY

SGT WHITEY

Jan 29, 2021
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. First off I want to say thanks for the many complements and warm welcomes. Secondly, to those that have a question about my activity on this forum and about this button.... I want to start off by saying I've never been much of forum follower or poster. I have mainly only done FB, FB live videos, IG, IG videos, TikTok Videos, MeWe post, and YouTube video creator. When I was sent a FB MESSENGER invite to post my button to this page, I had no clue what to expect or how it all actually worked. I created an account and posed it. Never really went back on the page until today when I got hit up by someone else to login and reply to folks comments. So for that, please forgive my ignorance. lol

Now to those who have questioned my find as being authentic or real. Here is the back story.... Hope it will change your mind and allow you to realize this is 100% legit and a one million kind of a kind rare find.... Here we go....

While doing some research in an area that I had recently received permission to, but had to wait until after deer season to explore. I plotted a few early 1900’s homesites, from a 1914 soils survey, on my phone to check out when I got to be on the property. Right after deer season, I set out to explore the 1st and 2nd homesite I plotted first to see what I could find. They were the two cleanest and easiet to metal detect. I found a few things, nothing older than the 1900's. Then I went to my third plotted homesite later in the day and scored an 1858 seated half dime, 181? Large cent, Civil War eagle button, Civil War three ringer, floral button, and 2 percussion caps all on the first day! Supper excited, I couldn’t wait to come back. I have now been to this site about 10 times (I THINK) and each time, I find something old, awesome and I know this is true virgin site. I have dug things from the late 1700's, early to mid 1800's and 1900's to about 1945ish. I have dug many floral buttons, flat buttons, KG half penny, tombac button, a union staff officers eagle button, plus the rarest of off all, the NC SUNBURST 17mm button. It is a sandy cotton field that is still pending the farmer to turn it real good so I can get better swings in.

I have decided to use a combination of two machines on this permission, various coils to see what else I could find. I was using the Garrett AT MAX with the THUNDER NEL COIL, Standard coil and the new AT VIPER coil along with the Garrett Ace APEX with the Big coil and the APEX coil. I would start with one and then switch to the other or alternate between the two in an area to see if I can land on something that the other may have missed.

Finally on my sixth or seventh trip out and while using the Garrett Ace APEX with the Viper coil, I get this screaming 76 VDI. I pop the sandy cotton field plug. Not finding the target right away, I grab my pin-pointer and it’s in the 12:00 o'clock side wall. I use my hands to scrap the sand out until I see a round item pop out. As I grab a hold and begin to wipe the sand off from the face of the item. I start to see something amazing and I start to shake with excitement! I couldn’t believe my eyes as I read “NORTH CAROLINA” and see a sunburst in the middle of what looked to be a button. I flip it over and sure enough there is a shank too! Now I’m very excited, I snap a few pictures then a quick video for my future YouTube video. I couldn’t wait to share this item with my friends and followers, so I went to Facebook and went live!

I later found out from a buddy who had a book titled “North Carolina Civil War Buttons” by the late Terry Teff, this button is ULTRA SUPER RARE! I am being told that only 1 of 8 (now) known to exist! That stat I am not 100% sure on. That is just what I am being told. When I go to try and search for this button on the web, NOTHING is coming up. The only example I know of is the one in the book and mine. I couldn’t believe I had just unearthed such a rare and amazing piece of North Carolina, Pre to Civil War and American history!

“DIG IT ALL, SAVE SOME HISTORY”

Shawn “SGT WHITEY” Sherrill
North Carolina, USA

YouTube link:
https://youtube.com/c/SGTsDiscoveries

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a good one congrats!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is 100% real. It is not a fake or a remake. I have found a lot of history at this one site. From late 1700's all the way to 1940's. There are about 2 or 3 BIG gaps though. Like something happened to the original house, then someone moved back to the property then something happened to that house and then a 1900's site was there until about 1945.

Well then congratulations my brother you are holding history rare history like so rare I want to steal it from you LOL You’d be proud that’s a once in a lifetime I absolutely love it

OP
OP
SGT WHITEY

SGT WHITEY

Jan 29, 2021
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Truth.... Appreciate it.
Well then congratulations my brother you are holding history rare history like so rare I want to steal it from you LOL You’d be proud that’s a once in a lifetime I absolutely love it

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the backstory, Sarge. I'd love to see more pictures of your sunburst. Is it silver? The first pictures almost look black & white? Great find and welcome aboard!

OP
OP
SGT WHITEY

SGT WHITEY

Jan 29, 2021
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you.... It is a copper type button. These pics show the most detail, because the sand was still on it. Once the sand was whipped off its harder to see the details.

OP
OP
SGT WHITEY

SGT WHITEY

Jan 29, 2021
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you.... It is a copper type button. These pics show the most detail, because the sand was still on it. Once the sand was whipped off its harder to see the details.QUOTE=sandchip;6690129]Thanks for the backstory, Sarge. I'd love to see more pictures of your sunburst. Is it silver? The first pictures almost look black & white? Great find and welcome aboard![/QUOTE]

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The condition of that button is phenomenal, and the rarity is not less so. Big Congrats!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find my friend I’m voting banner

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find SGT and welcome to TreasureNet. I don't think members were questioning if you actually found it, couple may have wondered if it was an original is all. Members know to accuse someone of faking a find with out concrete proof shown to admins will earn timeouts.

We hope you keep on posting your finds here....

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because some well-made reproductions of scarce civil war buttons have been manufactured, nad have turned up "looking dug," caution and careful checking is wise. In this case, I am certain that this is what collectors of "Historical Buttons" call a genuine Original, not a modernday Reproduction... and I'm voting Banner Find.

OP
OP
SGT WHITEY

SGT WHITEY

Jan 29, 2021
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks and I appreciate the update. I have never faked anything and I will never post anything fake or reproduction.
Great find SGT and welcome to TreasureNet. I don't think members were questioning if you actually found it, couple may have wondered if it was an original is all. Members know to accuse someone of faking a find with out concrete proof shown to admins will earn timeouts.

We hope you keep on posting your finds here....

OP
OP
SGT WHITEY

SGT WHITEY

Jan 29, 2021
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know 100% without a doubt this button is an original. It is not a fake or reproduction.
Because some well-made reproductions of scarce civil war buttons have been manufactured, nad have turned up "looking dug," caution and careful checking is wise. In this case, I am certain that this is what collectors of "Historical Buttons" call a genuine Original, not a modernday Reproduction... and I'm voting Banner Find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread