Wanna dig a signal - but the ground is frozen ? - click here !

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings friends ! I remember hunting an old park here in Santa Fe, last year in december I think,

I was locating some nice signals on my MXT - penny/dime and quarter type vdi's , but I simply could

not get thru the frozen terra firma to retrieve them , even with my leche. This year I'm seriously

considering backpacking a small plumbers torch into these situations and thawing out my finds. Have

any of you tried this ? Have i completely lost my everloving mind - any and all feedback would be

welcome. Oh - back to the story of those unretrievables , I marked them with sticks on the ground

like X marks the spot and went back a few weeks later during a warming trend and dug those signals

at least one of them turned up a silver rosie. Argentium.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I think you have finally lost your mind. If you are married, don't let the wifey know. :D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
dont know about a torch but me and Bergie have used a chisel and hammer before! it worked! we actually dug a Connecticut copper that way last winter! :thumbsup:

S

stefen

Another possibility :wink:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 283

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a can of that green spray paint that construction people use make a big dot over it and go back in the spring

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Not a particularly good idea. Rocks (even small ones) that retain moisture can explode violently if hit with enough heat to vaporize the moisture within. Probably wouldn't happen - but you never know until it's too late.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i dont think a torch would work well since soil is so good at absorbing heat. the torch would only heat the soil for an inch or two at a time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread