Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That laser thing might work after you hit that big cache. ::) I'm just glad everyone is taking this seriously, wouldn't want any kooks on the forum. ;D

R

rvbvetter

May need 2 caddies for that one. Make sure the clams are out first though. Kiddin

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
What about downsizing a post hole digger. Make it about the size of a pair of loping shears. Maybe a step on the sides. When you come up with a frost busting tool let me know. I got a good 6" of frozen ground to bust through. Anyone got ideas on this one? Jason

R

rvbvetter

Swizzle for your application ,that tool pirate is showing might be the ticket. If it could be figured out how to create a heat source for it, kind of like a hand warmer. I'm thinking it might help melt the permafrost as you push down,and allow the tool to penetrate the soil. Maybe something like a battery powered insulator around the digger that would generate heat. Much like a heating pad. I'm being seriuos here. Perhaps somebody smarter than me out there can figure a way to make it. Just a thought

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I bought a splitting wedge called a wood gernade. Its kind of pyramid shaped and a little hefty. I was thinking of drilling a hole and attaching a rod to use it like a permafrost battering ram. This is not for lawns and golf courses. This would be for the woods. Locate the target and blast the ground all around it and clear it out with my little heavy duty shovel. Fill in my holes and fill a small bucket with frozen targets to thaw out at home. Does this sound like it would work? I'm not closing the chapter on this yet as I would like to dig lawns in the winter as well. Maybe have 10 different heat sources that could thaw the ground out slowly overnight. The cheaper the better, the more holes that could be done. Jason

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see several of you have given this a lot of serious thoug. I started the thread after I spent a day trying to dig with a garden trowedl that although was hefty, kept bending at the handle. Sheer frustration. I do not have the expertise or equipment to put these ideas into practice so I hope someone who does is keeping tabs. I think we have clearly extablished a need.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting some good ideas here. The small rake on the back of the trowel would be a cool setup, an easy to fab.

The wedge ice chisel is cool. How about a design with counter weight opposite a thinner blade that would act kinda like walking staff till you need it to chop. It would distribute the weight making it easer to carry rather than dragging it around. Those log splitters get heavy after awhile 8)

R

rvbvetter

The heat source ,pad or insulator i'm talking about for the digger pirate shows. Would be in the form of perhaps a holster type design. After retrieving target, digger would go back in holster to heat till next target.

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Well I went out with my ice blaster and netted a whopping 64 cents in clad. Whoooppiieee. 4 and a half hours. At least I got out and had some fun. I also checked out an island. It was over a mile round trip but well worth it. Just wish I had a good boat to get out there after the frost is gone. Jason

M

minelabex1000

buckmild1 said:
I made my own plug cutter out of a 1" steel pipe and some pvc pipe.

WOW! This is exactly what I need!
I have low back problems and this tool is perfect.
Thanks!

R

RonWV

EASY TO MAKE DIGGING TOOL

Most everyone has a dirt shovel or two with a broken handle, cheaper to buy a new one than replace the handle. Most shovels have a decent temper and can be customized for a digging tool. Just draw your blade design in the middle so you already have a slight scoop with a magic marker. A Dreamel or Black & Decker tool will cut it out with a couple of discs at medium speed. Find a piece of rebar or any round steel and bend to your favorite shape and length. Weld on the back and make your custom handle to what you like. Mine is 10" long 4" wide and sharpened with teeth on the right side because I am left handed, or teeth on both sides. Once again easy to cut them with the Dreamel type tool. This is easy to do and one tough digger in just about anything. But then I am kinda cheap.

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
I think I got the same tool you found at Big Lots, we have those stores here as well, haven't tried it yet since it seems like it would work while standing, but keep binding up with everything if I had it hanging from a belt and had to kneel down.

Anyway... I think the digger should have a T handle on the top of it so you can put a bunch of downward pressure on it for getting through the tough ground without leaving a permenant dent in your palm.

Dudes

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As hard as the ground has been all summer I think you need something to drill a hole and load it with C-4. Would that make you a Metal Terrorist? JIM

jlewisk

Apr 4, 2005
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Whites MXT
I think it might. Recovery might be a little difficult after "making the hole", the target could be anywhere in the park at that point!

But it would be on top of the ground. ;D

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I use a simple trowel from ocean state job lot that costed $1.69, never bent one, but i keep losing em, so iv bought like 5 now lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread