War Nickels as a silver stack source

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I bought some war nickel rolls for $28 apiece, basically 22% under spot for the AG content. Obviously under spot is always a good thing but 35% is a much less desirable coin. Would like to get the groups thought on at what price (relative to spot) are you all comfortable buying war nickels (if at all) for the AG? I put in a low-ball bid assuming I wouldn't win and was surprised to see them sell for that price.

Thanks

bradley1719

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Provident Metals lists their buyback price at $14.75 per $1.00 face value. So they would pay you $29.50 for what you paid $28 for. This of course is based on today's slightly higher silver price. Depending on what you paid for shipping (if anything) and what the price of silver was the day you bought them then you probably did just fine.

I wouldn't put ALL of my money into war nickels. But if you like them then there is no reason not to invest a bit of your money on them as long as you are paying less than what a company like Provident or APMEX would give you for them.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Although war nickels are cool, they are the worst silver investment you can make UNLESS you get them for less than wholesale. Kind of like circulated US silver dollars (the older ones). They are one step below 40% halves on the list of worst to buy, and some refiners won't take them because they have some other kind of metal mixed in there, I cannot remember what metal that was right now though. I bought an unc set of them for my collection and that's it. The buy/sell spread on them locally is wider than any other silver coin.

Just my opinion.

Jim

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Bradley - thanks for the info - the $28 I paid included shipping so it's the 'all-in' price.

Jim - I think you're right on the money. If you can get them cheap then go for it, if not, ignore them.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
They can be hard sells or no sells, the Hunts didn't want them back in 1980, nor the 40% halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread