AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been having difficulty hearing tones when diving - I assume this is something to do with the regulator and the connection between the throat and ears in some way?

I find myself sweeping quickly between breaths so the discharge does not drown out the tones.

any suggestions to try?

thanks!!!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what to tell you, I have an Excalibur and I actually have to turn mine down.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I know what you are talking about. The bubbles from your reg can be loud depending on your headphones and how they pass. You might try adjusting your body or head angle. Also make sure your earcups are empty of air.

What UW detector are your using?

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sea Hunter 2 with the Blue headphones....

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Captain,

Check the out the MD and headphones while out of the water to make sure that there is not a problem with the headphones or the connection. If it tests okay, then it might just be air in the earcups!

Frank

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My Mark-II with the blue head phones will damage your ear drum on land but underwater mine is just right... do they make an underwater hearing aid? :laughing7:
I can be down next Friday around noon you want to try mine out and make sure yours isn't defective

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you are in warm water, but a hood and a bone phone would probably solve your problem. Just wearing a light hood and sticking with the stock Garrett Headphones might also work. Since I got used to wearing a bone phone I almost never wear headphones anymore...just personal preference I guess. The hood will help block the ambient noise coming from your regulator.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Captain,

Check the out the MD and headphones while out of the water to make sure that there is not a problem with the headphones or the connection. If it tests okay, then it might just be air in the earcups!

Frank

all good on land - may air in my head?

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Mark-II with the blue head phones will damage your ear drum on land but underwater mine is just right... do they make an underwater hearing aid? :laughing7:
I can be down next Friday around noon you want to try mine out and make sure yours isn't defective

I'll chill the beers.......:occasion14:

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know you are in warm water, but a hood and a bone phone would probably solve your problem. Just wearing a light hood and sticking with the stock Garrett Headphones might also work. Since I got used to wearing a bone phone I almost never wear headphones anymore...just personal preference I guess. The hood will help block the ambient noise coming from your regulator.

I use an old XL 500 pulse as my back-up detector...I still like it a lot and it has the old Ikelite two conductor headphone connector...I am not sure why Garrett went with a different connector and I don't know if they offer a bonephone for the current Sea Hunter Mark II...but I am sure you could modify one if they don't.

ok -gotta ask - whats a bone phone??

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok -gotta ask - whats a bone phone??

Here are some pictures. The red part produces the audio. They are designed to be wedged between your wetsuit hood and your skull...thus the name "bone" phone. You can also just wedge the wire under your mask strap and kind of leave it dangling near your ear. I do this a lot when I am working really shallow areas with a snorkel in the summer. In any event, it is impossible for air to be trapped inside one, unlike with conventional headphones. If you actually wedge one right beside your ear while wearing a hood, you can hear the faintest signals and keep your threshold tuned very low. They are less bulky than headphones, lighter than headphones, less likely to tangle than headphones, and their construction makes them more durable than headphones. Plus, if you have one under your hood, and you stick your head out of the water, you will not even appear to be metal detecting. If you need to be a somewhat "cloak and dagger" you can run the wire under your wet suit or shirt. If you hip mount and use a short rod...or even NO rod, you look especially nondescript. Even though metal detecting underwater is perfectly legal in my area, I like to be as discrete as possible...I use an old Aquapulse 1a primarily and believe it or not, many people just assume the control housing it is some kind of pony bottle or egressor...it kind of has that look form a distance...

bonephone.png click to enlarge

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I am not sure about the new style Garrett underwater headphones, but on the old style phones there are two screws, one on the side of each earcup, that are supposed to removed before diving...I believe this is to aid in preventing air from becoming trapped inside the earphones and limiting the audio.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some pictures. The red part produces the audio. They are designed to be wedged between your wetsuit hood and your skull...thus the name "bone" phone. You can also just wedge the wire under your mask strap and kind of leave it dangling near your ear. I do this a lot when I am working really shallow areas with a snorkel in the summer. In any event, it is impossible for air to be trapped inside one, unlike with conventional headphones. If you actually wedge one right beside your ear while wearing a hood, you can hear the faintest signals and keep your threshold tuned very low. They are less bulky than headphones, lighter than headphones, less likely to tangle than headphones, and their construction makes them more durable than headphones. Plus, if you have one under your hood, and you stick your head out of the water, you will not even appear to be metal detecting. If you need to be a somewhat "cloak and dagger" you can run the wire under your wet suit or shirt. If you hip mount and use a short rod...or even NO rod, you look especially nondescript. Even though metal detecting underwater is perfectly legal in my area, I like to be as discrete as possible...I use an old Aquapulse 1a primarily and believe it or not, many people just assume the control housing it is some kind of pony bottle or egressor...it kind of has that look form a distance...

View attachment 867704 click to enlarge

like it!!!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, I am not sure about the new style Garrett underwater headphones, but on the old style phones there are two screws, one on the side of each earcup, that are supposed to removed before diving...I believe this is to aid in preventing air from becoming trapped inside the earphones and limiting the audio.

will check!!

Joe Lee

Oct 30, 2010
TnT
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Had the same problem in the beginning.
Just equalize and you hear loud and clear.

Joe

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gray Ghost makes a set of headphones for the Sea Hunter and AT series that have volume control and are louder then the Garrett HPs but are only rated to 30 ft. I have a set for my AT Pro and they work great. I have to wear a 1/4 in (7mm) hood when diving so I have a hood for MDing that I punched out three small holes in at the ear locations and glewed on some velcro straps to help hold the headset on and keep it tight to my head, I also removed the cushions from the headset. One more thing, I also use my double hose reg. that expels the air at the back of my head. The only problem with the dbl. hose unit is it has no port for a pressure gauge so you have to find tank valves with the reserve valve (J-valve) on them or stay shallow.
ZDD

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Over the weekend I used a Velcro band and connected my snorkel to the headphones. It was way more comfortable and seemed to increase the audio a bit with the snugger fit?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Have made a few bone phones over the past few years.

OBN0032.jpg

I agree if your using the Garrett blues they should be plenty loud, maybe a leak in the cord has causing corrosion which can allow less power to the Piezo benders. I don't dive but from the divers I have made headphones for they have said timing helps a lot. If you need a set of the Gray Ghost Amphibians I can set you up, I go thur each set and check for quality control and fix if needed, this allows for deeper diving and longevity of the GGA's.
OBN0040.jpg

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have made a few bone phones over the past few years.

View attachment 877583

I agree if your using the Garrett blues they should be plenty loud, maybe a leak in the cord has causing corrosion which can allow less power to the Piezo benders. I don't dive but from the divers I have made headphones for they have said timing helps a lot. If you need a set of the Gray Ghost Amphibians I can set you up, I go thur each set and check for quality control and fix if needed, this allows for deeper diving and longevity of the GGA's.
View attachment 877587

looks good - but aren't the Ghost only rated to about 30ft?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread