Water mod for backphones?

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to pick up Andy Sabisch's book on the XP DEUS. cache_4199628263.jpg

He has a section on water hunting with the XP DEUS. There is an add-on for water hunting that will be introduced here in the US soon, if not already.

Basically, you run a section of coax from the coil and loop around the backphones/headphones controller.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm curious about the possibilities of doing the Deus water-mod without the control unit.

How close would the antenna have to be to the backphones for them to pick up the signal?

It is not the closeness so much as the coil can only be submerged no more than a foot or so. Any further the wireless signal can not push hard enough to get through the density of the water. Hope that makes sense.

XP will be coming out wit a wired antenna soon, just talked to them all about it.

OP
OP
Ammonhotep

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems by the responses that my question wasn't clear enough, so let me try again.

I'm aware of the water mod that brings the radio signal to the control unit while the coil is submerged. That is well-documented. What is not well-documented is a user trying to use an antenna from coil directly to the backphones. This would essentially be the water-mod for the Deus "Lite" version.

So, again, how close would the coax antenna have to be to the backphones for the backphones to pick up the antenna signal from the coil? Does it have to be RIGHT ON the backphones? Or up to the shoulder?

Thanks, everyone,

-Ammo

P.S. I'll pick up Andy's book when it comes out in digital form and I can put it on my phone. I understand from an email he sent me that he's currently working on digital protections.

P.P.S. I emailed XP about the possibility of them replacing the control unit with a smartphone app. It's obvious that the technological base is already there for all smartphones. It's probably only a problem of ensuring they protect their IP. In their email response, they would neither confirm nor deny any future plans in this regard--I'll count that as good news!

Last edited:

biggziff

Oct 12, 2013
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
XLT, Deus, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy some coax (it's really cheap) and experiment. I'm going to say that you'll need to be within 3' or less of the phones to use them.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, has to be within an inch or two.

OP
OP
Ammonhotep

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ism, I suspected as much.

And is your "name" a transliteration of a word I would know in the Middle East?

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ism, a distinctive doctrine, theory, system, or practice.

Ran

OP
OP
Ammonhotep

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ism = The transliteration of the word "name" in Arabic.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I saw that when I was looking up the accurate English definition.
I can't remember why I chose it, but I've had it for a very long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread