Want to grade this but not sure?

metaldetectinggod

Sep 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I found this coin about five years ago in the drawer. Something about the golden color of it stood out and I snatched it up. It has wear marks from die polishing but appears to be a high grade. I was thinking about getting it graded one day, but needed more opinions on it before I blow 100+. I do know its a 1996-p spiked eye but ive never seen one in this condition. It looks as if it was done right after the die was polished. IMG_1552.JPG IMG_1553.JPG IMG_1558.JPG

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can grade any coin. Do you mean attributed? Any color change is just toning. Did it come from a house that people smoke in? A spiked eye as you call it is nothing but a crack. Just a fancy name. None of the things you mentioned are a reason to spend money to have a coin slabbed. I'm sorry, but that coin's value is 25¢.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally would not. You could get a higher grade coin for a fraction of the price of grading it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The coin does not have a Spiked Eye Error but actually shows the results of Feeder Finger Damage (Error) to the Obverse Die. The coin also shows excessive Die Polishing and abrasion of the Dies probably to remove Die Clashing as well as being struck through grease, especially on the Reverse. This example of Feeder Finger Damage may interest some collectors along with the other problems but as enamel7 stated, it really is not worth the cost of having the coin Certified, Graded and possibly Attributed for the Errors. It is quite possible that none of the Third Party Grading Services would even attempt to Attribute the Errors for notation on the holder's label.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread