Water hunters, tell us about your choice of detector.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
I always dig every thing in the water so a pI PRO works for me an I have the goodies for my work

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PI's are cheaper than a Minelab Excal, but I can no longer dig all them deep holes for junk. Excal costs $1095.00 and pays for itself very fast without the sore back. I use the Tiger Shark also.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still a newbie, well except for the birthdate on my drivers license. I use my Excal for the Florida beaches here. I am planning on getting a back up for my Excal before summer hits, it will be another Excal if that says anything.

The only disadvantage I see in the Excal is it was kinda heavy to use when I hunted the city parks, that is why I bought the Whites 6000 Pro XL.

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excal for me. I do own a Whites Beachhunter ID, which is a good machine to let a friend use if you are getting them started in the hobby. The Excal seems to be the best machine for the buck.

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
Hi Ed,

I use the White's PI Pro. If there's somethings there, the PI Pro will find it. That can be good and bad. I can't believe how many bobbie pins and bottle caps I've dug up. I dig at least 10 of each each trip to the beach. Last week I even found a staple at the beach with it. It picks up everything and deep. Last summer I found a small sewing needle on the beach a foot deep. I stuck it under the plastic handle of my scoop and it fell out somewhere. The next week I found it again. I find myself digging a lot of trash and wasting a lot of time. If I had a machine that I could discriminate out the bobbie pins and bottle caps I could find more good targets. The PI Pro is a good machine. But if you can afford it I would go with the Excal if possible which I believe will discriminate.

Glenn

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
For me a water proof sovereign gt in a ikelite casing.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't the Excal pretty much a sovereign gt that is waterproof? If I remember correctly, memory not what it use to be, but they were pretty much using the same electronics.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sovereign GT and Excal are the same inside except the GT has a switch that you can turn off the Iron Mask. The only improvement I could see Minelab making to the Excal is being able to buy it with the waterproof connector where we could change coils easy.

At least we can run the discrimination on Zero and still not find nails, bobby pins, needles, etc. This saves a lot of digging time where we can keep swinging for that special tone that gold rings make.

GaBeaSwpr

May 1, 2006
Appling Georgia
Excalibur1000, her stock shaft sorta sucks and she's weighty, (so I bought a straight shaft) and I wish the headset was less prone to producing so d@%*&d much wind noise.
Otherwise she is poifect!
Jim

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works a lot better with the straight shaft, and I waist mount mine as well, with the bungie cord I can hunt for hours with it

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
I love my Tiger Shark, $629 w/ tax. It goes deep enough for me, I find bobby pins, rusted metal, coins and jewelry. Doesn't do too bad on land either, I found a 39 merc in the back yard with it.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Excal all the way. 800 for diving 1000 for wading

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were I looking for dedicated surf detector tomorro, it would be:

1. Minelab Excal
2. Whites Beach Hunter ID
3. Fisher CZ20
4. Garrett Sea Hunter MkII

Why's?

Excal is THE proven detector these days, with the BHID in 2nd place. I, for one, like some DISC and these two offer it. I dont mind passing over iron crap...and I dont suffer from "gold chain-itis". Give me a bit of DISC, man!

Being a Pre-Bounty Hunter Fisher devotee, I know the CZ20 is a great detector once you get to use it a while, and it doesnt have the reputed learning curve of the Excal. I would only get one now, though, if it was dirt cheap (pun intended), since Fisher has become Bounty Hunter Jr., etc., etc.

The Garrett Sea Hunter is a PI unit, but I like Garrett detectors and they can be had for easy money often enough. Rugged as a tank, they do the job, although the DISC features they claim to offer dont really pan out too well.

I live 150 miles from the SC shore, and so I have a Tesoro Tiger Shark.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Excalibur... hands down, the best beach and water machine I've used. My first was a 1000, the one i have now is an 800, but I purchased, and wired in a 15" WOT coil, with the waterproof connectors. Now it is still the best water machine and it has a 15" footprint.

My biggest complaint on the excal is the shaft and physical setup of the machine... you'd think that minelab would realize that pretty much EVERYONE changes the shaft and they'd start doing it at the factory.

steve

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
The WOT is the "Wonderful Orange Thingy". It is an aftermarket coil (made by coilteck i think) that is made for specific detectors... White's, minelabs, etc. There are several models, but most are large (mine is 15") and usually match the settings for your detector. The bigger coild and its design go a bit deeper, and cover a lot more ground

They plug right into your detector (if it has a swappable coil), and if not are relatively easy to install if you have some minor soldering skills.

steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up my new ML Sovereign GT from Post Office this morning, haven't even had time to put it together yet. :( My 15" WOT is on the way from Coiltek as I type.. ;D

TonyinCT is the man to deal with. ;) He gets ALL of my future business. ;D

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
as for myself , i enjoy using the sov gt w/ 15" wot coil. waterproofed the gt so no worry about getting in soaked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread