Warren and Steele Percussion Lock

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
So I found this a while back at a Goodwill and bought it because it is so strange I figured I couldn’t live without it. Let me start with what I know. It’s a Warren & Steele Percussion lock.... rifle. Made in NY, probably in the vicinity of 1830s-1850s. IMG_3381.jpg
IMG_3382.jpg
IMG_3383.jpg
IMG_3384.jpg
I guess I am really looking to see if anyone has any ideas or conjecture about it. It’s REALLY small. Only 22” long base of stock to tip of rifles barrel. It’s right around .35 at the bore. It’s not just cut off as the stock is likewise proportionally small. Brass buttplate, which made me thing it may have been some kind of naval boarding piece. The Brits naval Enfields have brass butt plates. Shouldering it is awkward because it is so small it puts the action right up in your face. The barrel is an inch in diameter, so it’s REALLY heavy which makes me think it’s not a child’s gun. The rifling is nearly straight though it’s kind of hard to tell if it’s actually straight or not because the barrel is so short. If it makes a twist, it is a fraction of a twist in the full length of the barrel. The rifling is also crowned which leads me to believe it’s not a cut-off. So let’s put the masterminds on it. What could it’s story have been?

I should also mention that it is definitely a functional rifle and not a replica.

The eagles aren’t engraved I can tell beyond the shape.

IMG_3385.jpg
IMG_3386.jpg
IMG_3387.jpg

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Warren & Steele Albany - 1844 to 1853

Are you in NY? Any markings on the barrel?

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice purchase-well done.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! Goodwill has nothing like that around me...

The backaction lock suits it well. Another example of a similar gun shows a different lock.
Then a rifle shows another backaction... 111122Webcat-1.jpg
Seems usual to have a large inlay in the stock. I originally thought your eagle was "aftermarket" But varied large ones are showing up. Deer ect..

I've watched other shooters (a couple anyways) put small crescent buttplates against a bicep. And shoot well doing it...Practice paying off . And if custom built may have had cast (curve) to the stock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Madmox

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Warren & Steele Albany - 1844 to 1853

Are you in NY? Any markings on the barrel?

No markings on the barrel that I can discern. There is some very light engraving of whorls like on the lock. I’m in CA. I suppose I just assumed NY because of the Albany that is below Warren and Steele.

Upvote 0

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an excellent Goodwill score, Madmox and excellent I.D. ffluries!

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have NEVER found anything that awesome at a goodwill. Nice score! It's already ID'd and I can't add to that, but I will say that it looks to have some nice original finish left, and it needs a careful cleaning and conservation done on it. A qualified gunsmith can steam or boil the barrel and lock and other iron parts, and clean the grime off of the rest which will not only preserve it and keep it from deteriorating, it will add value as well. In any case without having a conservation done, I would recommend doing absolutely nothing to it other than wiping it with a soft rag and gun oil to take off the loose powdery rust and stop that rust from being active, and also brushing and swabbing the bore, again just with gun oil, you don't want to use any chemical cleaners that could damage the wood or remove any remaining original finish.

Check out Mark Novak's youtube channel, Anvil. He has some great videos on preserving old guns, and you might contact him and get an opinion on what to do with it as well https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM86hA7E1y3vOJuzdqCXh1Q

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Some awesome sound advice from NOLA Ken there.

That said since it's short, take it out of the stock, and soak the metal parts in some oil. This will penetrate into the crud and any rust and it'll come off easily. With this one you can take the trigger guard and lockplate put them in a container of your choice to soak. For the barrel and receiver take a section of PVC pipe, cap one end off and submerge them in oil in it.

Your choice of oil is up to you, I typically use transmission fluid. After soaking and cleaning, it leaves a nice coating of oil on the metal. I have rifles that I wiped down over 2 years ago that still have a coating of transmission fluid, and with all the handling they are rust free.

After soaking, clean as needed to remove rust and gunk, but not hard enough to remove the patina. I typically use 4 ought steel wool coated with the transmission fluid, and use a gentle cleaning motion in one direction. After the metal is clean, soak in oil again, then wipe it down with an oily rag to get excess oil off. As for the wood I would do nothing more than wipe it down with some mild furniture polish to get any grime off of it, without doing a heavy cleaning.

After you're done, she'll look good, look clean, will be protected, but you'll have preserved the patina and character of the Old Girl. After that just a quick wipe down with your oily clothe on whatever schedule you set and she'll last another 100 plus years with no problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Madmox

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
It does need a little work. Namely the soldered on barrel retaining...hoop...slot? That the bar slides through retaining the barrel in the stock. I think we only have one gunsmith in the area that I need to take a few guns into to get worked on. Namely because I don’t have the equipment to correctly headspace a new barrel.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread