Virgilona Salvage Vessel Pictures

Diver Down

Feb 26, 2007
Florida
For two wonderful summers I had the wonderful opportunity of a lifetime to dive for Mo Molinar aboard the famous Virgilona. I learned a lot from Mo and have fond memories of the experience.

I have pictures of Mo, the Virgilona and some of the treasure we found pictured on my website. Suddenly I get a call out of the blue (pardon the pun) from a Blue Ocean Marine. Apparently Mo sold the Virgilona earlier this year and the new owners are threatening me with legal action if I don't remove and destroy the pictures of their boat.

I took these pictures, they are copyrighted by me, and I have waivers signed by the then owner Mo Molinar giving me permission to shoot video and still photography aboard the vessel.

I own the photos and and am no where claiming be the owner the boat. The pictures were taken ten years ago. Can someone come along and really do this or can I politely tell them to pound sand?

It would be like me buying the Mona Lisa and then ordering anyone who has a picture of in a book or web site to destroy it. I have pulled my website temporarily until I get a definitive answer. If these photos, copyrighted by me are indeed mine, I will post them for anyone to borrow, use and enjoy. The last time I checked this was still America.

Bill

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill, tell them to piss off. I have Virgalona pictures on my page, as does HRD Inc and a few other websites.

I am not representing that the Virgalona is currently part of my fleet.

I also have some historic picturers of the Virg that I found on a state of Florida archive site. I will look for them and post them here when I get home.

Regards, Tom

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Without all the facts, its hard to say. But from what you have stated, it sounds like you have every right to publish these pictures. There are certainly other pictures of the Virgilona on the net. Are they going after them as well?

I believe in copyright laws and if you took them and Mo gave you the right to publish them, then they have no recourse. I would certainly reply to them in a professional manner and state your argument as to why you own the right to these photographs.

Good Luck and stay strong!

Robert

I see Tom beat me to the punch!

OP
OP
D

Diver Down

Feb 26, 2007
Florida
Does anyone know anything about this group that bought the boat? The lady identified herself as representing Blue Water Marine or Blue Ocean Marine, or something along those lines. I was too shocked and insulted to pay close attention.

Thanks Tom, I'd like to see your pics. Pictures of the Virgilona also appear in the A&E video they show at the McLarty Museum in Sebastian. I wonder if they will have to edit that out???

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think the new owners of the Virg are investors for Greg Bounds. That is all I know.

What is funny is that Blue Ocean Marine (or whatever they are called) also contacted Ernie Kling of HRD, Inc with the same request, and Greg is an HRD shareholder!

Attachments

• Virg_redux.jpg
    Virg_redux.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 728
  • Virg_redux2.jpg
    Virg_redux2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 689

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,

Im a pro photographer,what you shoot, you own the copyrights to the photos.no one can tell you to destroy your work.the virge is a piece of history in the treasure biz.you would think the new owners would want all the photos they could get ahold of just for historical reasons.my boat is a classic as well so im forever scouring the net for photos of boats like mine,but with only 60 made i doupt ill find many more.the correct name of the company that bought the virge is called"blue water ventures" out of key west.greg bounds investor bought the boat for rodney one of gregs partners,greg bounds is the capt and owner of the goldhound.the virge will be working the seabastian area when its finished.thats all i know about it.if bwv threatens a lawsuit,just say sue me,i wont delete my pics,but for X amount of $$$ you can buy the rights to use them(not own them)if they choose not to buy them but are useing them anywhere on the net or books,posters etc,then you can sue them for copyright infringements.in the meantime.get the forms from wash dc an file the copyrights on paper,it might cost you 10 bux or less for each photo but its worth it.or better yet put them on a dvd in a slide show an copyright theDVD,any image stolen an used elsewhere is covered by the copyrighted dvd.put your website back up,theres nothing they can do to you.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey, I found another one. ;D

Attachments

• virg_key west.jpg
    virg_key west.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 694

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Tom, is that the Dauntless behind the Virg?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, it is the m/v Dauntless Pete! You ever work aboard her?

Here is a diorama of the Virg. Gee, Mo sure was skinny back then. :D

Attachments

• mo_virg_diorama.jpg
    mo_virg_diorama.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 667

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just talked to rodney at blue water ventures,i asked him about someone calling around asking to take down pics of the virge on websites.he said that his investor had heard that someone was trying to raise money useing virge pics.raise money for what? rodney didnt know.so if you have pics of the virge and arent trying to raise any money for something,then dont worry about anything.maybe it was that polish nowak guy useing the pics to scam people,as a con man im sure he has all kinds of angles.

scubaman

Apr 17, 2007
I have never heard of any this rediculous before! The Virg must have been photographed hundreds of times and now some fly by night company wants all of them removed? Get real!
I will now begin posting every photo of the Virg on my own web site. Come and get me tough guy!

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Well heck,I guess my action shots of: Dauntless,Magruder,Southland,Pollie-l,Gambler,Bookmaker,Dammit Janet,Dare,New World Legacy,Diamond,Etc ought to be protected too! Did you say 10 bucks to copywrite? hell where would an old treasure hunter find that kinda dough? Hafta go back to sellin booty on the wharf... 8)

Attachments

• magruder-cool resize.jpg
    magruder-cool resize.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 537

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
The boats in the picture are the Dauntless, the Virgalona and the Swordfish.
Go to your local magazine store and pick up a copy of the May issue of Shutterbug Magazine. There is a good article about copyrights
The Virgalona was origionally named the Virgil and Ilonia, for her owners. She is a Harkers island built mackerel boat.
Splash,
Donovan

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
As webmaster for the HRD, Inc., I have no plans on deleting the pictures. I am calling this lady wednesday morning to find out what all this is about. 95% of the pictures on our web site are pictures that I have taken with my own camera over the last 15 years that I have dove off the Virgalona and have known Mo. I have pictures going back even further than that from the State archieves, various books in print and from private collections that document her from almost the day the keel was laid. Those will now stay with me and the dvd will be placed under my pillow when I am laid out in the funeral home in another 45+ years. The remainnig 5%, if that, are pictures from other divers for either HRD, Inc or Mo Divers, that they have given me the permission to use them.

I have seen my/our pics used on various other sites, without permission, and upon contacting their webmasters, they have either been removed immediately, or they have apologized and asked if they may use them for display pictures only.

Blue Water Ventures can be seen at: http://www.bluewaterventureskw.com/

Hmmm...... If I have my personal pictures of the Virgalona done up professionally, and have Mo sign them, I wonder what they would be worth on eBay or to an arm chair treasure hunter/collector. I'll have to bring some when I see Mo this coming friday night and/or saturday.

I'll post what I find am told when I call in the a.m.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Tom,

I tuck those pics of the Virgilona....you have to give me 20.00 ;D :D :D :D

OP
OP
D

Diver Down

Feb 26, 2007
Florida
What Blue Water Ventures can do with my pictures!

After speaking to my attorney and getting all of your input it seems pretty much unanimous, the photographs I took with my camera are MY PROPERTY. Blue Water Ventures has NO right to ask that they be removed, however if they would like to purchase the copyrights to those photos, they are welcome to use them. I have another idea too, I once took some pictures of the Brooklyn Bridge...if you would like to purchase the famous bridge, I will sell you the bridge and throw in he photos as a bonus. In the mean time Blue Water can take the Virgilona and go blow sand.

Thanks to everyone else on this forum who values their own personal photos and the memories they bring back as much as I do.

Bill

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just have to post this pic of myself standing behind the Virg....I'd love for them to email me, I'd give them a few choice words. Why on earth would you try to hoard a boat with a history like that. Idiots...I hope they read this forum, in case they missed it the first time....IDIOTS!

My guess is that they plan to put it into a museum or something so they want to corner the market on images and info. Good luck with that guys...I'm not holding my breath.

Attachments

• jason_virgalona.jpg
    jason_virgalona.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 527
OP
OP
D

Diver Down

Feb 26, 2007
Florida
Blue Water Ventures and the Virgilona

Holy heck Tom: I just remembered there used to be a picture on your website of you on the dive ladder of the Virgilona eating lunch. I hope that Skippy Peanut Butter, Wonder Bread and Frito Lay don't call you threatening to sue you unless you remove the picture of their property off your website!!!!

Bill

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
egads Bill, you're right. In fact, I took that picture of Tom. Guess that'll get bothof us in hot water. In fact, I have some pictures of Bob Marx on the same ladder. Wonder if Bob is up for the fight?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here is my son Danny diving on the Virg. Is he too young to be sued? ;D

Attachments

• dandiving.jpg
    dandiving.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 482