Waxy Cache

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hey Fellow Hunters!? So as promised, here's what I'd like some opinions on.? The mystery waxy stuff that was in the tin was not a candle.? What I thought was a wick turned out to be a quill from a feather.? There were two pieces of the sculpture still in tact and I'm hoping someone may be able to fill in the blank with their minds eye and ID this thing.? I think it would go a long ways in helping me determine when this tin was actually buried.? The tin hasn't definitively been dated but we know the art work was originally used in the mid 20's.? The coins were obviously from 1949.? The little cake I think is plastic and I could use some input on when plastics starting making their debut.? Anyway, I cleaned the tin and put another pic of it on here.? The real clue here though I think is the waxy sculpture.? It has some writing on the back and hopefully the pic is clear enough for you to read.? (Resizing the pics really messes with clarity).? One question that is really messing with me is,? why did the wax melt?? This tin was buried in a shady canyon, in wet sand.? The last pic shows the melted wax and it definitely looks as though it did so drop by drop.? The funny thing is I have a bad habit of grabbing the coins and throwing away the "junque" when I hunt.? I can't tell you how many times I've dug all these items back out of the trash because it's just eating at me.? I've decided to put them all back in the tin and don't be surprised if eventually I rebury them in the end.? ?So thanks up front guys for any input whatsoever.? ~CO2
PS-Forgot to mention that the two pieces of the sculpture are feet and what looks to be a butt. I first thought it looked like a Maori Tiki but didn't pan out. I know I've seen these legs before as though in childbirth... Maybe some sort of female fertility symbol?

Attachments

• Dcp02842.jpg
    Dcp02842.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 382
  • Dcp02844.jpg
    Dcp02844.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 371
  • Dcp02845.jpg
    Dcp02845.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 363
  • Dcp02846.jpg
    Dcp02846.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 367
Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Sorry CO2, no clue here but if you do rebury it write your name and phone # on it with the words "Thanks for sharing". Then laminate it. Who knows-maybe you'll get an answer at some point.

J

JOHNSKIDS

My wife and I were reading your post and she thinks that the markings on the wax look a lot like astrological signs. Maybe you happened upon someones lucky charms. Try looking up all of the different zodiac signs, because it looks like both the sign of the capricorn and sagitarius are present on the wax. Good luck out there!

F

Floater

Colorado do the pieces fit together in anyway to make a shape even if a piece is missing.and could you post a pic that way? I like the Idea of returning it to the burial spot. Good Karma there. Definitely leave your name and address.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
CO2, not sure but do you believe your container was part of an GPS cache type find? You might want to do some research in that direction.

ksczesny

Nov 26, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few items like that sort of a make shift shrine maybe all of those pieces together mean something to somebody like the makings of a spell or hate to say it black or white magic you said it had a feather and melted wax and possibly the boys hair color was changed ? just a thought

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can also see what looks like an exact match at Ebay

KEYWORDS
vintage kisses playing

If you can date the tin you can probably date the cache

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
IMO, I'd date the cache to the date of the newest coin and then add what the comparable wear on that coin has. If the coin would grade say EF-40 then maybe 5 yr, VF-20 then maybe 10 yr, F-12 then maybe 15 yr, and so on. Just a guess.

OP
OP
Colorado2

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
Jeff~Thanks for the E-bay hook-up! It's nice to see one in good shape.
Floater~The 2 pieces with feet are together. One of the buns broke off in a trip through my trash can.
Thanks everyone for helping...Still think the newest item in the box is the cake (the only thing I didn't take a close-up of). I don't think clear plastic has been around that long. Need to have a closer look at that item and I'll try and post a pick in case anyone is a plastics efficienado. ~CO2

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
A million years ago when I was young they used to have candies and some kind of juice type of deal that was made of wax shapes. maybe? Cladius.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I looks like the engraving said "YUM YUM". All those pieces are from the same object?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Figured it out. It's a gypsey fertility voodoo stash. Whomever finds it will be blessed w/more sheep and goats than a Serta commercial. ;D

OP
OP
Colorado2

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
Cladius...You rang a bell for me. ?I'm old enough to remember the wax juice containers but I remember them being clear with colored sugar water in them. ?It would explain the convex shapes inside both legs as though it was a hollow figure. ?That explains why the whole center melted out and left the legs which are solid.
Haupin...It does look like it could have said YUM YUM. ?
Stoney...Just what I need, more kids! I'm definitely gonna rebury this thing! ;D
Thanks guys!~CO2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions