WANTED! Experienced M/D Operators Only!

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks,
Thanks to everyone on T/N ;)...finally decided..I will be purchasing a M/D...as soon as 'Oldman Winter' lets-go!
So, as I don't want to be confused or disappointed with my first purchase... anyone with many years "Real, Hands-On Experience" would be VERY helpful to a 'Greenhorns' decision on my 'first M/D' to purchase...thinking mid-range?..price-wise...but who knows!? :)
Thanks!, in advance for any knowledge from "The Experienced Folks".
TJE.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there are a lot of factor that will come into play.
What EXACTLY is your price range? You can go from 100.00 to upwards of 3,000.00 (US)

What will you be using it for? Coin hunting, relic hunting, beaches and water, prospecting, etc...

And beware in advance. There is a LOT of brand loyalty here. You will get 20 different suggestions and they will all be right and they will all be wrong.

Getting hands on experience with a machine is always recommended.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Critical-recovery has a valid point : you have to specify type hunting and type sites you intend to do. Your junk tolerance, etc .....

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's has a detector for you and they hold there resale value

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest that you read through all of the posts in the last few months with a similar request as yours and look at the responses from those folks who have been t net members for a few years. That will give you a ton of information about the factors you need to consider as well as recommended detectors. I would also strongly suggest you make a field trip to the nearest metal detector shop and actually try the ones you are interested in before you buy.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whites, Technetics, Fischer, Tesoro, Garrett, Minelab.... to narrow it down... any detector that meets your specific needs. Have I been clear enough? TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What, exactly, are you looking for and where? Mineral gold? Jewelry? Beach finds? Field relics? Casches? Coins at fairgrounds? Old silver coins?

Are you willing to work at a detector of prefer a "point-and-shoot" autonomous model?

How much are you willing to spend?

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used machines from White's, Garrett, and Tesoro.

I've had two Garrett machines and did not like either one of them. I hate the multi-tones (I won't buy a machine with multi-tones.) to start with. They bounce around all over the place if a target does not fit within a the predetermined levels. Plus I've never found them to be all that accurate. I bought my Garrett's 15 years apart and both came highly recommended.

I've had mixed results with White's machines. The most accurate machine I ever owned was a Mid-Level White's back in the late 90's. I decided to upgrade to their highest end model at that time and ended up hating the machine. I also had a Classic II (first machine) which was a solid machine. In fact when I upgraded I sold it to a co-worker and he found ton's of silver coins with it. My biggest complaint about White's machines is I found they don't pin-point as tight as I'd like.

My machine of choice is a Tesoro because I found for most of my hunting I prefer an audio-only machine. I don't have the frustration of expecting to dig a quarter and coming up with can slaw. Once you learn the sounds of a machine, you can tell tons about what's below the coil. Usually after I've been at a new site for a while, I've sorted out the sounds of various common targets in that area.

If at all possible visit a local dealer. When I had a local dealer, he set me up with my favorite machine, my Sidewinder which I bought used. Also guestimate the time you'll spend per hunt. The longer the hunt, the more you'll appreciate a lighter machine.

Battery life of my recent machines: Garrett Ace 250, fair at best. A set of four batteries lasted me about two weeks. White's Coinmaster-takes 2 9 volt batteries and lasts about three weeks, maybe a touch less. (The batteries packed with it lasted less than a week.) Sidewinder-takes 1 9 volt battery and easily lasts a month or more.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher products are the best for new comers!! Just turn it on basically and boom your going!

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks,
Just back from out of town...then got in a snowstorm :/
Thanks for all the tips and info...will reply some more shortly.
Thanks Again.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
TJE,too units proven in the areas and for targets you are after would be good candidates. Mineralized rock compared to farmland may eliminate some detectors.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't blow a fortune on your first one. Don't buy online. Finding a metal detector store where that's their main business will be your best bet. I use White's, but I'm not rabidly brand loyal. I would say stay away from brands like 'Shur-Fine Metal Detectors' or 'Hello Kitty Detectors'. Main thing will be is to have fun with it, don't set unreasonable goals, and use it often enough you know what the tones mean instinctively. Good Luck.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there are a lot of factor that will come into play.
What EXACTLY is your price range? You can go from 100.00 to upwards of 3,000.00 (US)

What will you be using it for? Coin hunting, relic hunting, beaches and water, prospecting, etc...

And beware in advance. There is a LOT of brand loyalty here. You will get 20 different suggestions and they will all be right and they will all be wrong.

Getting hands on experience with a machine is always recommended.

Critical-recovery has a valid point : you have to specify type hunting and type sites you intend to do. Your junk tolerance, etc .....

What, exactly, are you looking for and where? Mineral gold? Jewelry? Beach finds? Field relics? Casches? Coins at fairgrounds? Old silver coins?

Are you willing to work at a detector of prefer a "point-and-shoot" autonomous model?

How much are you willing to spend?
I would be using the m/d mainly around sandy beach/stony shorelines water edges and bush.
Hunting for meteorites, old ship wreck metals, and jewelry.
Thinking in the $400-$500 range for a fairly descent (easy-to -use) not too complicated "Beginners" m/d. :tongue3: :laughing7:
Thanks Again for everyones knowledge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used machines from White's, Garrett, and Tesoro.

I've had two Garrett machines and did not like either one of them. I hate the multi-tones (I won't buy a machine with multi-tones.) to start with. They bounce around all over the place if a target does not fit within a the predetermined levels. Plus I've never found them to be all that accurate. I bought my Garrett's 15 years apart and both came highly recommended.

I've had mixed results with White's machines. The most accurate machine I ever owned was a Mid-Level White's back in the late 90's. I decided to upgrade to their highest end model at that time and ended up hating the machine. I also had a Classic II (first machine) which was a solid machine. In fact when I upgraded I sold it to a co-worker and he found ton's of silver coins with it. My biggest complaint about White's machines is I found they don't pin-point as tight as I'd like.

My machine of choice is a Tesoro because I found for most of my hunting I prefer an audio-only machine. I don't have the frustration of expecting to dig a quarter and coming up with can slaw. Once you learn the sounds of a machine, you can tell tons about what's below the coil. Usually after I've been at a new site for a while, I've sorted out the sounds of various common targets in that area.

If at all possible visit a local dealer. When I had a local dealer, he set me up with my favorite machine, my Sidewinder which I bought used. Also guestimate the time you'll spend per hunt. The longer the hunt, the more you'll appreciate a lighter machine.

Battery life of my recent machines: Garrett Ace 250, fair at best. A set of four batteries lasted me about two weeks. White's Coinmaster-takes 2 9 volt batteries and lasts about three weeks, maybe a touch less. (The batteries packed with it lasted less than a week.) Sidewinder-takes 1 9 volt battery and easily lasts a month or more.
Mzjevert, thanks for the tips!

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJE,too units proven in the areas and for targets you are after would be good candidates. Mineralized rock compared to farmland may eliminate some detectors.

Exactly r/c.....won't be on much farmland myself! ;)

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't blow a fortune on your first one. Don't buy online. Finding a metal detector store where that's their main business will be your best bet. I use White's, but I'm not rabidly brand loyal. I would say stay away from brands like 'Shur-Fine Metal Detectors' or 'Hello Kitty Detectors'. Main thing will be is to have fun with it, don't set unreasonable goals, and use it often enough you know what the tones mean instinctively. Good Luck.
Thanks RGINN, good 'sound advice! ;)

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites, Technetics, Fischer, Tesoro, Garrett, Minelab.... to narrow it down... any detector that meets your specific needs. Have I been clear enough? TTC
In 'naming 6 brands'....Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread