Wanted: Suggestions for design features of a digging tool

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
I have made several different tools for MDing. The first is a sand scoop made of 4" pvc with 1/2 holes and the bottom strung like a tennis racket. for grass area I use a 9" brass rod (1/4") glued into a golf ball as a probe. I use a long blade screwdriver that has the blade turned upo in to a hook to retrive the target. for other dirt areas i have a pick ax made out of a piece of leaf spring.

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior
only thing i can think of is like some1 mentioned a plastic one,now i dont know a plastic that is tough and wont shatter,the handle is easy wood or maybe a hard rubber but a plastic handle would just shatter,any1 got thoughts?

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For people like me who has back and leg problems a long handle is a blessing. The less bending over I do like when using an army shovel the better. I have an old army shovel that when I get time Im going to weld all of the folding parts so they will never move again ;D and put a longer handle on it to save wear and tear on my back. For my situation and what I like to dig for (relics) it will be perfect! I will do a before and after picture and post it if anyone is interested.

KFB

vegemite

Jan 21, 2008
West Aust.
Detector(s) used
White's: MXT,V3i Minelab: Excalibur 1k
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, new to this forum, a little over a year in detecting.

I have made all of my own digging implements apart from one smallpick type which is cast iron and very brittle,(green one in pic), I'm now using a pick made from a plough sheer, very strong and durable and IMO the only tool required for detecting. It's unusual clove shape is ideal for parting grass (rather then tearing out) leaving it intact to reduce damage for regrowth when filling back holes.
The pick also allows me the option of not having to place my detector on the ground when retrieving items which is a big plus when detecting wet grass or beach sand.

Just thought I'd share,
regards, Veg.

Attachments

• 000_0537.JPG
    000_0537.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 485
  • 000_0534.JPG
    000_0534.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 607

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Isn't anyone else worried about damaging whats buried down there. If it's not lawn I use a E tool/shovel and dig 3 to 4 inch away, sand a scoop ( I like the 4"PVC idea ) In lawn I probe w/ a brass rod and lift with a bent screw driver if needed a M16 bayonet to cut a plug place it on a shop rag so all the dirt goes back. I hunt RR track beds pretty regular and use a hand Maddox/ rake in the gravel. Carry it all in a framers tool pouch with room to spare for the pinpointer, flashlite, pen & paper and a magnet. Trash goes in the pouch finds in the pocket. What would make my life so much easier is wireless one eared headphones that worked well.

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
they need one that instead of a jagged adge alone it needs an electric chainsaw! :P

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I have made a few digging tools. The easiest, and arguably the best is an old lawnmower blade.
They are almost industructable. Just cut into at the hole in center to make two. Weld a steel
conduit or water pipe to it for a handle. Do not sharpen to a point, but rather just sharpen across
the end and down both side. You can also then cut teeth into it for root cutting. Paint with epoxy
paint(you can buy it in a spray can). Put on several thin coats, and allow to dry between each coat. It will be almost impossible to bend, but still have some spring in it. By leaving the end wide
you will have less chance of damaging a good coin. It is also pretty cost efficient as you can use
yours when you change blades this year. Just my idea.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Monty,

Check out this link: http://www.wilcoxallpro.com/. This guy has been making these tools since the early 70s. I used to sell them in my MD shop. I'm STILL using three or four of them, I never wore them out! Joe

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Monty,

How are you coming on this project?
I was going to have some made in time for the CTH, but it never panned out. I couldn't get the metal shop to get started :(

TW

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty,

Old thread, but here's my current favorite. It's about 8" x 2-1/2" wide and of spring steel. The grip angle lets me lean my weight on it and it's strong enough to flip a good sized plug. For deeper hits I push it in a "U" shape, and for really deep hits I "box" the target and lift out a rectangular plug. It's great at parks because even 8" deep holes re-plug with no evidence afterwards.

I like the Lesche, but anything ofe 5" you have to dig the hole wider to get the "ears" down in. The Lesche is still the best for working around rocks and roots. I also carry a chisel tip rock hammer for "non-parklike conditions".

Attachments

• Trans Miss Digger 1.jpg
    Trans Miss Digger 1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 423
  • Trans Miss Digger 4.jpg
    Trans Miss Digger 4.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 455
  • trans Miss Digger 2.jpg
    trans Miss Digger 2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 434
  • Trans Miss Digger 1.jpg
    Trans Miss Digger 1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 388
  • Trans Miss Digger 4.jpg
    Trans Miss Digger 4.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 383
  • trans Miss Digger 2.jpg
    trans Miss Digger 2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 396

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
JamesE said:
My little Jack Russell would dig a hole where ever a female in heat had peed, except for that he was a pretty bright little dog. Sounds like everybody's going high tech when there's a more eco-friendly solution. jim

How did you get a female in heat to pee on your target ??? ;D

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This topic is nearly 3 years old and there are some really good suggestions and they are still coming in although a bit off topic at this time. I think any number of new tools are on the market that should suffice for anyone's need. I don't think there ever will be a perfect tool for everyone, so shop around and I'm sure you will find just what you want. Time to close this topic down and thanks for all the replies. No more please. Monty (formerly known as Jimleo)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread