jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number 1: A continuing problem for coin dealers has been the detection of counterfeit and altered coins and precious metals ingots. Last year, the online internet auction company eBay made a splash in the numismatic press claiming that they were prohibiting the listing of counterfeit and altered merchandise, including the elimination of a category for numismatic replicas.

Well, eBay has a “Plated & Clad Bars” category. Although the eBay sellers freely admit that their products are not solid silver, the photos of the products show that they state on their surface they are made of solid .999 fine silver. These fakes use relatively well known brand names – without paying licensing fees. The appearance and the physical dimensions are so close to the real products that even coin dealers have been fooled and bought them as genuine.

Fake Bullion Bars Top New Scam

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
glad I didn't order any

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Face to face deals only...and you can drill to check the center.
"Kelly's Heroes - Redux". No need to drill the piece to authenticate. Coin, ingot, nugget. The specific gravity test will easily and quickly reveal the fake with no damage to the specimen. TTC

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Kelly's Heroes - Redux". No need to drill the piece to authenticate. Coin, ingot, nugget. The specific gravity test will easily and quickly reveal the fake with no damage to the specimen. TTC

But how many people have the luxury of being able to test for specific gravity when making a purchase? Heck, if the dealers can't seem to do it, what chance does the average buyer have?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But how many people have the luxury of being able to test for specific gravity when making a purchase? Heck, if the dealers can't seem to do it, what chance does the average buyer have?
You have a point there, Pirate, but the average buyer doesn't deal in bullion bars. Anyone that does that kind of volume and gets duped, needs to go back to school and retake gold-101. TTC

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a point there, Pirate, but the average buyer doesn't deal in bullion bars. Anyone that does that kind of volume and gets duped, needs to go back to school and retake gold-101. TTC

Well, you are probably right. :icon_thumright:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey Terry, I heard that a drilled ingot can be filled with tungsten and that the specific gravity is almost the same. Is that your understanding?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought I remembered that gold and tungsten were close in specific gravity. Gold is 19.2 and tungsten is 19.3. So it seems a ingot, drilled and filled with tungsten would weigh very close to the same.
I guess one could drill some sample holes but that might be a deal killer.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hvacker. Yes, tungsten and gold are close. Gold is 19.29. Tungsten is 19.26. Gold is 1204/cu.ft. Tungsten is 1226/cu.ft. I am not an expert by any stretch but an accurate testing method would be a must. Until you mentioned it, I was unaware they were so close. Tnx. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread