"Virginia"; DYK...?

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
At the local B & N, I have been looking at several books on LOST communities in Virginia; LAWDY!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I'll be making a trip back to the book store to do a little more book browsing for research. Pulled a muscle in my back so I have spent today playing with Google Earth and looking at maps and the book I bought on Bridgewater recently.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Check the VIRGINIA "section"; B&N in H'burg, Va. is GREAT! Books-A-Million in the Valley Mall is also GOOD!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll probably try Book-A-Million first since I know exactly where you are talking about and there was a whole end dedicated to books of local interest and then the Virginia and travel books were right close by. Maybe tomorrow, still at work, since the most recent layoff at work, it is all hands on the last day of the month and of the quarter and that is today. I am actually assembling product instead of buying it. Nice change but my back will be killing me again by the time 10PM rolls around and still have to hit a store for some food before going home. Hopefully with any luck, may get out for a little hunting this weekend, I hope! Break is almost over, back to it. Do some book shopping sometime.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Monday, gonna go to local library & check out LOST COMMUNITIES OF VIRGINIA by Terri Fisher & Kirsten Sparenborg... looks like a FUN book to read, do R & I on, etc.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay now, getting my research list growing and no where to put them. I like to buy them and keep them handy but this Little apt lacks space. Had been doing a little more Google Earth search on Bridgewater and surrounding area. Think I am going to see about some friends who might have access back toward Mount Clinton area. Some old schools and churches back that way.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Okay now, getting my research list growing and no where to put them. I like to buy them and keep them handy but this Little apt lacks space. Had been doing a little more Google Earth search on Bridgewater and surrounding area. Think I am going to see about some friends who might have access back toward Mount Clinton area. Some old schools and churches back that way.
HA! Go to H'burg Library/JMU Library; review Books, make copies of pages you want, put 'em in folders & FILE 'em; what I did in my younger days. STILL do some of it in my current area of Lynchburg, Va., Campbell Co., Bedford Co., stuff on GOLD/SILVER Mines... WHEW!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Moved to small apt less than two years ago to have less stress and my wife's health was bad. I cleared out some stuff but three floors and both of us having our own places for 20 odd years, now I want to clean out storage but no, got keep it. Glad you are getting on the good side, I am just ready to get my back better and get out. The temps are getting up and I'll deal with the pollen, head out and stop and knock. need that out-time! As for copies, had some of that, then decided books were better, bound easier to group on the shelves as we had one whole room for a library (got some friends who will never help move again because of all of the books!) but they are boxed in file boxes and stored in stacks and I need to pull them this year and sort and clear out. Can't I just move to the beach and detect all day on the beach and watch the bikinis run by??? To old to do much about it but can still watch!

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The Beach...? Wife & I are thinking of the Outer Banks; Blackbeard & the Lighthouses are "calling"... AND! The SEAGULLS (or is that SHE-GALS...? Don't think the wife would be amused...). Heh... ANYWAY, I am a MOUNTAIN BOY/MAN from the Shenandoah Valley... & she is from the "waters" of Baltimore... BOTH are BEACH BUMS. Have a "pic" to prove it... AND! A "pic" of a Pirate & his Wretch... Heh! :laughing7:

Last edited:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wifes name is Virginia where her moms group started.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Looks like I'll be making a trip back to the book store to do a little more book browsing for research. Pulled a muscle in my back so I have spent today playing with Google Earth and looking at maps and the book I bought on Bridgewater recently.
You can also do R & I in the Bridgewater Public Library, 15 South Street... and Bridgewater College Libray; been in BOTH, & they are nice.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think that the BEST place for you in Bridgewater is the HISTORICAL SOCIETY (bridgwaterhistoricalsociety.com/); has a MUSEUM.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot about that, thinking that may be the old building down Main Street that they are working on the yard in back and I passed and wondered if they might let me in with my detector for a bit. It is one of the older standing building in town. No front yard left, just sidewalk and road. May take the long way home today and look again and see who is doing the work and see if there is any one to ask, I can walk down to hunt. Thanks for the reminder!

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Get to know the ppl, especially "Old-Timers", who can pass "oral" traditions/histories/stories, etc. If you have time, volunteer there & LISTEN. Be amazed of what you can find out... they LIKE that!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Paternal Grandfather was like that and I always liked to hear about growing up around Lincoln, Nebraska. What slipped past me until years later was that I knew he was a Mason and member of the Richmond Scottish Rite Temple and I never asked about them. His Masonic ring and his Fez sat on his desk until he moved to NC and then they disappeared. I can only hope that my Uncle had them and he has since passed and I have had no contact with my cousin since '94. I have an old Lincoln cent that he gave me with the Masonic Emblem pressed into it. I have held onto that as I knew it was special. Guess I need to find the people like he was that like to talk about life growing up way back when and what was where, who owned what and the history around. I understand that at one time both the Union and Confederates held or stayed in the town for some time. Also supposedly Custer had his army at the north end of the town for a while. Research!

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
If your Grandfather had a FEZ, he was a Shriner, also. I was SR/Shriner in the Richmond, Va. "Bodies", too. Was Freemason since 1977 & Worshipful Master of my HOME Blue Lodge in Shenandoah, Va. in 1981 & part of 1982; father was WM in 1955, and grand-father in 1928... ALL in the family, HA! BTW, Father was 50 year member, I was a 25 Year Member; Mother was Worthy Matron in OES, & 50 Year Member... AND! I also have the "punched-in" penny... was a "tradition" back then. The penny was a "symbol" of the Peace Democrats/COPPERHEAD/Knights of the Golden Circle back in the days of Lincoln; & symbolized that WHOEVER had that penny, was a Peace Democrat/COPPERHEAD... maybe KGC. I "treasure" mine...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread