Water detector

Greenie
Jun 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
Your best bet would be just wait and save your money until you're able to afford an Excalibur. In my opinion the Excalibur is the best water detector on the market now.

Good Hunting!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your best bet would be just wait and save your money until you're able to afford an Excalibur. In my opinion the Excalibur is the best water detector on the market now.

I totally agree with 3121. The Whites is a VLF and has discrimination, while the PI Pro and Sea Hunter II are both PI's and have almost none so you will dig deep holes for small pieces of iron while the VLF and BBS guys are cleaning up. The BBS refers to Minelab Excal and Sovereign GT's. Tiger Shark is the only water machine you can change the coils yourself.

If you definitely don't want to spring for the best right now the Beach Hunter ID, Tiger Shark, or land unit converted for wading will do fine till you can get the best. As for PI's, don't over look the Sand Shark by Tesoro. It's under rated and many don't want to let the word out.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not in the same league as the others, but my advice would be if your determined to buy, then buy the very best you can afford.

I have only used one of those mentioned, I had the BH ID. It is a good machine on the beach and in shallow water. You just have to be very careful with it to be sure you get a good seal when you replace the batteries, no sand on the O-ring.

BHID is a good unit on the beach and the leds help identify what you are finding. I loved mine, ...........till I tried an Excal. I wish when I bought my BH, I had just put the cost difference between the BHID and the Excal on a c.card and sprung for the Excal to begin with. I may own other units, but I will still have an Excal with me. ;D

I have never used the Tesoro but I have heard a lot of good things about it. You can't help but like the lifetime warranty.

One other bit of advice, I bought my BHID from Kellyco, but my next unit will be from TonyinCT. He has spent far more time answering my multiple questions, being honest and trying to help me, (and I haven't bought anything from him yet), then Kellyco did when I was in the store with money in my hand. They sold me the Beach Cobra first :-[ and I returned it.

You can trust Tony to be honest and give you the best deal for your money. ;)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm using the Sand Shark for my beach hunting. One day soon I'll buy the Excal 1000. My wife has a Viper Trident and it's the aluminum and penny king. Can't discriminate out aluminum, and when I try, I'm missing everything good. So, I break out the Sand Shark and dig dig dig, and boy do I dig. It does not miss a thing, and it goes deep.

I've got to get a magnet in my scoop, that's a great idea. I've dug up bobby pins from 10" down, or better. the Sand Shark pinpoints really well and hangs onto a target. I'm thinking I would rather dig everything than miss most stuff, until I'm ready to pony up the big bucks.

I'm getting closer to getting that Excal... I would love to leave all the trash without missing good stuff.

E

elle

I totally agree with GuyInBack. I've been using the Sandshark in water, sand, and on land.
It's worth every penny.
I tested it by an old barn and found a "speck" of century old iron
11" down...I couldn't believe it!
And it will not miss a thing or act up in the water for me - fresh or salt.
I dig everything, and prefer it that way, especially water hunting.
It's easy enough to dig in sand and I know I'm not passing up something significant.
Every detector should seem prescribed for each individual.
I'm sure you'll pick a great water machine to fit your needs!

klopek

Oct 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II
I use a Sea Hunter Mark II. I really love it. I mainly hunt in Galveston with it and can honestly say sometimes there's almost twenty minutes between targets. so I fail to see the need to disc out all iron which would make me almost fall asleep. I use a DFX on land and understand and appreciate discriminating capabilities, but don't yet see the need or can justify spending almost double for an excal ::) I would think that in the water depth would be better than discrimination due to the ever shifting sands. Fresh targets get deep down rather quick.What ever you buy don't second guess your decision. They all find treasure. The biggest factor is how much time you spend in the water. good luck!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True that different beaches have different amounts of trash, there is a lot of iron trash on the beaches I hunt.

The Excal discriminates it, but you still know it is there by the sound of it nulling out. The Excal's advantage is it will tell you when a piece of gold is laying beside, on top, or under an iron nail.

Many times I am 20 mins or more between digable targets, but not between times the Excal nulls out on trash iron. When I first got it I dug the nulls just to see and be sure, never once was it wrong. If I am bored I will still dig it sometimes, but not often.

Good Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread