Newbie- Palmolive token

J

JOHNSKIDS

New to sight, but have been interested for many years. Recently, I dug up an old token in my own backyard. It was about 3" deep, and looked to be copper. I cleaned it up a bit and was able to read everything on it. The front side reads: Good for one cake Palmolive Soap free when you buy one cake." The back-side reads," P-1009 To dealers, This check will be redeemed at your retail price and only when conditions on the reverse side have been complied with. The Palmolive Peet Co. Berkeley." It has no year on it anywhere, any ideas? I looked it up on-line and saw that someone had one for sale for $25.00. This is my first post, and hopefully not my last. Good luck out there!

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello, and Welcome to the forum...
Cool find! I found one of those myself awhile back. From what I can find out about the company the token had to have been distributed in 1927, 28... In the 5th paragraph on this site: http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blsoap.htm
is small artical on the history of the company... from the way I read it, they were only called Pamalive peet, for a short time...
I didn't know they were selling them for $25... ;D? I've seen some others for around $15...
Good luck & Happy Hunting

mh1gs

Mar 7, 2005
Nice find, So far as luck would have it, I have found four of these tokens. My problems was that it seemed that someone back in time used these four as targets for a .22 rifle as you could see where they had been shot. Maybe I will get a clean one some day. LOL keep diggin

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds cool,

can you post a pic?

HH

Lonewolfe

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
welcome new MDer. glad to see your out findin some good stuff, don't forget to show us pix of your finds. as they say "one pix is worth a thousand words". good luck and keep detecting.

D

Darod

Nice find and welcome Johskids.

Leon, perhaps you could post a pic of yours for us to see what you guys have found?

Rod

OP
OP
J

JOHNSKIDS

Hi guys, sorry i do not have a camera yet. when i do i will post some of my finds. thanks for your replys, that is some nice history
of the company. good luck out there.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Rod said:
Leon, perhaps you could post a pic of yours for us to see what you guys have found?

Rod

I just notice mine isn't quite the same I guess... The one I have is aluminum...
Now that I think about it,, it's pretty strange having something from 1927, made from aluminum? ???
I think it says about the same exact thing, I'll have to get the coin out to be sure, unless resizing the pic helps,,, here it is...

Attachments

• Plive.JPG
    Plive.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 269
C

Carrieann

Hey Johnskids ;D My husband found the same exact token in his backyard.
It may not be gold or silver, but it's treasure nonetheless! Keep up the good work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread