yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good enough day to hit the water for a couple hours after work- with no jacket-- FINALLY! I forgot my glasses, but as it turned out, I did okay even in my handicapped state.

The beach was 'building', as they say, so it wasn't the best circumstance to find things- a lot of sand, but I lucked out in several spots. Found a couple 'chunkers'- the pink broken one is sharp as heck- I could easily prep a fish (which were jumping all over the place). The one with the crazy serrations is a flake and ugly- but I saw the edge, so in the net bag it goes. The broke point is semi-translucent, but it doesn't show in the pic. One gnarly little tan (probably knife?), a broken quartz blade, a very decent pestle (the pic doesn't show the crunchy wear on one end, but it's there), 2 nice pieces- one nicer than the other- of pottery showing good pattern marks (I think the larger one just recently eroded out of the bank as there's no wear and little patina from the river--and a shed from a young buck! Eagles and osprey battling it out for pray, heron fishing along the sandbars. It would have been an awesome day even if I found nothing at all. My plateful was a bonus! Thanks for looking- Yakker

0402141635.jpg 0402141636.jpg

0402141636a.jpg 0402141758.jpg

0403142041.jpg 0403142041a.jpg

0403142044a.jpg 0403142043.jpg

0403142047.jpg 0403142040.jpg Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and great pictures thanks for sharing !!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you did great for less than ideal conditions.
An east to south east wind usually brings warm temperatures but builds the beaches here also.
When hunting isn't good for one type of object sometimes it's good for another type pottery and bone seems to accumulate in areas when conditions are like that.
I try to keep in mind when the sand is building in one place its leaving from another somewhere.
I keep a close eye on stuff like that while metal detecting the beaches here also.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice plateful of artifacts. I need to order up one just like that. Looks like a fun area to hunt. I like water hunting best.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking Pestle and other artifacts. You had a good hunt, rock

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Yak ! I am not sure I would have been able to spot that point hiding in the sand even with my specs on, certainly not without them. Thanks for sharing, and best of luck to you next time out.

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! I'm very lucky I have rivers and Bay to search. It makes me feel better that I'm not digging but rescuing things from being washed out and lost for ever. It may be smoky quartz, Viking. Perhaps a little 'dull' or 'matte' for quartz, but I don't know schmidt when it comes to rock types/lithic- tho I'm learning more every day! I have never had luck in VA- but when I lived there, I didn't even know where to look or what to look for. My Dad lives in Charlottesville (where I lived for many years- working my tuckuss off w/ little time for hobbies such as this. But I did ride my bike up on the Ridge every chance I got), and I go down all the time (he's 88). You anywhere near there? If you ever want to test the waters (James, or...?), I'd be game! I do wish I got a better pic of the pink chunker. For a 'broke', it really is cool looking. Again, many thanks for looking-- and here's to more awesome days of hunting to one and all!! Yakker p.s. for all you blind folk out there- staple your specs to your arm or chest or something so you don't forget the friggin' things!- Redbeard had it right about how hard it is to see things- even under the best conditions!

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats cool if that piece is made from smokey quartz. I have a few pics of a piece a friend has that is a broken Yadkin made from some low grade smokey quartz, not as nice as the chunk you found. Maybe try a pic with some strong back lighting. I live about 80 miles north of Charlottesville, just west of a little town called Front Royal. Ever do any yakken in the Shenandoah River? I live in between the north fork and the south fork, if you ever make it up this way let me know and we'll hit the river. I used to fish out of wachapreague, I love the Delmarva, your lucky to be able to hunt the area.

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats cool if that piece is made from smokey quartz. I have a few pics of a piece a friend has that is a broken Yadkin made from some low grade smokey quartz, not as nice as the chunk you found. Maybe try a pic with some strong back lighting. I live about 80 miles north of Charlottesville, just west of a little town called Front Royal. Ever do any yakken in the Shenandoah River? I live in between the north fork and the south fork, if you ever make it up this way let me know and we'll hit the river. I used to fish out of wachapreague, I love the Delmarva, your lucky to be able to hunt the area.
I'll see what I can do, picture-wise. In the mean time, I know Front Royal- I pass it (relatively speaking) on my way south on 29, and I went to school in Middleburg, so the area is familiar- to a degree. But no, I never yakked the Shenandoah but would really like to- and have done a little research, trying to find landings, trying to figure out whether I have to take a 1-way trip (needing a pick-up volunteer) or if I can paddle up-river. Not very used to single-direction flow rivers- I only began kayaking here on Delmarva. And yes, I'm really lucky to be here. It's been a great education, and the kayak has replaced all the vacations I haven't been able to take (and for a fraction of the cost!). I would love to join you for a river hunt once the weather and water gets a little warmer. Thanks for the invite (although I might have kinda-sorta begged for it...;) ) I'll PM you if I see an opportunity coming up. Yak

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread