Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out over the weekend with the usual gang of FortBedfordBob, DeArmittPA, and Life is Good.... None of us found anything earth shattering, but nonetheless we had some fun in two old camps. I haven't posted much lately, thought I'd throw these out there.

The GPX 5000 was humming right along in the hot VA soils... the first picture is all of the finds.

I added a separate picture of four small lead items... items that I have not been able to ID. Can anyone help? Two are turned one way, two the other direction, with a 3 ringer for size reference. I would have cast them off as junk except I found four of them over a large area.

And the round nose bullet was odd - see how it kind of wants to "crumble".

The curved piece is from the hilt of a cavalry saber.... we have found several parts of it now over several hunts. Still looking for the rest of it. :)

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 11_29_11.jpg
    11_29_11.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 724
  • unknown pieces.jpg
    unknown pieces.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 722
  • odd flat base bullet.jpg
    odd flat base bullet.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 721
  • flat base bullet.jpg
    flat base bullet.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 760
Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You had a good hunt M1. Maybe the unknown lead pieces were cut from a .58 cal. 3 ringer and flattened for poker chips. CBGuy will know if he sees your post. HH, Quindy.

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found same lead circles before. Was told they covered the tops of nails and would come off. Found them all over a farm field. Thought they were CW era since they were mixed with a lot of CW bullets. Great hunt though.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on some great recoveries. I was in Virginia myself this weekend and had a great time hunting as well.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found unfired 45-70 cartridges dating to the 1870's, and the bullets are crumbling like the one you show. I blamed it on electrolysis between the gilding metal (copper) case and the bullet that also probably contained antimony to harden it. Yours is the first bullet not in a cartridge that i have seen that has done that. I suspect that it isn't pure lead, it was cast with something to harden it, and suffers from electrolysis. Muzzle loading bullets are generally cast of softer pure lead, but in a pinch they don't have to be. At any rate, it's interesting.

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I can buy the notion that these odd lead pieces are from nails.... its a site with a high concentration of iron. :)

It was a blast, that's all I can say! ;D

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice CW finds. That GPX5000 is an awesome machine.
Dman

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey y'all didn't do too bad. I was out swinging my Minelab GPX this last week as well. Try that 15x12 Minelab Commander coil next time. :wink: I also tested out the ferrite ring to see if really made a difference, (with, and without) and I couldn't believe how much more stable the machine was.
Take care,
Tell Bob I said hello
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread