Waaaa! She took it away....

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was one estate sale today and we went being Thursday and there's never anybody at them. Go to the jewelry table 1st thing and look through all the little boxes full of stuff. And a box full of keychains there's a medical ID bracelet. It's in a plastic baggie with no price tag on it. I pick it up and say how much is this one. The lady takes a look at it and says oh I don't know if this is supposed to be in here hang on let me go ask the other girl. She comes back and says sorry that's not for sale.... I sent one if I give you $30 for it. She said no sorry I said what if I give you hundred dollars for it? She says no we're keeping it. 14k medical ID bracelet figaro link. I was pretty mad.

Agitated from there on out I found a 1970s doll box without a doll. No price tag on this either and I ask how much that was. She said we're still looking for the doll to put in it, it's not for sale! Wtf. At this point I want to intentionally accidentally smash something. I'm so frustrated I ended up getting Charles Dixon A Christmas Carol book. There's no date on it I don't know if it's worth anything or not. That is it.

Later on at the thrift store I bought 25 pounds of Legos for two dollars. But man I was so frustrated today. The same ID bracelet sold on eBay for $525. Later on when I looked it up. But I believe that the lady running the estate company just wanted to pocket the gold. Obviously.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20/20 Hindsight ! you should have Buried it in the box & asked How much for the box of Key Chains :unhappysmiley:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain, I too have had that scenario happen many times over the years. Now when I find the PM's the first thing I think of is how to pay for it without hearing the dreaded "that shouldn't be out here" Good Luck!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel your pain, I too have had that scenario happen many times over the years. Now when I find the PM's the first thing I think of is how to pay for it without hearing the dreaded "that shouldn't be out here" Good Luck!

Yep, this is also one of my most "heart pounding" scenarios.

Every once in a while someone will actually remark "oh this is real gold" but still sell it to me for a dollar. Rare scenario.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happens all the time to me and the wife especially. Least favorite sayings at a sale... "Where'd you find that at? That's not supposed to be out here." or "I was wondering where that was, sorry that's not for sale." Yet here I am on a Friday morning with several decent sales in my area going on. Proud to say, I have virtually stopped going to sales so far this year, except a couple last month. Though I admit, I am jonesing badly and may hit a few up tomorrow, even if I don't buy anything. I need my fix, lol.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a chuckle at the upping the offer from 30 to 100. I hate showing my hand.

Sorry you missed one buddy.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
At least you were on the buying side of an estate sale....
There will be other deals down the road.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Sometimes I want to charge them back a finders fee. Why am I wasting my time digging out loot for the estate company to keep? Either it's their job to separate the 'keepers' out beforehand or pay me to do it for them. That's one of the main reasons I stopped wasting time in the jewelry area, unless prices are plainly marked.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
OK I'll be "that guy" with the opposing viewpoint. People make mistakes. Why would you get upset when someone catches it and dosn't sell you their own stuff ? You're buying personal belongings not shopping at Walmart.. It may have had sentimental value, might belong to someone who actually needs to be wearing it, etc. you don't know but you feel entitled to take advantage of people's mistakes ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I dunno. The mom died 5 years prior. From what the estate sale lady said. They were the company who set it out and was responsible for selling the contents of the house. I guess if they are suppose to sell the stuff, pocketing it would not be the right thing.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I want to charge them back a finders fee. Why am I wasting my time digging out loot for the estate company to keep? Either it's their job to separate the 'keepers' out beforehand or pay me to do it for them. That's one of the main reasons I stopped wasting time in the jewelry area, unless prices are plainly marked.

Around here at Sales & Auctions, it hardly pays to go & look at Jewelry or Coins.
there is almost always 2 types of people hogging the displays.

1 with a Jewelers loop looking very close and very Slowly for hours preventing anyone else from getting to the display . :BangHead:

and the other who will grab and pay outrageous prices because Cash for Gold is paying big Dividends :laughing7: and Home Shopping club says they are rare
because there are actual human fingerprints all over them.

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I just get a kick out of reading the comments on the garage sale forum. Stealing it by burying it in the bottom of a box of junk ? I have to assume Jeff was joking.. Hell man if you're willing to do that why not just stick it in your pocket when nobody is looking ? It's basically the same thing... The sad thing is there are people here who would do that and not think twice. If you don't "get that" I'm not going to explain it..

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just get a kick out of reading the comments on the garage sale forum. Like the guy who recommended stealing it by burying it in the bottom of a box of junk. Hell man if you're willing to do that why not just stick it in your pocket when nobody is looking ? It's basically the same thing... If you don't "get that" I'm not going to explain it..

first if it is not stealing it if it is in the Box and you just move it around in it,
then ask How much for the box ?

They have the ability to say, "Let me Look First" or Name a Price.

Moving it to the box may be wrong, But it is their sale & their job to know what is there. Or look.
Not mine to itemize for them .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a yard sale once & there was a Box of tokens.
I asked how Much.

the guy looked at me and if I remember right said $3.00 a handful .
I reached in and took a Big Handful, Held it out him & handed him the Money.

When I got home, I found a Token for a piece of Land that only White People could use. from the days of segregation.
I believe I got $60 for it

A 1795 Lettered edge Large Cent I got $100 for

And various other tokens that sold on Ebay for various amounts.

The rest I sold at a Flea Market.

I didn't feel bad. He wanted $3.00 a Handful & I would have stopped again if he would have had another.
I may also have taken $30.00 along for 10 handfuls :laughing7:

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
first if it is not stealing it if it is in the Box and you just move it around in it,
then ask How much for the box ?

They have the ability to say, "Let me Look First" or Name a Price.

Moving it to the box may be wrong, But it is their sale & their job to know what is there. Or look.
Not mine to itemize for them .
Agreed my friend. I wasn't aware that it was already in the box. That certainly changes things.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh well no tears today. I crossed something off my bucket list so I'm OK. 14k charm bracelet.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well the medical bracelet might have still been "in use" by the homeowner and placed out by mistake by folks running the sale for her (maybe) ...they can be life savers ..so don't be too bummed ... as you well know dolls "in box" are worth way more than out of box ... sometimes the box will double the value if not more

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the medical bracelet might have still been "in use" by the homeowner and placed out by mistake by folks running the sale for her (maybe) ...they can be life savers ..so don't be too bummed ... as you well know dolls "in box" are worth way more than out of box ... sometimes the box will double the value if not more

I'd be willing to bet She or maybe a group of Family Went together & bought it as A gift.

& the Recipient either Tired of it, Or Died & this family member remembers the Cost .

Or she was the buyer and had to talk to the recipient :tongue3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread