WARD BASED HIS STORY ON ORIGINAL "THE BEALE PAPERS" PUBLISHED 1850

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have talked to some of the extended family line. Jimmy Luck's father was in his upper 80's or 90's and was still a ranger at the Peaks of Otter. I talked to him when I was getting gas there on the left before you get to the lodge. He told me that he and his father before him which would be the Rev. G.P. Luck. Now that goes all the way back to the origin of the story or before the date of 1885, He told me all his relatives had searched for the treasure. He was even with Pauline Innis and her husband Admiral Walter Innis. They were accompanied by Buck Lester and an old gentleman from Buchannon-----can not recall his name but they ran a store in Buchannon and there is a photo of him in Ed Easterling's book.

Another member I talked to was a history teacher in Bedford County and lives in Montvale, Frank Otey Smith. Mr. Smith and Jimmy Luck told my partner and I on Porter's Mt. that Thomas Read was the man that buried the treasure and not Thomas J. Beale. They both said their family and kin knew all alone but they wondered how my partner and I had figured that one out. Well there are records in the Bedford County Courthouse where Thomas Read borrowed a tow wagon with hitch and broke the wagon. It was built like a tow truck today and heavy objects could be loaded and unloaded. Only Thomas Read busted the wagon and left back out for New Mexico Territory. Well you know the rest of the story.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...and explain the distinction between Thomas Beale and Thomas J Beale which you mentioned.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
NOT certain... BUT! Didn't Hazlewood just mention a TREASURE... NOT a BEALE TREASURE to Clayton Hart...? Just a TREASURE.... NOTHING about the "Beale Expedition", Robert MORRISS/MORRIS, TJB/Thomas J. Beale, etc...? Gotta read the HART PAPERS, again... COULDA been "4 miles of Buford's" STATION, in current MONTVALE, Va. woulda "hit" Newton Hazlewood's property (EAST of current Montvale, Va.)... AND! It IS towards the "PEAKS".
If you notice in the account of the medium's reading (written 10 years after by George Hart from memory) a lot of the activity takes place in Buford's Inn and nearby surroundings- the farmers "vegetable cave" is mentioned as a possible site to hide the treasure. Jewelry is not mentioned, but a vast array of various gems are.
It is mentioned that shortly after coping the ciphers for Hazelwood, Clayton Hart went to Lynchburg and purchased a copy of the printed job pamphlet in 1897.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... Gotta read the HART PAPERS, again...
The Hart Papers
Notice how George Hart alluded hat James Beverly Ward was the author of the Beale Papers.
"That Ward, by accident as he suggests succeeded in finding the key to Cipher No 2...created a suspicion that the story might have been made up instead of founded on fact..."
With what Franklin posted above, and knowing all the various family connections involved, that is a curious statement.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO TELL MORE! Did they find it...? Dig it up!

As I recall Pauline Innis said they dug where their metal detectors gave a signal. They dug and found a wagon wheel and gave up. She said later she wished she had removed that wheel and keep digging. Sometimes items are buried on top of the treasure---------pirates did similar. She may have found the treasure had she dug deeper. The other man's name with them was Toler Ransen. In my decipherment I had an Eren Ransen could have easily been John since I only had the letter "n"

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and explain the distinction between Thomas Beale and Thomas J Beale which you mentioned.

That is what Jimmy Luck and Frank Otey Smith said when they said the man that buried the treasure was Thomas Read and not Thomas J. Beale. They made sure they said the middle initial. They said the story was made up to find the letter that contained the "KEY" which TJB or Thomas Read was to mail from St. Louis. The letter was found at the Blackhorse Tavern and the "Key" was later sent to Washington, D. C. to a codebreaker but I do not know his name. A copy was also made and it has not surfaced either.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now according to the Hart's, they first became aware of the Beale treasure in the summer of 1897, when Newton Hazelwood asked Clayton Hart to make copies of pages containing ciphers.

Isn't it also odd that the copies requested were not of equal number. Why not the same number of copies of each?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...and where did Clayton Hart purchase that copy of the Beale Papers in 1897 Lynchburg- the Hart Papers state that he hadn't met Ward until 1903?

O

Old Silver

Funny how people can accept as fact everything they read in the Hart papers when they think it supports what they want to believe. Since believers in the Beale Papers do the same, then what's the difference?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If it wasn't for the HART PAPERS, Pauline Innis would not have known about the Beale story, would not have George Hart introduce her to the Otey family where she was shown an iron box containing a numbers cover torn paper, and her "GOLD IN THE BLUE RIDGE" would never have been written, which in turn had the pulp treasure magazines pick up the tale and expose the story nationwide.
Until that point, the BEALE PAPERS remained a localized Virginia treasure story that had been long forgotten since its 1885 publication.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If it wasn't for the HART PAPERS, Pauline Innis would not have known about the Beale story, would not have George Hart introduce her to the Otey family where she was shown an iron box containing a numbers cover torn paper, and her "GOLD IN THE BLUE RIDGE" would never have been written, which in turn had the pulp treasure magazines pick up the tale and expose the story nationwide.
Until that point, the BEALE PAPERS remained a localized Virginia treasure story that had been long forgotten since its 1885 publication.
Then in 1987, Beale researcher, Peter Viemeister, published his work on the Beale treasure story, and who he concluded was the author.
The Beale Treasure - Books By Peter Viemeister

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have paid attention, I listed several names that were involved in the creation, publication, marketing and sales of the 1885 Beale Papers.

O

Old Silver

If you have paid attention, I listed several names that were involved in the creation, publication, marketing and sales of the 1885 Beale Papers.

And you think everyone of them were THE author? You cite a lot of people who think the author was ____, all differing in their opinions. Only one of them could be right.

O

Old Silver

As you are so fond of saying, it is already posted on this and other threads. :thumbsup:

Once again you misunderstand my statements. I didn't ask for any information, I was just commenting on things you have been posting. You cite a certain person who thinks so and so was THE author of the Beale Papers. Then you cite another person who thinks a different person was the author. Exactly how does this help your theory? All you're showing is that there is a lot of confusion over the Beale Papers, and we already knew that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread