Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing to remember is no one machine will just signal on the good stuff and ignore all the junk. Every major brands has great options, but you won't be a perfect fit with all brands or machines. Talk to dedicated dealers...not some hobby shop with a few machines in a display case. Personally I do 90% of my hunting with an audio only machine and 10% with a display/indicator machine. Other people wouldn't be caught dead with an audio only machine. If it's at all possible visit a dedicated dealer or two...they will have machines you can actually try in a test garden and they'll have years of metal detecting experience and enough great finds on display to make your mouth water.

My local hobby lobby actually has machines to rent. (For people who lost something and want to try to find it themselves.) So that's one way to try at least one or two machines before putting down your money.

There are a couple of great dealers who work with this site. Talk to them to help narrow down your options.

JanThorCro

Aug 29, 2012
The Land of Captain Crunch
Detector(s) used
DFX

Starting to understand the machine. :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have alot of time.

That suggest's turn on and GO.

I'd recommend the MXT Pro by Whites. 3 knobs and a couple switches. Plus Jeff Fosters MXT book, it's a home run.

Superb ground balance, has a reputation 2nd to none and a fanatically successful fan base. If my EGO had not gotten in the way I'd be driving one right now.

Whatever you choose have a blast.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
L

luckyolson13

Aug 30, 2012
Thanks to all that have helped I will take this all with me when I decide to buy the snow is coming so I'm not in a rush. But keep the comments coming

Tee1up

Sep 9, 2012
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky, spend some time on Youtube and watch videos of people working their detectors.
I've become a big fan of mjcz5853 who tends to use mostly Tesoro and ultimately led to me picking up a Tesoro Outlaw.
Research is key though. There are a lot of really good MDs out there and you don't always have to drop a ton of cash on one to enjoy the hobby.

Thanks to all that have helped I will take this all with me when I decide to buy the snow is coming so I'm not in a rush. But keep the comments coming

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions