(**Video**) BIG Gold! My Hands are Still Shaking!

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would you believe a half-inch wedding band from the late 1800's?!!

Let's just start with the video ... :icon_thumright:
[youtube=425,350]RO0OVLllgCM[/youtube]
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=13pt][size=10pt]
**Size Update - Ring weighed in at 14.1 grams, or 10.575 grams of pure gold ... .339994441295 Troy Ounces (just over 1/3 ounce).
**Melt value is $458.51 at the current spot price!
[/size][/size][/size][/size]

So, as usual, I made my way back to my old mineral springs hotel site yesterday afternoon. I only had three hours to hunt, but I wanted to get some dirtfishing time in because bad weather is moving in tonight.

I decided to hunt near the top of the hill where the building sat. I actually focused on an area slightly behind where the "later" part (built in 1885) stood. I worked near a small cluster of trees.

I had only been at it for about fifteen minutes when I got a solid, repeating VDI of 74 on my MXT. Looked like a solid penny, so I dug, expecting an old wheatie. I cut a nice, big plug ... and my head almost exploded when I saw this staring at me out of the bottom of the plug ...
Gold in Hole.png

Holy Shamoley! That's gold! And not just any gold. It's BIG Gold. Here's a shot fresh out of the dirt that I captured from the video.
Gold Fresh Out.png

It is so HEAVY! I mean, it's the biggest gold ring that I have ever, personally, seen. Just a little under a full half-inch in width ...
02.04.11 18k Gold Ring Ruler.jpg

Here it is in my lovely wife's hand ...
02.04.11 18k Gold Ring Kim.jpg

It is 18k, and bears the mark of, "Mermod & Jaccard Jewelry Co."
02.04.11 18k Gold Ring Makers Mark.jpg

I did some research on the mark, and found this information on a site describing some art deco silver pieces made by this company:
The "Mermod, Jaccard" mark is that of a company that was founded in St. Louis in 1829 by Louis Jacquard. He was joined by A.S. Mermod in 1845 and Goodman King in 1865, and the company became Mermod, Jaccard & King Jewelry Co.
So ... the company existed under the names of "Mermod & Jaccard" only between the years 1845 and 1865. That means this ring was manufactured just before or during the Civil War!!

The ring has a fancy script-inscribed name inside, but I cannot make it out due to what appears to be heat damage. Indeed, even if the ring were an inch or two deep in the ground when the building burned, it was close enough to incur some damage from the intense heat.

Needless to say, I am seriously stoked about this find. I hope to be able to find someone nearby with a scale tomorrow so I can get an accurate weight and calculate the exact gold content. I weighed it on a small scale at the hospital where I work a part-time job, and it totaled it at exactly 0.5 ounce, but I don't trust that measurement ... seems a wee bit hefty (but close!).

Honestly, I'm not sure if this ring will have more value in its gold, or in the fact that it is a 160 year-old antique. From that perspective, I'm not even sure how to get it checked out.

I also found some other whatzits and a 23mm flat button that had me thinking "half cent" for a while ... but only left me broken-hearted.
02.04.11 Finds.jpg

Thanks for looking, and enjoy the video. And give some thought to hitting up my Youtube channel and subscribing.

Blessings,

Geoff

Attachments

• Ring in the Field.jpg
    Ring in the Field.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 7,318
  • Barrell Isolated.jpg
    Barrell Isolated.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 7,361
  • Kim Hand Isolated.jpg
    Kim Hand Isolated.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 8,018
  • Flash Isolated.jpg
    Flash Isolated.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 6,837
Upvote 0

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 + PROformance coil/ Vibra-probe 580 / Waitin' for enough finds to finance an AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that made the whole day worth it right off the bat!

Banner!!!! and I subscribed to your videos because I want to see what else you pull out of that area!

Just awesome.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Great vid and find, I would try my best to make the inscription out, the type they used is very hard to read. That could increase the value many times, and I would not sell it for scrap! HH

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal find! A big congratulations to you.

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
HOLY CROW!! That baby is huge!! Congrats on a killer piece of history! Got my banner vote for sure! I mainly hunt 1700-1880's sites and I've never found a piece of gold jewelry at them... that is a rare rare find!!

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
**Size Update - Ring weighed in at 14.1 grams, or 10.575 grams of pure gold ... .339994441295 Troy Ounces (just over 1/3 ounce).
**Melt value is $458.51 at the current spot price!

I did a quick mental calculation and estimated at $425 when I got the weight. The jewelry place offered me $220 for it. Yeah ... right ... :laughing7:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome KYShooter the ring looks better than the money. BANNER!!

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Holy Crap" is right!!!! That is one Mondu Hogie ring :icon_thumright: Congrats and Banner :headbang: HH BS

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most gold buying places will only give you about half of actual scrap value, and they do not care if it is an antique piece or not. I would not sell this for scrap anyway.

Bugsterx2

Jan 29, 2011
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Congrats on a VERY,VERY NICE find!! Never seen one that large either. I know you must still be on cloud 9 over that one. Thanks for the video too. :icon_thumright:

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 + PROformance coil/ Vibra-probe 580 / Waitin' for enough finds to finance an AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if you had some silly putty you could press it into the inside of the ring and be able to better read it once you popped it out?

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Excellant Video, Better than watching the Super Bowl. Surprised the dirt looked dry.Nice finds ,Hope to see more.goldnuget-Charlotte,N.C. Seneca 1965 Gradulate

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thrillathahunt said:
Most gold buying places will only give you about half of actual scrap value, and they do not care if it is an antique piece or not. I would not sell this for scrap anyway.

I think I'm holding on to it. As long as our gov't prints money like it's toilet paper, I don't see metals doing anything but going up.

Might be able to pay my house off with this thing someday ... :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread