weight of aluminum cans

BCR

Jul 7, 2007
Ontario Canada
I tried collecting aluminum cans last year and had them stashed in a huge clear leag bag, had the thing full it didn't even weigh a pound. The stuff is so light I'm guessing you'd need 400-500 cans to make a pound and I don't know where you are but aluminum where I am has taken a nosedive. When you consider price of fuel now and you might get 85 cents for a pound of pop cans, not worth it to me unless you have a big storage facility until prices go back up. JMO.

:)

Dosamigos

Jul 2, 2007
Strictly speaking about the 12oz. can only, I have been told that different products, ie P3psy vs. Coak have different wts. Word of mouth, urban legend, whatever says 22 cans make a pound.
I have not checked to confirm this and if anyone knows for sure I'd like to know. Otherwise I will find out using the scales at work. It may take some time though as the work scales are in grams and kg.

Otherwise it's easy enough and good for the environment to throw your own cans in a separate container to accumulate. No need to throw good money away eh.

Hint. Smash the cans. I use big thick trash bags. At .60/lb. I got between 25 and 26$ per bag last trip. Without much extra effort you have cash in hand.

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
It takes anywhere from 20 too 32 cans for a pound depending on kind of can. I did some research and found these weights/cans.
Pepperpump

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well because the price of alluminum is up where I live, I was wondering how many pull tabs I would need to make a pound. I have started saving them in a bucket and hope to find out someday... 8)

Groucho

Jul 23, 2007
Jacksonville,Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 With Eclipse DD Coil
chrisplay2004 said:
Well because the price of alluminum is up where I live, I was wondering how many pull tabs I would need to make a pound. I have started saving them in a bucket and hope to find out someday... 8)

roighley about 1552 pulltabs makes a pound depending on the tab.

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure 1550 pultabs will be very easy to find at this rate... 8)

2muchstuff

Dec 27, 2007
Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked my neighbor works at an aluminum can manufacturing plant. Twenty years ago you would get 22 cans to the pound but now they have pushed that to 35 cans to the pound.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
It's well worth the time and effort to collect/recycle cans. My sons call it "work" and take a load off every month, along with other scrap. They average about $100.00 a month. That covers the costs of their pets, expenses-gas and bags, and gives them a little spending money besides.

The cans get tossed into a big garbage can and get crushed by foot about twice a month. It only takes them about an half an hour or so to crush all the cans, pick them back up, and bag them. It's cans we drink, that they pick up out of the hills when we go on our volunteer cleaning trips, and cans we find metal detecting! Those get tossed into a separate can and get dumped on the blacktop during a hard rainstorm about once a month, to get most of the dirt off of them. Then the boys just bag them as they pick them up! Oh yeah, they also sweep all that dirt off of the blacktop! Still the time put into it is well worth the money they get!

Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread