Weekend Gold and Silver

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds this weekend at the thrifts and estate sales. The leader board finds are an 18K Gold (yellow and white) and Pearl Brooch and a pair of 21K Hoops. The 21K hoops are the first 21K items we've come across in the wild. They are stamped 875 and have two makers marks I haven't deciphered yet. They were purchased at an estate sale in a community with a substantial Indian American population --- (FYI - 22K gold is rather common among Indian Americans but I didn't know about 21K). The 18K Brooch was purchased at a thrift for $3.00 -- you just can't beat that. Weighs in at just over 7 grams. Marked 750 and the makers mark.

The remaining gold consists of two 14K rings. One is a white gold engagement ring (not a diamond unfortunately) and the other is just a small ring marked 14K CHINA CZ. They'll go to the refiner. Purchased together at an estate sale in a large lot for next to nothing.

The silver - one chain without any clasps (24 inches). One modernist ring. Probably Taxco 1950's. It's signed in 4 places but I haven't figured it out the maker yet. Sterling arrowhead. Two sterling BSA rings.

Excellent hunting all around. To anyone who doesn't know -- remember to look for numeric gold purity marks. 375, 500, 585. 750 875!!!. Also memorize the french marks -- gold from the French Caribbean is sometimes marked with nothing else.

Good luck to all.

Attachments

• PM March 9.jpg
    PM March 9.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 750 mark.jpg
    750 mark.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 259

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember to look for numeric gold purity marks. 375, 500, 585. 750 875!!!. Also memorize the french marks -- gold from the French Caribbean is sometimes marked with nothing else.

Good luck to all.

I think that is a class the local Goodwill workers here have to take before they can sort thru the jewelry.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, the BSA rings will get you a premium.

You're right. I just looked at the past auction results. Thanks because I was going to drop them in the silver scrap pile due to their condition.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds. I have been finding plenty silver, but the gold eludes me.

Hey Frankendime - don't let that gold elude you - you deserve to have it! I went a pretty long time without finding any gold items and thought I wasn't looking in the right spots. Over the past few years I realized I just wasn't looking close enough at the places I was going. One thing that took me a long time to realize is that people overlook gold sitting right in front of them so I can't assume that if I'm late to an estate sale, garage sale etc that the everything has been scored already. That 18K brooch does not look like gold in person. It's a rather poor design and looks very much like a lot of the cheap costume jewelry from that error. I was really suprised to see the 750 mark on the back when I turned it over. A few years ago I wouldn't have bothered to even look at it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread