jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some folks have "Open-Carry" in our local "Wally's World"...

I've seen People with Holstered Handguns at their side at St Clair's Walmart here.
but Just because they are in plain Clothes doesn't mean They are just Regular Citizens.

there are many officials who Open carry.

Of course this was also before the mass gun free Zone debacle .
Not sure if Walmarts are gun free Zones here now.

Been years since Walmart has been My Go to place for shopping.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I like our Walmart here in Gunnison. Never any problems there, people open carry all the time without issue.
Theres a security guard now that asks if you have a mask but I just walk by and ignore her and do my shopping like a free man.
It's all about location.
Really odd differences throughout the country. I’ve never seen anyone open carry here in Mich ever. The last guy that did was about 5 years ago in a local strip mall, shoppers freaked out and the police were involved. Most retailers here do not allow open carry either way.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Well sir, you have your opinion. My thought is a gun is to keep that from happening. Self defense does not mean "killing someone or something" it means a deterrent to those who intend on that action. Literally millions of folks in the US own guns and and a small percentage use them to commit evil deeds. That is why the US has adapted what they call a complete back ground check of a potential buyer. So now you are stating that they cant stop the fertilizer sales because many use it for good deeds, yet the self protection capabilities of a firearm somehow does not fit your same analogy. Lets hope that you sir do not get into a situation where you have to use ur fertilizer for self protection. A firearm used by the overwhelming majority of owners can be used also in a responsible manner
so your gun is secured wherever, and circumstances cause you to get it
then what
you gonna talk or waive it around
and if you have to shoot - only to disable

no guy, it doesn't work that way
if you are not ready to pull the trigger, don't pull the gun
been there done that

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
then what

been there done that

I had to pull my .45 one day at stop light when I was being assaulted through drivers window of my car by man who was high that I had refused to give a ride to. Just the sight of my .45 pointed at his face ended the assault immediately. I could have shot him under Florida law, police even stated so, but I didnt need to as he took off running at the sight of my .45 pointed at his face.

You do not necessarily have to pull the trigger, only being willing to do so if needed. I carry 99.97% of the time, locked and loaded. Sometimes I even carry 2 .45s depending on where I'm going and when. With recent riots I have carried 2 several times when driving

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
then what

been there done that

Mr. Bill, many times just the presents of your "carry" can detour and attack or incident. The presents of the firearm is not meant to to shoot every time. If the situation advances to the point where you or a family member's life is in extreme danger then it may be necessary. Bill, if you are advancing toward a person and intend to do him/her some physical damage and they present a firearm, would you stop? Most people would and reconsider the circumstances prior to continuing with the threat. It is a tool and a very good one. If you came after me and the only thing I had was a hammer (tool), I could probably do a lot of damage to you. Just because the tool is present does not mean that it is necessary to go ahead and use it.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
bw and that's fine
my experience is that things happen very fast with guns
I like them and have owned many, never brandished one though

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bw and that's fine
my experience is that things happen very fast with guns
I like them and have owned many, never brandished one though

I metal detect many areas and I also have had a conceal carry permit for many years. On one occasion I was on a school ground on the week end and because there is a law stating no firearms on school premises I locked it in my truck. Out of the corner of my eye I could see two rather large individuals approaching me so I stopped swinging my detector and leaned on it in front of me. They stopped about 15 feet from me and one of them said to the other "wonder what that old fool would do if we just took that machine away from him". I looked at them strait in the eyes and announced to them in a firm voice and said "Well I guess that I will finally get to try out my new gun". They immediately turned and left the school grounds. As I said it is a tool and a very good one even if it is in the truck. In the military they had a strong saying " If you can't amaze them with details then baffle them with BS" and it works.:metaldetector:

And I might add that all this discussion is all "Walmart's fault" so we are still on forum topic. :)

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
then what

been there done that

You don't necessarily have to pull the trigger if you draw on someone, and you don't necessarily have to kill them dead as you imply - All depends on the situation at hand, there is no one size fits all solution.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's face it, Wallyworld would sell C-4 explosives if they could get away with it and it didn't cause them a PR nightmare. They really don't have a stand on guns. They're just trying to kiss up to those who oppose them. Just like eBay banning the sale of Confederate flags on their site. They're only doing it because it's PC right now...

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
To go back to the original post about Wal Mart, it seems that the only time they have ever asked to see my receipt is when I have items that are not bagged. That is why when I do self check-out I put everything I can into bags. The thing that really bothers me is that they have started locking up their laundry detergent so I have to get someone to take the sensor off of it. They used to be nice and do it for me as I was headed into the checkout area, but now they make me wait until I have rung it up.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also haven't been to WM since their anti 2A policies went into effect. I also prefer made in USA, which is hard to find there.

As far as the self defense discussion goes, having or using a firearm is not to scare, wound or kill the person, it's to stop the threat. I don't care if they run away, with or without bullet holes, or drop where they are, as long as the threat is neutralized. I am my first line of defense. The LEOs can sort it all out when they finally show up fifteen minutes later.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also haven't been to WM since their anti 2A policies went into effect. I also prefer made in USA, which is hard to find there.

As far as the self defense discussion goes, having or using a firearm is not to scare, wound or kill the person, it's to stop the threat. I don't care if they run away, with or without bullet holes, or drop where they are, as long as the threat is neutralized. I am my first line of defense. The LEOs can sort it all out when they finally show up fifteen minutes later.

or in my case at least a half hour later minimum.....

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ignore them when they try to stop me. A lady said I need to see your receipt. I said No you don't. She persisted i said call the police if you want. I had a big bag of dog food and as I sauntered past her she yelled " I hope your dog bites you!" Made my day.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ignore them when they try to stop me. A lady said I need to see your receipt. I said No you don't. She persisted i said call the police if you want. I had a big bag of dog food and as I sauntered past her she yelled " I hope your dog bites you!" Made my day.

LOL ! as I said earlier I think they only ask when someone is watching & they need to Be reminded what the Pay Check is For :laughing7:

My guess If Loss Prevention Doesn't Catch the Pilferers The Senior Citizen at the Door is Useless anyway.

I know If I had the Job, I'd only ask friendly Young Ladies Who look & Smile
And as they Hand it to Me, I'd say Just an Excuse to look Busy & say Hi !
I May be an Old Geezer But my Brain Ain't :tongue3:

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I think if someone asking to see a receipt at Walmart is the greatest annoyance in your life, then you are mighty lucky.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I think if someone asking to see a receipt at Walmart is the greatest annoyance in your life, then you are mighty lucky.

Yea Honestly It Doesn't Bother me when Asked, But I Do Pretend to be Upset :laughing7: Just My Way :coffee2:

complaining makes the blood flow :tongue3:

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea Honestly It Doesn't Bother me when Asked, But I Do Pretend to be Upset :laughing7: Just My Way :coffee2:

complaining makes the blood flow :tongue3:

Me too!! I love giving folks who find themselves in the unfortunate situation of working a menial job a hard time. It really makes me feel better about myself. Nothing like kicking someone while they’re down!

hill_billiez

Sep 16, 2012
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When asked... I cough into my hand then hand the receipt with same hand. Love the look.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
"the LEOs can sort it out when they show up 15 minutes later". What do you think, they are sitting in front of Walmart waiting for you to call. Lets give the LEO bashing a break. And you cowboys out there carrying you better be ready to use if you pull it and then get ready to justify using it. I have a unrestricted conceal carry and don't. (Actually I do carry when on the desert for rattle snakes but have yet to use it).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread