Walt Gasslers Notes on Dutchman Legend

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Joe,

I think right now, Matthew is on Peter's Mesa. He said he was planning on spending a while out there.

Mike

Mike,

I guess I missed that. I thought he said he would be spending some time in the mountains. Did he actually say "Peter's Mesa"? Did he say anything about meeting his Apache friends up there for some serious ceremonial dancing? That's something I would really like to see.......as long as it's in another lifetime.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
gollum,
I am not sure why you would make that information public unless Matthew already had done so and I missed it.
If so, forgive me and please ignore this.

Peter's Mesa is a difficult, dangerous hike and I would discourage anyone from trying it, especially trying it alone.
My thoughts (concern) this week are for Matthew and his safe return.

Which is why I keep one ear on the rail.

Hal,

I believe that's the same thing Vincent Van Gogh said. :laughing7:

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal,

That may be good for you, but you may end up chasing down a great deal of garbage that way. One of the good things about high quality sourcing, is that you can spend less time looking where it ain't. I doubt anyone will have much success focusing on what known criminals and proven liars have to say. The fact that their stories look good, is all about reverse engineering, IMHO.

For instance, someone may show you a ceremonial spear hidden in the mountains. It would be easy to make the assumption it's Apache and the real thing. On the other hand, it's more than possible that person made the "artifact" himself and placed it in that crevasse.:o:dontknow:

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Trusting a "high quality source"? When it comes to the DLM, there are none. How could there be since most of what we have are second hand clues and fractured memories.
Best to focus on the quality of the information being provided. If it proves to be "garbage", note it and move on.

But if you are unwilling to do so, at least be even handed in your criticism... meaning, stop giving your "friends" a pass when they post information that is obviously incorrect.

The word of criminals and liars?
People sometimes make mistakes.

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Roberts Facebook page he did say he was going to Peter's Mesa for a week or so..it is open to public viewing and contains a lot of photo's plus informative articles..More than I have encountered anywhere else and very interesting historically.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vincent spent far to much time reading Billy Shakespeare and drinking wormwood extracts.

"Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice"
:coffee2:

UMMM...

D'ear John.jpg

Thought I might run into Matthew, since I was in the neighborhood of Peters Mesa and well within visual range a little over a week ago.
But didn't see him, or any fake ceremonial spears either, for that matter. This trip was prompted by a hunch of my own related to the LDM, and having some free time, decided the cooler weather that was forecast might make for a few pleasant days out there. It was, and they were.

Regards:SH.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
gollum,
I am not sure why you would make that information public unless Matthew already had done so and I missed it.

Peter's Mesa is a difficult, dangerous hike and I would discourage anyone from trying it, especially trying it alone.

Don't worry, Hal. He'll be fine- he knows what he's doing. He'll be back next week.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still don't understand what wanted to say the poet with the verses : " I doubt anyone will have much success focusing on what known criminals and proven liars have to say. "

Can anyone explain ?

OP
OP
Old

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, just when you thought it couldn't get any more puzzling ............watch this <g>

I filed a FOIA request to the Pinal Co. Sheriff's office, records section, requesting........any and all police incident reports and/or inventories in the recovery of the body of Walter Gassler beginning May 1984 thur May 1985.

Here's the results of their search for records:

Lynda Cooke,
The request you submitted on 12/17/2015 10:54:55 AM, FR-151217-A66-3822 , we have researched and there is no record on file for this person/incident.

Records will be closing out this request.

Respectfully,
Pinal County Sheriff's Office RECORDS UNIT
Florence, Arizona

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lynda

Maybe you have to try at Maricopa County Sheriff's Office . The border between Pinal and Maricopa is on the trail and little up from Charlebois Spring .

OP
OP
Old

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Marius,

I will try Maricopa Co and State of Az. The reason its so puzzling is Pinal is the county of record in other related documents. Odd, very odd.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Thanks Marius,

I will try Maricopa Co and State of Az. The reason its so puzzling is Pinal is the county of record in other related documents. Odd, very odd.

Lynda,

The problem is, and always has been, that the county line runs right through that area and neither Sheriff's office wants to handle investigations back in the mountains. Never an easy job, as you can imagine. I would imagine Greg Davis or Tom Kollenborn can answer your questions. Ryan, I believe, has made contact with both men. Greg is on this site on a regular basis, so you might just ask him.

Good Luck,

Joe

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Lynda,

The problem is, and always has been, that the county line runs right through that area and neither Sheriff's office wants to handle investigations back in the mountains. Never an easy job, as you can imagine. I would imagine Greg Davis or Tom Kollenborn can answer your questions. Ryan, I believe, has made contact with both men. Greg is on this site on a regular basis, so you might just ask him.

Good Luck,

Joe

lol...very true....neither agency really wanted to pack in the mountains and spend a week looking for a body then packing it out..from what i hear they would argue over which agency would have to do the deed

OP
OP
Old

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Joe & Dave,

heheheehehee......I did ask. Several times if anyone had seen or had a copy of the police incident report. I believe once (haven't looked back) in this particular thread. To no avail. Alas.
It would answer a lot of questions. I fear Mr. Davis thinks me just a pesky gnat <g>, maybe appropriate. Gnats are persistent.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
have you tried asking roland if he has a copy?

Dave,

I believe the family does have some paperwork:

[Two days later Bob received a call from a man claiming to be Walter Gassler's son. Bob said he was busy and would return the call shortly, then asked for a home number. That telephone number was the same one Walter Gassler had given him. This time, it appeared, he had the right son. Bob Corbin was also impressed with the fact that the man said, "I don't want to take the notes away from you; my father wanted you to have them. But, if you could Xerox them and give them to me for our family mementoes, I'd appreciate it" Of course, the attorney general complied.

The pair met for lunch. During the course of the meal, the son was politely questioned as to his father's effects which were brought into town by the sheriff's office. Bob said, "Ron, did you find your dad's backpack?"
Ron looked puzzled and answered rather hesitantly, "Why, no. It was listed on the paper which recorded his effects but when I picked them up it wasn't there."]

Perhaps Mike can get in touch with Mr. Gassler and ask if he has that paperwork.

Take care,

Joe

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gollum,

Instead of giving me crap, maybe you should friend him on FB:

Matthew Roberts.jpeg

Seems pretty clear that he broadcast that a couple of weeks ago.

Mike

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Instead of giving me crap, maybe you should friend him on FB:

View attachment 1253828

Seems pretty clear that he broadcast that a couple of weeks ago.

Mike

Wow.
Even after I offered an upfront apology and asked that you ignore me if incorrect?
Regardless, that was two weeks ago and Matthew obviously did not share his travel dates in that post, intentionally I am guessing.
I could be wrong.

It's just concern Mike which, I think you can appreciate.

Anyway, enjoy the New Year.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hal,

I think Mike may be feeling a little paranoid right now. Just give him a little slack for awhile. :hello: Perhaps a little Adele:dontknow:

Happy New Year!

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread