We Canadians think its weird.

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We Canadians think it's weird.

We Canadians think it's weird that you Americans keep "digging up" pull tabs?
Now imagine how many beers you'd have to have to get you through a Canadian winter. So when the snow thaws, naturally there's a layer of pull tabs. When summer comes we are all crazy with cabin fever, so we all head to the mountains to party and camp...ergo...another layer of pull tabs.
It's so weird to us that your pull tabs actually have a chance to get underground...lol. We pretty well count out even finding dirt for the first 6 inches.
And what does raw gold come up as on a metal detector, PULL TABS, one of life's cruel irony's...lol.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as much summer drinking here, but now the tabs are more firmly attached to the cans. The earliest tabs were meant to be separated from the can and then came the ones that were just easy to yank off.

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, most of ours are like that too. Some people still break them off so they don't grab the wrong beer. Or worse yet, get a mouthful of cigarette butts...to GROSS! I'm all for that, but use the garbage, or your pocket, or whatever. I like the metal detector people's saying, "leave it better then the way you found it!".
We haven't even camped out at our very first claim yet and we have a garbage can and bag for food and waist, beer cans and foil wrap, and we use old coffee cans with sand in them for cigarette butts (with lids of course).
We are going to be the nicest, most laidback claim owners you've ever met. But break one of our non-negotiable rules more then once, and your sentenced to total banishment!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Wishbone; I'm BARKER. I have read your Post. Gee, maybe all of us filthy Americans should go detecting up in Canada. Just think, we would not need to use discrimination because there is no trash for us to block out. Just think folks, every signal is a treasure. Canada, A true detectorists heaven.!! Grab your gear folks. I'm on the next bus North.!!!
Truth is that I've been to Canada many times and I have many friends up there. I even have Family in St. Johns. Canada is truly a beautiful place if you take the time to look around. Thing is that 99.9% of Canadians do not even attempt to make themselves look any better than any one else. They are not that vain.
I don't know why you chose to come on this Metal Detecting Forum and Post the load of tripe you just did. In another way I will attempt to leave you with a shred of dignity by suggesting that your actions are or were caused by a severe case of cabin fever. I can find no other cause for your behavior unless I delve into the very murky waters of vanity. PEACE:RONB :coffee2:

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a Canadian, light heartedly poking fun at Canadians (and their love of beer)??. For SusanMN, the other poster, it read that way (I think)?
No problem though, I've read posts where it left me thinking, hhmmm is it them, or is me. What I do is PM them and ask if they meant their post the way I understood it. Their answer will make it completely clear what they meant.
The reason I was poking fun at my fellow country persons is because we should be able to laugh at ourselves once in awhile (not always others).
HEY Barker, you and I should get together and tease those commy pinko Russian's...lol...I'm sure our Vodka swilling friends from across the pond, would enjoy a good hearted poking fun of too.
If I offended you, I apologise!

PS. I liked your "dark and murky waters of vanity", can I use that sometime?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barker there nothing wrong with the opening post, it was posted in humor......Please don't attack members..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Wishbone; I now understand and apologize if I offended you. The way I read it sure did not sound in jest. That is why I responded the way I did. I'm glad to see it was of non necessity. To Treasure Hunter. I simply responded in kind. I also left it in a "palatable" manner leaving many ways to rebut my own line of thought. I would never knowingly attack anyone in a plain malicious manner ok. To that end, Yup Wishbone you may use the "dark waters of vanity" ok. I think I just took a sip. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just joking Treasure Hunter! And thanks a lot!!

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a problem Barker, it's all good. When the whole world communicates in one forum, there are always going to be break downs.
And you thought that you were defending your fellow country persons, that's very admirable of you.
I hope you and Treasure Hunter will forgive my off beat sense of humor.
Take care.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey I,m insulted, (o.k. we can settle out of court for a beer.). Just because we drink beer does not mean its all from cans. Come down here and detect a while where class drinkers frequent and behold the joy of the bottle cap!:occasion14:

ERG10Lg.jpg

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a Canadian, light heartedly poking fun at Canadians (and their love of beer)??. For SusanMN, the other poster, it read that way (I think)?

I got the humor, Wishbone, but then Minnesota is so close to Canada, a bit of Canadian may have rubbed off.

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Relevent chair, you got me, I'll settle out of court for a beer. I forgot about beer caps, the other arch enemy of MD'ers. I'm about 3 to 4 weeks away from getting my first MD. It's going to be my very own Garrett AT Gold! And I will build an alter for it in my garage for my AT, I will clean it, polish it, feed it all the batteries it wants, worship it and feverishly dig every target it summons me too!
I need professional help don't I.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on deciding on your first detector. Keep track of your firsts of finds with it. Firsts can be fun. No you don,t need professional help, not as much as time and sunlight and June and mud.

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO JOKE... at the place I metal detect I am pulling up about 1 "object" per minute. Of those objects 1 gold ring, 4 silver rings, one silver puma head charm, ...out of the rest of stuff. 1% lead fishing sinkers, 1% misc, and 98% pull tabs. I am averaging about 60 pull tabs per hour. One swing of the detector can bring 4 beeps.

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day it took me almost 5 hours to detect and dig an area about 6 feet by 20 feet. After I was done it looked plowed. Luckily I am at a place where there is no grass and it does not matter.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Wishbone; Sorry but there is only one cure for this disease. It's called digging. You do it until your hands become calloused and your eyes can perceive different soil types from ten feet away or even more. You no longer think about your friends and family all the time. Now you rather constantly peruse coin books, maps, detector manuals etc. planning your next hunt. Then in the final stages you become consumed by an overwhelming "NEED" to go detecting. In Winter time you slowly go mad. Your every waking thought is about that next site, the next coin or relic etc.. We call it Cabin Fever. You begin to visit libraries which you haven't done in 30+ years. Slowly pacing up and down the aisles staring at each given title of every book in the place hoping to catch the next glimpse of a tidbit of info that just may give you another lead. THEN finally Spring comes and the ground thaws slowly giving way to access to the medication you so sorely and desparately need. Your first coin or relic find of the Season. This is now your Fate.
Welcome to the world of Metal Detecting. Aren't you glad your in it now ?? :tongue3::tongue3: PEACE:RONB :laughing7:

Last edited:

Yard Waste

Dec 16, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett AT Pro International, Garrett Euro Ace.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should see the layers of pull tabs and scortched alluminum foil scraps in Rob Ford's backyard in Toronto. No dirt to dig.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't started detecting yet wishbone?
Well then the joke's on you.......Soon you'll be digging as many pull tabs as the Americans!
:laughing7:
Cheers,
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread