Want to start a treasure club, help please!

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I'm wanting to start a new treasure hunting/metal detecting club in my area. I've never started one before so I just want to ask everyone for any pointers they might have as to how to make my endeavor successful as possible. If you've never started a club before I'd still like to hear what you would personally like to see out of a club if you were going to join one. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
S

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? No one? I'm not asking for a kidney here just a little advice. Come on folks don't be shy.

nathanya

Aug 25, 2012
Hi I was looking to start a club or to join one also in my area I think it would be a lot of fun. Where are you looking to start one?

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Silver Finder,

I suggest that you try to start and run a group here on TreasureNet first.
Make your group specific to your area or State. This way you actually have a chance of the members getting together.
Look at the work we did with the PA Ghost Town Group. None of us knew each other before the group began; now we have hunted with treasure hunters from all over the state of PA.

We don't consider ourselves a club; just a group of guys that gets together to metal detect. No dues, no rules; just good ole fashioned fun. We have a newsletter that we publish about our outings and use the group forum for all of our communication.

You can see my article in the HELP forum on running a successful treasurenet group.

Good Luck

Cheers
:occasion14:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
We put an ad in the local paper inviting the public to come to a meeting if interested. We have a website that we post all of our finds on as well. So people can easily take a look at what we are about.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey everyone, I'm wanting to start a new treasure hunting/metal detecting club in my area. I've never started one before so I just want to ask everyone for any pointers they might have as to how to make my endeavor successful as possible. If you've never started a club before I'd still like to hear what you would personally like to see out of a club if you were going to join one. Thanks in advance.

Silverfinder and nathanya, I'm afraid the day-&-age of brick-&-mortor clubs is in decline. Used to be lots of them, but a lot of them have closed their doors (d/t lack of attendance, members, interest, etc....) and to start new ones is hard. Perhaps maybe in major cities, you might find enough folk willing to come out 1x p/month, and do the various show & tell, club things, etc.... but basically, ....... here's what's going on:

For the last 15 yrs, the internet has slowly taken over the social niche that we have, to connect, see who's-finding-what, brag, inquire, meet, etc.... No more do you need to see what the latest-greatest machine, or technique, or show off your find, etc... by going to meetings. Now this is done by forums (even geographic specific forums!). So it's pretty hard to interest people in getting in their cars and driving somewhere to be at a monthly meeting, when they can just open their 'puter, and see the latest gadget reviews, videos, people who hunt in their area, history research, etc.....

Sorry to burst your bubble, but ..........

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think clubs are a great idea. If you want to find out about a new detector you can find out the weight on line but does the balance or sweep speed really suit you ? You can try out several brands of headphones and get the very best for your detector....the best for one is not the best for another. Possible machine fault then compare with another and find out if its your settings or not. Swap coils to check them etc etc.

A club can indicate what works well in your local area. The best on the West coast is rarely whats best on the East. They help sort the hype and downright lies that its so easy to post online.

Best of all if you could get just twelve people to join and each tried to find one good site per year then you have a new site to go to every month, hopefully each member could provide more and then your well away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions