wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, have a Happy New Year, MARY! May you find happiness and a new wardrobe in 2016.
Wrmickel1

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
good point joe.....they found more than just tools at the goldfield mines.....when al lewis took over the mammoth mine he uncovered an ancient shaft under a big boulder lined with very old ironwood timber that was definitely old enough to be mexican and very possibly spanish..i believe he found this shaft in 1949

Wanted to come back to this- the mention of Al Lewis jogged my memory and I went back and dug up a relevant post in the LDM archives:

In 1949, Al Lewis discovered a very old shaft and drift tunnel while working for the Shumway Brothers on the Mammoth Mine property (today Goldfield, just west of Superstition Mountain). The shaft and drift were not connected to the Mammoth mine tunnel system. Old Ironwood and Juniper timbers taken from that drift were taken to the U of A who did a radio carbon dating of the wood fibers. Their results were, the trees were cut 130 years previously, give or take 7 years either way. This would have dated the mine to somewhere in the 1813 -1827 time period. Other artifacts found in that drift by Lewis, Ted Sliger, Hugh Nichols, and C.C. Waterbury, were also dated to that same time period. This would have been well within the Spanish time period and very early Mexican period. Well before the first Anglos started their mines.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to come back to this- the mention of Al Lewis jogged my memory and I went back and dug up a relevant post in the LDM archives:

In 1949, Al Lewis discovered a very old shaft and drift tunnel while working for the Shumway Brothers on the Mammoth Mine property (today Goldfield, just west of Superstition Mountain). The shaft and drift were not connected to the Mammoth mine tunnel system. Old Ironwood and Juniper timbers taken from that drift were taken to the U of A who did a radio carbon dating of the wood fibers. Their results were, the trees were cut 130 years previously, give or take 7 years either way. This would have dated the mine to somewhere in the 1813 -1827 time period. Other artifacts found in that drift by Lewis, Ted Sliger, Hugh Nichols, and C.C. Waterbury, were also dated to that same time period. This would have been well within the Spanish time period and very early Mexican period. Well before the first Anglos started their mines.

Until I spoke with Dave, all I had to go by was what was written in Robert Garman's Book, and The Kollenborn Chronicles.

Mike

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UMMM...

View attachment 1253098

Thought I might run into Matthew, since I was in the neighborhood of Peters Mesa and well within visual range a little over a week ago.
But didn't see him, or any fake ceremonial spears either, for that matter. This trip was prompted by a hunch of my own related to the LDM, and having some free time, decided the cooler weather that was forecast might make for a few pleasant days out there. It was, and they were.

Regards:SH.

Happy New Year! Wayne

Maybe , only if you would had in your sight this region , you would have seen Matthew .

LDM region.JPG

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.
Even after I offered an upfront apology and asked that you ignore me if incorrect?
Regardless, that was two weeks ago and Matthew obviously did not share his travel dates in that post, intentionally I am guessing.
I could be wrong.

It's just concern Mike which, I think you can appreciate.

Anyway, enjoy the New Year.

Joe,

Not paranoid at all. Just sick of some people talking s**t about things they have no idea (not you Hal). Mostly New Mexico stuff.

Hal,

Sorry, not paranoid, but I am a bit touchy of late. HAHAHA Its all good.

Mike

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy New Year! Wayne

Maybe , only if you would had in your sight this region , you would have seen Matthew .

View attachment 1254824

Got no interest in what might be in the "region" your posted picture shows, Marius. So I doubt that I would have been watching for Matthew out there anyway.
But if you believe he was, and he DID find the LDM this time, I'm sure he'll share it with you....not that you would ask him to of course.
As for myself, I had chosen another "region" to search this time out. Just covering all the bases, so to speak.

But even blurry, low resolution photos can reveal interesting stuff worth further investigation, and here's one that I've "blurred" to about the same resolution as yours.
Do you see anything worth a closer look ? It's a place about half way in between where I've been spending most of my time lately, and where I suspect the LDM might be.

View attachment Heart Sone visual blurred.bmp

.I shot the original from the top of a "mapped" Somero Montana, about 1/2 mile away.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne

Interesting region in your picture and I hope it will lead you to your "LDM" . Also I shot mine from about 2 miles away
I don't know if Matthew found it or not ( I hope yes ) , but I don't expect from him to share something with me . It is all his .

PS

A big part of the original picture . As you can see , is hard to see "it" if you don't know where to look .

picture.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Josh

Greenie
Jan 10, 2017
Mesa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hal ..you got all that nonsense out of a book...there is an entire thread on here about how full of crap books are...but if your back east ass wants to believe what you read go ahead..dont expect me to....you have never been here...all you know is what you scavenge off the internet....i got my info 30 years ago from the people that owned the mines...i'll believe them over you any day..by the way......are you still living in your car posting from a cell phone?

sorry the whole arguement of the History of Goldfield did not load but,
if any of you want to know some of the history of Goldfield/ Youngsberg,
you can ask me, my father Jerry Gargalione, my cousin Bob Schoose. we all are share holders of goldfield ghosttown.
Also ask Ron Feldman, Jessi, or Josh

Last edited:

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw 3 copies on their book self at the museum. I'm not very good at giving out information, I suggest that you read the beginning of this thread. There was another thread that was taken down, because it got to hot and heavy with who was honest or dishonest about what happen with the notes.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry the whole arguement of the History of Goldfield did not load but,
if any of you want to know some of the history of Goldfield/ Youngsberg,
you can ask me, my father Jerry Gargalione, my cousin Bob Schoose. we all are share holders of goldfield ghosttown.
Also ask Ron Feldman, Jessi, or Josh

UJ,

What makes you think the Bull Dog Mine is or was the Lost Dutchman?

Also, Is the Goldfiled mines open or are they flooded?

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they dont believe the bulldog was the ldm...

Dave,

Under "Raise your hand if you've found the LDM" Uncle Josh says it's the Bulldog Mine I believe.

I was just wondering why he thinks that. He says he owns part of Goldfield so I thought he might know something we don't.

I know the petroglyph "ORO 1847" with the 7 crossed Spanish style that I found in the supers has a pointer that points towards the Bull dog. I guess it's possible, not probable.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave,

Under "Raise your hand if you've found the LDM" Uncle Josh says it's the Bulldog Mine I believe.

I was just wondering why he thinks that. He says he owns part of Goldfield so I thought he might know something we don't.

I know the petroglyph "ORO 1847" with the 7 crossed Spanish style that I found in the supers has a pointer that points towards the Bull dog. I guess it's possible, not probable.

josh might but the feldmans dont

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The HISTORY of the BULL DOG MINE

Some searchers for the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine of Jacob Waltz believe the Bull Dog mine may have been where old Waltz got his gold. The history of this mine however removes any serious thought that the Bull Dog was Waltz's mine.
The Bull Dog mine location was first noticed by John B. Montgomery while prospecting in the area about 1865 but the location according to Montgomery only showed a little surface color and he moved on to richer diggings. Montgomery spent little time investigating the site as the Apache were frequent visitors in the area and very hostile.

In the fall of 1891 and again in the summer of 1892 heavy rains flooded all the washes around Superstition Mountain causing devastation and cutting deep gullies. On November 5, 1892, Orren Merrill, Collins R. Hakes, Orlando Merrill and James R. Morse were prospecting these washes when they located and later filed claim on the "Bull Dog" mine. According to Orren Merrill, the site was located after the group had noticed rich color in a wash and an extensive investigation of the entire area was made. No previous excavations were noted at the Bull Dog site by Morse, Hakes and the Merrill brothers. Lacking the funds at the time to exploit the mine the owners bonded the mine to two Phoenix businessmen, Charles Ellis and Gus Hirshfeld for $50,000. In 1894 a down shaft was sunk on the vein and produced free-gold down to the 100 foot level. A ten ton stamp mill was erected at the Bull Dog site and $70,000 of gold was recovered by 1896.

The Bull Dog was a single vein deposit in quartz and calcite that ran north and south for about 400 feet in length and about two feet wide. The gold ran an average of 3 to 10 ounces per ton but high grade pockets of up to 100 ounces were recovered. At 105 feet the vein pinched into iron sulfides and all work stopped. Samples that survive from the Bull Dog mine do not match known samples from Waltz's Dutchman mine (matchbox, cuff links, stick pin).

By 1917 the mine was sold to Ralph Shill and his brother Milo. The brothers hired geologist and mining engineer Alfred S. Lewis and the group worked the mine dumps and recovered some $100,000 in gold, more than was taken from the original effort. Al Lewis later worked a small pocket of rich ore which quickly played out.

The mine was sold in 1927 to Elmer Boyle who acting on a tip from Alfred Lewis, discovered another rich pocket that produced $2,000 and an off shoot that eventually yielded $150,000. Following that effort Boyle sold out his interest to Milo Shill who once again tried his luck at the mine.

In 1942, Alfred Lewis made the last serious attempt to mine gold from the Bull Dog. He and a few other miners extracted a small amount of gold but nothing substantial and the men abandoned the claim.

In the 1970's a renewed effort to open up the lower levels was made but with very little results. It was at this time that Curtis Chapman took over the mine site and used it as a sand and gravel operation. About 1997, Hank D'Andrea and Ernest Savino acquired limited rights to work the mine, the Bull Dog was flooded by this time and pumping did little to lower the level in the shaft and tunnels.

In its history, the Bull Dog mine produced a recorded 6,700 ounces of gold. The second highest producer in the Goldfield District behind the Mammoth Mine.

In the late 1960’s Beatrice Lewis, the wife of Alfred Lewis was living in a small house at the Mammoth mine site, about where the Goldfield Ghost town sits today. She still had some gold samples taken from the Bull Dog's richest ore and her husband’s mining notes and diagrams of the Bull Dog mine and ore deposit.

Hank D'Andrea and Ernie Savino gave up their efforts to reopen the Bull Dog. The entire surface deposit (vein) of the Bull Dog has been worked down to the 120 foot level where only iron sulfides were present. The mine was flooded and further attempts at winzeing to find the vein were useless. Just because the vein pinched out however does not mean there is no gold lower down. In fact the richest part of the Bull Dog vein may lay at the 200-300 foot level which were some of the richest elevations of the Mammoth Mine before it too was flooded and abandoned.

My personal opinion would be the fact that first John Montgomery, and later Hakes, Morse and the Merrill brothers found no previous mining of the Bull Dog site would leave out the possibility of the Bull Dog being the Lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz.

Matthew Roberts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions