AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have not tried that, be interesting to see if it works?
I bought the VIBRA PROBE for in-water stuff.

OP
OP
Mangler

Mangler

Feb 28, 2014
Peshtigo, WI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, BH Quick Draw 2, Vulcan 360, Modified Fiskars Big Grip Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking at buying one of those. The size to me suggest that it was mainly for water use. I only say that because of the 1" Dia. tip. I make small holes when I dig on land. I could be wrong due to being new to the hobby.

OP
OP
Mangler

Mangler

Feb 28, 2014
Peshtigo, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did it do on land? Was tip a little bulky when used in the hole?

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not bulky, just I prefer the detection of the Garrett which detects from the side as well as the tip.
VP was also a little long in the belt holster with bending and kneeling etc.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Whites new pinpointer is waterproof...problem solved, for $160.00 It is the Bullseye TRX.
trx_button_side_2.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from using the pinpointer in the rain or just keeping it clean, at the beach or water you don't need a pinpointer as you have your scoop.

OP
OP
Mangler

Mangler

Feb 28, 2014
Peshtigo, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't weatherproof and waterproof two different things? The Whites new pinpointer is weatherproof. That is what I have read in the description from Kellyco.

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You are correct, White's description does say WEATHERPROOF. At a club meeting a White's distributor did say waterproof to I68 (if my memory is correct to 3 feet) I would go with weatherproof unless White's comes out with something different. Whites is out of stock some dealers have a few...

OP
OP
Mangler

Mangler

Feb 28, 2014
Peshtigo, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So has anyone heard of anyone using a vacuum sealer? Do you think it might work?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So has anyone heard of anyone using a vacuum sealer? Do you think it might work?
if you are talking about wading in freshwater, Sandman gave the best advice. Leave the pinpointer at home and get a decent scoop. I think they are all water resistant with tape over speaker enough to use in rain.

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm new here so this might have been asked before. Has anyone ever tried using a vacuum sealer on their Pinpointer to water proof it?

I vacuumed sealed my Pro Pointer and it didn't work. The vacuum made the on off so it stayed on, then it wouldn't want to shut off. I waterproofed my Pro Pointer after that with GOOP and it's been good for the last two years. With the waterproof pointers out there now it isn't necessary to do this anymore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mangler

Mangler

Feb 28, 2014
Peshtigo, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to know about the sealer doing that. I do believe a good scoop would be a necessity.:icon_thumright:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong!
Say Bye Bye if you drop it in Salt/Brackish water!
It will have to be sent back to the factory for repair/replacement.
Further, you have to be careful when using it, too much pressure on the wand and you
will break the internal coil.

The Garrett Pro Pin Pointer is a great pin point when properly used and cared for my favorite.
I use on when hunting on the beach, to find small objects which fall thru the scoop - mostly junk
which will drive you nuts till you figure out what it is. Sometimes, I have to use - when I am not able
to find the target in the hole. I mostly use it without the detector to remove shallow junk.

When I shallow water hunt with a floating sifter, I carry a waterproof vibratector 580 to find metal in
balls of clay which do not sift out. There is a problem with the vibratector floating out of its holster and
then sinking when wading chest to chin deep water.

Since the vibratector uses PI technology, it may interfere with your metal detector (EMI) and your detector may interfere with the Vibratector unless you point the coils away from each other. I have never had an interference problem with the Garrett Pro Pinpointer as it uses a different technology.

Garret Pinpointer Pro is water proof. It cost about $100

Last edited:

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There's a Garrett video regarding the pro pointer falsing on salt beaches and how to get around that problem. Essentially just turn it on while in the saltwater and it eliminates the falsing. Never tried it but might be worth a shot.

Waterproofing can be accomplished, look at Aquachiggers videos.

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
002.JPG

This was done over a year and a half ago and I have never had a problem.

Paper was put over the on/off button and speaker before GOOP was applied. I then applied the GOOP and spread over the area being sure to go beyond the paper a good 3/8" ( at least ). Also did the same to the speaker hole and just applied GOOP to where the light is, ( no paper ).

I went to Cash Home and bought a very thin O-Ring for the battery compartment. I also used a good quality electrical tape around the seam. I don't think it's really necessary but felt better doing it.

Made a few wraps with para cord and used GOOP to seal it for my lanyard.

I use a sifter when water hunting especially when hunting in mud and clay. May times when I dump my scoop, it's difficult to see the target and the pointer does the trick.

OP
OP
Mangler

Mangler

Feb 28, 2014
Peshtigo, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So the goop on the end help in the wear?

OP
OP
Mangler

Mangler

Feb 28, 2014
Peshtigo, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So the goop on the end helps in the wear? I'm at a loss. So many people want a pinpointer with a adjustable sound with a waterproof seal and no one can make one? The Garrett is to loud and the Vibra Probe is a night stick. Can't someone make something to best both worlds?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread