WARNING to Potential Treasure Hunters, please, Do Not Buy a DFX.....

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......Unless of course you want to find ridiculous amounts of treasure! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I haven't posted my finds in a while, I sort of lost my enthusiasm for posting, though not for reading the posts of others. In any case, I made a find this past Sunday that I just felt warrented a post as I won't likely come across a find like this one again any time too soon, if ever.

I was hunting in an old park, which dates back to the early 1800's, this past Sunday with a friend of mine named Lucky. We've hit this park on several occasions and it has produced a few nice coins for us including 5 silver half dollars for me. On a past trip Lucky had pulled out 7 silver dimes, a silver ring and a 1930's, I think it was a 1935, silver reichsmark coin from Germany that was about the size of a half dollar, only a bit thicker. This past Sunday however was my day to shine with three nice silver coins. I started the day off quick with a silver quarter, then moving very slowly, as the trash is just wicked, I got another high tone snugged right in between two trash targets. After hearing the tone I called Lucky over to take a listen, it was bouncing between 88 and 92 on my DFX. It read out at 5" but when I dug for it, it was actually at around 3.5", hence the scar face I gave it. Well just thought this coin / love token was something else, and worthy of sharing. After finding the love token I went on to find a nice walking liberty half. Lucky found himself two silver rings.

I've been using my 5.3 coil, and even at that you really have to go slow and pay attention to the tones. Eventually, I'll go to work on the other targets besides just the high tones, but I'll have to grid it off in 10x10 sections to clear it of all targets.

As for the topic and the other picture, I just have to say how happy I am with my DFX. I have only had the machine for a little over six months and yet I can't believe the amount of Silver I have found with this machine. The coins pictured here are not even all that I found as a few were in such surprisingly good shape I put them in holders, including an 1892 Barber Half. The picture also doesn't show the 6 or 7 silver spoons, the silver religious medals and the wonderful relics, buttons and doohickeys I've found. So it's with much sarcasm that I say don't buy a DFX. Though there is a wee bit of truth in the statement, as I'd prefer it if I didn't have too much competition. :wink: ;D

Happy Hunting All,

Johnny Cache Hunter

Attachments

• 1826 Love Token.jpg
    1826 Love Token.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2,284
  • 1826 Love Token 2.jpg
    1826 Love Token 2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 2,277
  • Six Months of DFX power.jpg
    Six Months of DFX power.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 2,270
Upvote 1

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! It's been awhile since I've seen something I prefer to see at this site lately! Not knocking other people's finds of course, but I dig enough pulltabs to know what they look like. Plus, a love token has been on my wish list for years. Have had a DFX for years, but have always relied on my trusty Silver Eagle. You got me wanting to break out the DFX and really learn how to use it. Thanks for the extra push.
CurbdiggerCarl

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That love token is amazing. The first one I've seen that was made out of a capped bust. Congrats. :thumbsup:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
ive never seen a love token with enameling before, let alone the fact that it is made from a capped bust half! outstanding find. (banner?)

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Johnny, Man I was just thinking of you guys, they should be cutting that corn down soon. Ummm you can leave the DFX home though. :D

What a haul! I have never seen a love token like that either, and it sure is sweet! That pile of silver is pretty close to AS pretty. Congratulations on such a fantastic job finding that site! I agree BANNER find! :thumbsup: :notworthy: :hello2: :headbang:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
That's one heck of a park you got there, can't wait to se your total take from it when you realy clean it out! Great hunting!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Awesome finds,

The Dfx is one bad Mother.... I've swept away so many old coins from hunted parks with the Dfx it's ridiculous. I'd get every hit outta that park.

HH Jer

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story!

I agree that location is 75% of it, but I have found many things with the DFX that I now know I passed over with my older detectors.

Make sure you send that story into White's. If they use it on their site you will get a nice $100 coupon. My story is the first banner you see this month on the White's homepage. ;D

Congrats again!!!
Neil

R

RUDY2003

Boy Howdy! That site is just rediculous. Fantastic effort and I just Love the Token.....

Keep safe and keep diggin'...

Really Jealous Keith.....

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Wow, talk about a nice bunch of coins. That scar on that 1826 is hard to look at though. Congrats, that is an awesome haul. Any one of those coins would be a great day for me.

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cache. I think it's time for a safe. Lock up the MD first. If you don't have a safe find a nice fence post and...... invite me over for a beer. I'll even bring the beer!

TimC

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Johnny Cache Hunter said:
. It read out at 5" but when I dug for it, it was actually at around 3.5", hence the scar face I gave it.
Johnny Cache Hunter

That is why I usually dig much deeper plugs than the VDI reading :wink:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey man, amazing digs! I have a question, when in a question to you set your discrimination to correlate or just bear through the trash?

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi JCH - I've been swamped with too many things to do this year to get out more than a handful of times sadly - even though I swore I was going to make sure I got out alot!

You need to get yourself a nice wooden treasure chest to start accumulating the beauties you're finding! That's a great pile and the love token is truly a once in a lifetime find!

Great job, but next time go a little easy with that digging tool :)

Good to see you doing well.

paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread