Vx3 or Garrett AT Pro

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so frustrated I got the VX 3 today. And it came with a coil that doesn't even work with that model. It fits it but its not meant for the V series. It is at 13 inch dd ultimate coil. That is meant for the MXT and the DFX and M6. So now I have to try to sell that coil on Craigslist to try to get a stock coil for it. It is just really crappy I didn't know it was the wrong oil until I went out and try to use it I could not pinpoint for crap.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TreasureNet

If the only issue you're having with the coil is pinpointing I have to warn you the dd coil are notorious for being more difficult to pinpoint with. It may just be your technique. DD coils produce a blade shaped magnetic field unlike concentric coils that produce conical shaped fields. The correct technique is, first turn VCO on, then go over the target in a plus shape until you have the strongest signal. Then turn 90 degrees and repeat.
If you want to test the coil. Take your detector outside and run the sensitivity up to max, (which is 15 on v3i). It'll probably false like crazy but as long as it doesn't overload the coil is fine.

Last edited:

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own both. You did good getting the VX3. I like my AT.... but 9 times out of 10 I will grab my VX3 to hunt with. I only use my AT when I know its gonna rain cats and dogs or I am going in the water.

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 And Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well so far since I have gotten my new vx3 I have found my first silver coin. A 1956 silver dime and a lot of clad and a 18k plated ring. I am picking it up really well. I had a whites eagle spectrum and this is world's above that md. I joined a local md club. It is cool and all just wish I had guys that wanted to stay out as long as I do. I anyone is from western pa and wants to go drop me a line. And would really like to meet someone that has the same md. So they could give me a few tips. I really love the new vx3 and thank you all for your help and advice. Next MD I am going to get for creek hunting is the at pro. Maybe Christmas time who knows lol.

ForumRunner_20130920_113831.png

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also I did get the new coil for it. The eclipse 950 that comes stock on the vx3. It seems to be a good coil. Just would like to get the 4"/ 6" coil for coin shooting in trashy areas.

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
I have the v3i and use the double d in the parks but also like the 950 too. Irs great for ez light swinging and oin points great

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I did get the new coil for it. The eclipse 950 that comes stock on the vx3. It seems to be a good coil. Just would like to get the 4"/ 6" coil for coin shooting in trashy areas.

Definetly good coils I have a v3i & run the 6x8 & 10x12 sef coils with no complaints just great finds

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well my 4"/6" coil and 5.3 coil came today can't wait to go out to hunt with it tomorrow. Got them both by trading a 13" detech coil that works just on the mxt and dfx. So I think I made out great! Hope they go deep enough to find silver.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that coil worked on the MXT & DFX, it would have worked on the VX3 too. But I think you did well getting the smaller ones!

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You made the right decision the AT PRO sucks, it's made cheap. The only advantage is the waterproof aspect, other than that the VX3 will run circles around the AT PRO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread