Weekend Relics, Knuckles, Hat Pins and Deep Holes!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
The western forts housed some of the toughest indian fighters in history. Crook, Custer, Reno and many others inhabited these sites and their exploits went down in history. Extremely remote, with brutal men and climates seem to be overarching themes when researching and attempting to locate these sites. I have had the pleasure of exploring one such site a couple of times per year (when time allows) over the last 3 years. This weekend my brother and I ventured out for a couple of days of camping and relic hunting. We met 2 friends who have explored this site for years with excellent results. The privies have remained elusive, due to my limited experience and the difficulty of reading terrain that has changed drastically over the last 145 years. This weekend, after serious probing and a couple of test holes I found myself in an undug hole behind what was once a cavalry stable. Iron trouser buttons, and knap sack brass accompanied me to the bottom of what turned out to be a red fir lined 6 footer. Pieces of uniform with corroded eagle buttons surfaced in the use layer and periodically I heard updates as various small artifacts including iron buckles and glass buttons turned up on the sifter. As the hole got deeper It became more and more difficult for me to toss dirt from the hole onto the sifter above. Right before I made the decision to start bucketing out the last couple of blackberry seed filled feet, I heard shouting from above, which mainly contained expletives and the word "Knuckles!" intertwined. With my last shovel full of dirt I had tossed a set of period brass knuckles on to the screen! Apparently close to 150 years ago a cavalry trooper dropped his pants and inadvertently deposited his brass knuckles in the outhouse depths. The rest of the hole yielded broken glass, a few more buttons and ration cans. A shallow trash trench gave up a nice Lea Perrins bottle and I later sifted up the matching stopper. With our companions departed, the sun beating down on us and the afternoon fading, we decided to finish off the weekend with a little detecting in a grove of shade trees. Not ten minutes later I heard my brother yell out, "I got something good." He proudly held up a perfect set of crossed sabres, which had lain undisturbed beneath the pine straw since they dropped from a troopers hat a century and a half earlier. Thanks for looking and good luck with your next adventure! When I figure out how to resize pictures I will post some pics from the field.
-Ev

Attachments

• IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 766
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you getting out Evan! I guess your shoulder must be back to 100%. Those brass knuckles are a really cool relic!! The crossed sabers are perfect - hard to find them in that condition.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those knuckles are very cool and probably date to the time of the other CW era relics!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If those knuckles are period ,I would say banner for sure.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for the comments

Knuckles are definitely period.
-Ev

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys always dig some nice stuff at that fort site. I'm sure those knuckles will occupy a prime spot in your relic room. That was a great find, and I know how hard you worked to recover it. Looks like you're ready for some heavy-duty DIV pit digging. Talk to you soon ..... Bill

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for all of the nice comments.

Tough to find good relics out here.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome,hunt/post and finds!!!Great narrative also.A set of knuckles is on my longtime want to dig list!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner for those knuckles!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for the comments. Looking forward to finding some more relics to share.
-Ev

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread