Vintage Clocks and Watches

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Hi all,

I'm going to an estate sale on Thursday. The last time I went I got a box that (among other things) had 13 vintage clock and watch repair books. I wondered to myself if the clocks and watches would be on sale at anytime. Lo and behold, this Thursday they are being auctioned, so I need to bone up on my knowledge.

Can anyone give me some hints on what to look for? Makers? Anything that would help. I have NO knowledge in this field.

Thanks,
Kevin

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully support this thread - I, too, have a severe lack of knowledge in this category. For watches, generally steer clear of Timex, Quartz, anything marked China (band etc). Check the backs to see if they are marked as having gold parts (ex "10KT Gold Bezel"). A gold bezel alone may be worth the amount you pay for the watch. Of course, look out for watches marked simply "10K" or "14K" as well. I personally stay away from rolled gold plated (RGP) watches simply because.. well.. I only know the value of the gold. If you can acquire a bulk lot vintage style watches for a cheap price I'm sure you could at least sell them to make your money back on the Bay even if they aren't high dollar watches themselves. A lot of people just use the watches for parts/repairs AFAIK.

Last edited:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch for mantle, desk clocks and even military clocks made by Chelsea clock co. Boston, mass. Check them out on their website and ebay, you might be surprised. Good luck!...............Scott.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch for pocket watches. Make sure they do not run on a battery. Elgin, Hamilton, and Ingersoll are some better brands. As long as it is wind up, you can't lose at $5 as long as it is working or not in my opinion. If it is a Westclox, you can't lose going $10 on a working one in my opinion, many are worth more, but some only go for $10 or so. Good luck, post pictures of what you find if you find anything. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very tough gig unless you get the stuff cheap and there is not much risk. I have no idea about clocks, but am familiar with the vast majority of watch brands, and when it comes to flipping them service/repair costs on vintage stuff, and quality fakes on the modern, are two huge issues. I do not buy and sell watches, and know I could do well sorting through and picking out those that have potential, but if they were decent and even priced at half of their value I would not have the confidence to pull the trigger unless I was given a guarantee of working condition and authenticity.

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
Look for quality watches that appear to be sterling silver, these are sometimes White Gold. Learn to recognize the carved or cut look of white gold vs. sterling. These are often marked only on the inside.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread