Video 5 - Explorations at Herman Petrashs Cabin

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome video Ryan. I thoroughly enjoyed your video. Love the boot heal. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to go out and buy one of those metal detectors. Great combination with Frank's expertise and your narration and research.. great job. The only thing I would suggest in my opinion is maybe a little bit of background score. I think it would help us feel the mood of discovery.
Well done...

OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq & Vaquero

Leupold BX-3 Mojave & RX1200i Rangefinder
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome video Ryan. I thoroughly enjoyed your video. Love the boot heal. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to go out and buy one of those metal detectors. Great combination with Frank's expertise and your narration and research.. great job. The only thing I would suggest in my opinion is maybe a little bit of background score. I think it would help us feel the mood of discovery.
Well done...

That's a great idea!! I used music in a few of my other videos - however the selection is small in what Apple offers in iMovie - what I use to edit the videos. It's illegal to use music in which you don't buy a license for - and a pretty hefty fine! There are selections online of other free audio clips - I'll check it out!

Thanks for the compliment - and offering great suggestions on how to make the videos more fun and exciting!

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very kind of you to offer Bill.

I've seen your videos as well - but am unsure where you filmed. I know where the small bridge is that you shot - but your desert footage - it doesn't look like where frank and I were.

I'll be posting video 6 - about the stone maps - in a few days. Let's pick up that conversation then?

Glad you liked our video and thanks for the support.

LV Bob. Thanks to you as well. I seem to find the strangest stuff - but to me - they're so cool. Potential pieces of history and legend.

I went here and I hope it was correct.

Same place I went years ago.

Did you guys try a hammer and chisel or pick to see if the rock was easy to break in those holes?

Excellent work my Vid's were thrown together for immediate release but your right the first area is unfamiliar as it was not the correct area. Sometimes getting lost has benefits like the sign I found and the sandstone blocks.

View attachment 1171371 View attachment 1171381

Last edited:
OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Bill - replied to you in the video 4 thread.

Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vor,

Glad you liked the first 4 videos - appreciate the compliment.

Tesoro makes great equipment (as witnessed by their online user reviews) and a big part of legend / treasure hunting is using a detector. I am sorry that you found footage dealing with metal detecting to be boring. I can understand - I think of the same thing while watching golf tournaments and fishing shows.

Thankfully, this is a treasure website where the vast majority of folks use detectors - and enjoy learning different styles / ways to prospect.

Appreciate the comment!

That Tesoro is a great detector,i have the same model, it will go super deep and can still pick up the silver,copper,lead,with the rusted iron laying right there with it,and like Frank said,its really nice to pack out in the field with its light weight. it was great seeing it in action in the video. I liked that digging tool Frank had also,i never seen one of those before. Keep it going guys,great stuff.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Bill
Ryan jumped in one of those holes and dug down 2 ft in no time to retrieve a target. At Hermans house I dug through the cement floor. You can see me pull out a large piece. It's getting toasty out but you forget digging a target. Going to a site that plays part in a Legend and finding something that plays in the story, well you can't have more fun than that. At the stone map site finding garbage from the late 40's in and next to the holes indicates someone was digging during that time period. Circumstantial physical evidence. Something happened there during that time period.
Sometimes digging garbage pays off. Even if it's a Hermans nail or a Travis beer can. It's still something they held and it can tell a story.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great Frank I respect even old junk finds if they're old. Believe me I've dug my share of many things that other people say are junk but I don't listen and bring it home anyways. My Wife doesn't like it. One time I brought home an old wine bottle that I found with my In-Law and he was the one making fun of me for doing so.

A week or two later I did some research on it and found out is was one of the most rare early Budweiser Bottles ever found! 1877

I still have it one display at my house.

One thing I caught while watching the Video, and I may be wrong, but, old Herman was sitting on a wooden porch not cement in the picture.

Did he upgrade the porch or was it another section of the house?

The stories things tell are fantastic! I found a couple of standing liberties at an old military post for buffalo soldiers and they had never been in circulation.
I did a history of that time period and what a history it was! 1917-1918 was the last Indian Battle to have occurred in the USA with the Buffalo Soldiers
at the border just a few miles away! They captured ten Indian's and one died in the gunfire. That was history. Then the Plague hit and most in the Arrivaca area died from it. So history is fascinating and makes you look at every small fragment of stuff you pull out with a MD. It goes towards dating the site and making a connection.

Again great work don't let people find fault in your finds in order to make the good finds you must dig everything that sets off the detector!

QUOTE=sgtfda;4555031]Bill
Ryan jumped in one of those holes and dug down 2 ft in no time to retrieve a target. At Hermans house I dug through the cement floor. You can see me pull out a large piece. It's getting toasty out but you forget digging a target. Going to a site that plays part in a Legend and finding something that plays in the story, well you can't have more fun than that. At the stone map site finding garbage from the late 40's in and next to the holes indicates someone was digging during that time period. Circumstantial physical evidence. Something happened there during that time period.
Sometimes digging garbage pays off. Even if it's a Hermans nail or a Travis beer can. It's still something they held and it can tell a story.[/QUOTE]

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the nice comments. Don't know that I've earned all that praise. I just throw in trivia points as I see them. Don't make `em right. Just furthers the conversation.

Westworld is a great facility. I haven't seen the "new and improved" but its a great show. You guys stole Brian Dygert, the general manager of Westworld, from us here on the east coast. Brian is a great fellow, horseman and teacher. You have a gem with him. If you ever want riding lessons, team up with Brian. He's a great verbal communicator. Something rare among true horsemen. Most (not all) good horsemen are non-verbal. LOL.

I'm trying to digested your comments on the wear on the boot heel. I even collected up my work boots and show boots to study the wear on them. You don't generally get wear on the front face of the heel. Not unless you have an improper foot position as a bad habit. That habit will get you in trouble in a hurry if you have an unscheduled dismount. In a proper position the front of the heel doesn't come in contact with the stirrup.

Where you get wear is on the upper inside arch area of the boot. A lot depends on if you use spurs and what type of spur straps. In my world the spur strap buckles fasten to the outside of the foot away from between you and the horse. I've seen folks fasten them to the inside but to me that's backwards. Whatever works for them is okay with me.

Good foot position and bad foot position illustrated below
Good Position -------------------------------------- Bad Position
good position.jpg wrong position outside.jpg
I do notice that your heel photo shows wear on the rear back of the heel on the outside, what I'm thinking is a right heel. That's walking wear and indicates a bowlegged stride.

OP
OP
RG1976

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Good Morning Lynda!

Good to know on typical wear patterns. You certainly would know more than I would when it comes to these types of things. It makes sense why a rider would be in "bad form" riding with the stirrup close to the heel - it'd only take one good fall to realize that.

Hmm.... this is going to be a hard one to solve. Frank and I have some other things we want to check out at Herman's site. I wont be making another video of it (we already have two) but I'll have to search around more and see what we can find. The day we were out there, it was HOT, as you heard Frank say in the video. We were not able to stay as long as we'd like. The benefit is - Herman's place is not a well known location among dutch hunters - so I feel pretty confident that we can keep exploring there without someone on our trail. (that means you Bill Reilly! lol lol )

Bowlegged stride....

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryan and Frank,
Bravo!!!
I appreciate the "Reality" of your presentations.
As a person who loves Metal Detecting it is refreshing to see the History being unearthed in a true 'Ryan' fashion.
From Narration to Discovery I appreciate what you bring to the forum and find myself not only immersed in your presentations but left with the thoughts swirling around trying to solve the clues presented.
Your reality has become a virtual world for many of us that can't venture out to the Superstitions.
It is truly refreshing to see the truism that you unveil for us to see, and I will continue to follow your videos as well as await the next venture!
Congrats on your Sponsorship as well!!!! Now I need to go and find a old cabin of my own to detect!
HH!
Tina

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fun video - grats on your sponsorship, but don't go all "Hollywood" on us now!!! :) I never had much luck with Tesoro's but I only tried 2 of them - really wanted them to work great for me because I love the lifetime warranty and their customer service was awesome, but they just didn't perform well enough for me. Maybe have to give one another try one of these days.

It's always a real challenge detecting around a junk infested site like Herman's old cabin site. Just so much metal scrap there that to find something truly "good" often requires hours and hours of removing the crap first. That said, just about everything you find there is a part of history of some kind, so that's always fun.

As far as the shoe/boot heel is concerned, I don't know when Herman started living in his "cabin" out there, but I always thought it was well after the Petrasch family had completely given up on Julia. I suppose anything is possible, but Herman had lots of visitors over the years.

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this, but the one thing that attracted my attention more than anything else wasn't asked about! So what's the story on the gold ore sample that Ryan got to handle and look at? There has to be some story associated with it!!! C'mon spill it!!

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Paul next time you stop by I will give you a Tesoro lesson. I gave Ryan a quick lesson and off he went. Herman is long gone and as you know it's cool to have a piece of his shack. I think I'll frame my piece. Next time I see Rick from Pawn Stars I see how much he will offer for it.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul next time you stop by I will give you a Tesoro lesson. I gave Ryan a quick lesson and off he went. Herman is long gone and as you know it's cool to have a piece of his shack. I think I'll frame my piece. Next time I see Rick from Pawn Stars I see how much he will offer for it.

Sounds good - I have or have had and used Whites, Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro, Technetics and a couple other brands of detector over the years. They each seem to have their good and bad points. I have 5 detectors now, but I find myself usually just going back to the same one I'm most familiar with - you get to the point where you can just read the tones that come from it.

I spent some time with the Tesoro folks with my last detector from them and tried a variety of things and just couldn't get any depth with it even after they looked it over and sent it back - ended up just returning it so maybe that one was a lemon - who knows.

I really wanted a Tesoro to work for me, so I'll give it another try one day.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been chucklin all day about the one find you guys made out there.....an extremely rare Jackalope nest.
Cause that's what that pile of branches and cholla balls was, and he's gonna be pissed when he gets back and find out someone's been messing with his abode.
Most folks don't know this, but those critters gather up all those branches and pile them up like that for camouflage. That's so you can't see their antlers, which is why they can't dig holes to live in, like other rabbits. This also makes them very aggressive and dangerous, but they do sometimes give warnings when you get close to their nest. They rattle their antlers against the branches, and if that isn't enough they'll flick the cholla balls at you. But if that isn't enough to get your attention, they WILL charge. Leave you black and blue from your ankles to your kneecaps, and snake gaiters don't help, cause them suckers are FAST and those antlers are sharp. If they get a run at you it's game over, and you're crawling back to the jeep.

Just thought I'd let ya know, so's you'll be better prepared next time....just in case.

Oh BTW.....sometimes like snakes, they don't rattle. The specially mean ones just stay real quiet and flick a cholla on to the back of your leg as you pass by.
Then, while your busy getting it off......WHAM.
I still have flashbacks and nightmares !!

Regards:SH.

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly why he got me Frank.
It was only 105 that day, and I hadn't quite thawed out yet.

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been chucklin all day about the one find you guys made out there.....an extremely rare Jackalope nest.
Cause that's what that pile of branches and cholla balls was, and he's gonna be pissed when he gets back and find out someone's been messing with his abode.
Most folks don't know this, but those critters gather up all those branches and pile them up like that for camouflage. That's so you can't see their antlers, which is why they can't dig holes to live in, like other rabbits. This also makes them very aggressive and dangerous, but they do sometimes give warnings when you get close to their nest. They rattle their antlers against the branches, and if that isn't enough they'll flick the cholla balls at you. But if that isn't enough to get your attention, they WILL charge. Leave you black and blue from your ankles to your kneecaps, and snake gaiters don't help, cause them suckers are FAST and those antlers are sharp. If they get a run at you it's game over, and you're crawling back to the jeep.

Just thought I'd let ya know, so's you'll be better prepared next time....just in case.

Oh BTW.....sometimes like snakes, they don't rattle. The specially mean ones just stay real quiet and flick a cholla on to the back of your leg as you pass by.
Then, while your busy getting it off......WHAM.
I still have flashbacks and nightmares !!

Regards:SH.

You have painted quite a visual! Now I am laughing too! I guess Frank and Ryan got lucky! [emoji195][emoji38]

i am the horse

Apr 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so whats up with the ore shown in the beginning of the video? whos picture is it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread