Weekend Finds from New-to-Me location

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
This past Sunday I got out for the entire day, sun up to sundown! Went with my long time huntin buddy to a place that we've spent very little time looking at over the years. We went at it with the notion that we were simply trying to figure things out so our next trip out this way would be more productive.

The day started off really well with the bulk of the day's finds taking place within the first few hours. But it wasn't until the last minute that we could say that we may have figured things out and unfortunately by then it was too dark to keep looking.

The large but broken bifurcate kirk was about 50% exposed with the base showing, thought it was broke, gave it a tug and then thought it was whole since it felt a little heavy. This thing is very thin for its size and would've been a killer if it were whole. It's still quite stunning as is and gives me hope that there are more like it to be found nearby where it came from.

The group shot is of points from a couple other sites within the same location. The small bifurcate kirk also makes me hopeful about this place!

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Wow!! Nice day out!! What type is the first point, any idea?? Sure is a different looking point. We sure had great weather this past weekend for hunting. I don't know about this coming weekend.

OP
OP
D

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
The weather was awesome this weekend, made for the perfect day to be out so long. I'm not going to be able to get out for a while with the holidays and family obligations for the next several weekends.

That first point is a bifurcate kirk, don't find too many made that way and that large. Really too bad it's broken, it's a great example of the type.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
dlos said:
The weather was awesome this weekend, made for the perfect day to be out so long. I'm not going to be able to get out for a while with the holidays and family obligations for the next several weekends.

That first point is a bifurcate kirk, don't find too many made that way and that large. Really too bad it's broken, it's a great example of the type.

It certainly is a perfect example of that type. If it only had the tip. Man oh man! I would still be happy with it, just the same!!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you check the dirt where you pulled it from? I have found them like that and wondered where the tip was but never could find them. Still a good find and hope you get many more.

OP
OP
D

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
Yep, poked around and didn't find the tip, the break looks old too. Thanks for lookin!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the very bottom right? Guilford?

OP
OP
D

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
Bottom right is a Morrow Mountain, used up and resharpened as Field Hunter points out, it is needle sharp at the tip. It always amazes me that over all the years these things survive that some stay so sharp. The larger piece above and to the right is a guilford but the base is messed up so I'm not sure if it's a yuma or not. It is also very sharp at the tip.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
dlos said:
Bottom right is a Morrow Mountain, used up and resharpened as Field Hunter points out, it is needle sharp at the tip. It always amazes me that over all the years these things survive that some stay so sharp. The larger piece above and to the right is a guilford but the base is messed up so I'm not sure if it's a yuma or not. It is also very sharp at the tip.

Guilford points are a premo find for us. I have a tiny Morrow mt. I need to post. I'll have to rehunt my room of " rocks" so that I can show y'all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread