Victory Over Obamacare: Fed Court Rules ...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Victory Over Obamacare: Fed Court Rules Catholic Organizations Don’t Have To Provide Contraceptive Coverage To Employees

BY*STEVE STRAUB
DECEMBER 16, 2013*·

This sounds like a very promising development and a victory for the First Amendment and religious freedom.

Via the*New York Post:

In a blow to President Obama’s signature legislative mandate, a Brooklyn federal judge on Monday sided with several Catholic organizations in New York, saying they do not have to comply with an Affordable Care Act requirement to provide employees with contraceptive coverage.

Citing religious freedom grounds, the organizations filed the lawsuit last year seeking protection from the Obamacare directive.

In the first permanent ruling on the hot-button issue, US District Court Judge Brian Cogan said the religious groups should not be forced to comply with the birth control component of Obamacare. …

The controversial Obamacare component has sparked a flurry of lawsuits from religious employers seeeking relief from the birth control mandate.

Cogan ruled the plaintiffs “demonstrated that the mandate, despite accommodation, compels them to perform acts that are contrary to their religion. And there can be no doubt that the coercive pressure here is substantial.”

I think this a good sign and a substantial victory for religious freedom and does major damage to Obamacare.

Victory Over Obamacare: Fed Court Rules Catholic Organizations Don?t Have To Provide Contraceptive Coverage To Employees - The Federalist Papers

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who needs family planning?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who needs family planning?
The only person I can think of, is my widowed grandmother neighbor, raising her 2 daughters children, alone.
She may want it, for her two girls, that are still dropping eggs (and their pants). :BangHead:

The day I need a defunct government to "help me" with my healthcare choices, will be when someone needs to put me in a nursing home, or just put me down. :tongue3:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually stay away from political topics, however, I went into Obama Care with an open mind but after researching it, "It really is a American crisis in the making" that was primarily drafted around the future financing/support of the big business cash-flow system. Just imagine, guaranteed and enforced income from nearly every citizen in this country. It has nothing to do with bettering the current health care system. All it is.....is another bailout.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can someone PLEASE explain what I'm "missing" here with this question?

QUESTION: If Obamacare needs the younger America's to sign up in droves to offset the other end of this law... then why are 26 year olds allowed to stay on their parents policy? In other words why would any youngster sign up when there already covered? I have got to be missing something. The WHOLE thing just needs to go away... PERIOD.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't truly reform something of this magnitude without making certain that you take care of certain special interest, thus, no real reform or benefit to the average citizen. Politicians who oppose Obamacare aren't opposing it on behalf of the citizen, but rather their opposition is fueled by other special interest. The system is badly broken & corrupted and in need of a major overhaul that is never going to happen as long as the current political party system remains in place. As long as they can keep that continuous conflict in play there will never be unity.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I just want to know how hiring hundreds, maybe thousands, of new government employees to oversee this and regulate it and run badly designed websites is going to make it cheaper...

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Catholic organizations don't have to abide by this "law" because of religious beliefs, then wouldn't ALL Catholics be given the opportunity to opt out? Then it seems that, even if you were really an atheist, you could just tell the IRS police that you are a Catholic and you don't want to pay extra for those that decide to kill their babies. What about those that just believe in no medical intervention? Why should they pay for health insurance?
Seems that, even if you aren't "Catholic", if you say you don't believe in artificial birth control, you needn't have to pay for it either. Why do you have to be in a Catholic "organization" to be excused. And the walls came tumblin' down!

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this had of been about getting ppl healthcare, all those millions/billions thrown around would have been used to open week long clinics, with doctors, nurses, and equipment, to help ppl that don't have insurance or doctors.
We have health clinics in almost every major city in this country, that money could have put doctors in those clinics and get the word out, to have ppl come get medical care.

This is about the O dreaming teams attempt, to be the middleman, in one of the largest money making industries in this country.
All they care about is the money! They know they are protected, in their white castle world.
They could really care less, if us poor serfs get healthcare. Well, unless the cameras are on.........

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Catholic organizations don't have to abide by this "law" because of religious beliefs, then wouldn't ALL Catholics be given the opportunity to opt out? Then it seems that, even if you were really an atheist, you could just tell the IRS police that you are a Catholic and you don't want to pay extra for those that decide to kill their babies. What about those that just believe in no medical intervention? Why should they pay for health insurance?
Seems that, even if you aren't "Catholic", if you say you don't believe in artificial birth control, you needn't have to pay for it either. Why do you have to be in a Catholic "organization" to be excused. And the walls came tumblin' down!

Packer, you bring up a very dark & looming point of debate, and not just a Catholic one. Specifically, "Church & State" VS "Personal Religious and Moral Beliefs/Freedoms". The keyword in this debate is "Church" instead of "Religion". In essence, those of differing personal religious beliefs, that may in fact harbor the same contraceptive/abortion ideology as the Catholic Church, are thus being persecuted in the face of their faith/religion simply because they do not belong to a recognized "Church". Thus the argument could be made that by excluding only those members of the Catholic Church the separation of church and state has been violated by the open recognizing and "accommodating" of only one. By including and accommodating "only the Catholic Church" then the Church, or more accurately, "Only A Church" has been recognized, singled out, and "included" in the affairs of State. In other words, when you draft a law around only one, that one becomes a central part and significant influence upon the affairs of state. Would make for a very interesting court case, I would think. :dontknow:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right you are scoop, and this is just the tip. They are now having to deal with volunteer firefighters and whether they are "employees" or not and then what, volunteers for the Red Cross? What about them? Will the Red Cross have to pay for their health insurance? What about the Salvation Army, food centers and every other place volunteers work? And so on, and so on.........

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right you are scoop, and this is just the tip. They are now having to deal with volunteer firefighters and whether they are "employees" or not and then what, volunteers for the Red Cross? What about them? Will the Red Cross have to pay for their health insurance? What about the Salvation Army, food centers and every other place volunteers work? And so on, and so on.........

They've lawed themselves right into a paradox. "Oh darn. Oooops! Now what?" :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like someone opening a new store and no one comes to shop in it.
Pass a stupid law, ppl may not follow along with it.
(It's also questionable, whether it's a "law" or not. It is good, that all should have medical care and treatment, but something just keeps telling me, that was not "their" intentions).

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fact: Mr. William Bradford and the separists came to the New World in 1620 to establish religious freedom from England. Look at us now, A maniac trying to crush the very roots of America.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fixing to go see a medial provider (doctor). I've been questioning them, as to how has this affected their practice, and/or their personal insurances and lives.
One doctor(whose wife has pre-existing cancer condition), was able to purchase BC/BS insurance directly from them, here in Florida. He said the price and benefits were comparable to their past plan, he also liked the "plus" that they would not be discriminated against because of Mrs, pre-ex condition. He did not go through the "exchange".

I haven't had any tell me they will close their doors, yet. They are telling me, their patients who may lose or have insurance problems, they will become a "fee for service" provider. Meaning, they will charge a flat fee for services at a discount, for patients who have to pay the bills from their pocket.

It is good to KNOW your doctor, ask questions/converse with them, have a relationship with them, and secure the fact, that they will continue to treat you, if their services are needed.
They are getting the short end of the stick in this situation also, in regards to insurance/provider contracts, fee schedule agreements, and reimbursements.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It must be a "law" pat because they are going to fine those that don't adhere to it. It had to be signed into law so we could "see what's in it". It's the "surprise" law. Some of us aren't surprised.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fact: Mr. William Bradford and the separists came to the New World in 1620 to establish religious freedom from England. Look at us now, A maniac trying to crush the very roots of America.

It's not any single politician who is to blame, it's the simple fact that the system has been allowed to become a corrupted big money machine. These people don't get into office without the aid of big money backing them, and here lays the root to the problem. Ideally, all campaign contributions should go into the same kitty and then get dished out evenly among those who are running for office. But, do this and so much for campaign contributions. This alone should tell us something very obvious about what, and who, is really steering America, and why. And at the current rate I doubt we'll ever see another one term president, the first four years being spent telling the American people everything they ant to hear and then the last four years being spent incorporating whatever your high powered backers and supporters really want done. Seems to be a consistent pattern in recent years offices and terms.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Victory over Obamacare!!! LOL!!!

There is a bridge for sale near where the New York Post is published!!!!

I say that because in order to survive the New York Post will say anything!!!!

This isn't a victory over Obamacare. This is one small element of Obamacare that wasn't carefully thought out.

Volunteer fire fighters will most likely be the next exemption. That too will not be a victory over Obamacare. Only ironing the kinks of unintended consequences in a massive law.

Packer: Catholic Churches will be exempt from paying for abortions for their employees. Catholic Churches should be exempt because creation of life is written into their theology. They will have to comply with all other aspects of the law.

As for individuals being exempt for religious reasons? How would that work? "I don't believe in abortion so i shouldn't have to pay for a health care plan that covers one?"

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Victory over Obamacare!!! LOL!!!

There is a bridge for sale near where the New York Post is published!!!!

I say that because in order to survive the New York Post will say anything!!!!

This isn't a victory over Obamacare. This is one small element of Obamacare that wasn't carefully thought out.

Volunteer fire fighters will most likely be the next exemption. That too will not be a victory over Obamacare. Only ironing the kinks of unintended consequences in a massive law.

Packer: Catholic Churches will be exempt from paying for abortions for their employees. Catholic Churches should be exempt because creation of life is written into their theology. They will have to comply with all other aspects of the law.

As for individuals being exempt for religious reasons? How would that work? "I don't believe in abortion so i shouldn't have to pay for a health care plan that covers one?"

It is a victory over lucifer'scare, you saying otherwise doesn't change that. Every ruling against is a victory.....

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread