Weird Things that Sell

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, so you may not get rich doing this, but it may pay for your gas money from time to time.

Slipcovers (the cardboard covers) from blu-rays will often sell, especially those from odd movies or those that are lenticular (images move when you shift them). Disney titles seem to sell pretty well also. Here's some examples of some that sold:

slipcovers only in Storage and Media Accessories for DVDs and Movies | eBay

Not going to get rich, but selling something for ANYTHING that most would just throw away always excites me.

Anyone have other oddities?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beer / soda bottle caps. Had a mason jar that got put near some sellables got $6 for the jar!?!? Plastic plants bring big insane bucks. Any weird or different bottles sell good. Even stuff with the pier one imports tags on them will bring bucks! I've had people walk away & come back to pay my insane asking price! Actually had a couple come back two hours later asking if I still had the bottles!?!? Go figure.

Pull tabs! Believe it! I take mine to a recycler that'll pay $25 - $35 for a milk jug full!! They re-sell them to schools that get school supplies for them.

Old screws & nuts, the useless used & abused stuff. Put into plastic bags (1 pound) $3 - $8. Can't keep enough on hand.

If you have patience & space you can sell anything! To me the weirdest thing I've seen is women paying for used makeup?????? Go figure!?!?

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parts in junk drawers at estate sales. People buy a $1,000 camera or TV / stereo etc. It comes w some adapter soare part doohicky that ends up in the junk drawer - often sealed in a bag w descriptive instructions. Somebody somewhere needs it.

cajamk

Jan 5, 2017
Northern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been selling on Ebay for 19 years. Many of those years it was done fulltime and the stuff that sells is amazing. I used to dumpster dive at bookstores, a place that sold items such as curling irons & hair dryers, a comic bookstore, even stuff from a dollar store! Of course, I also went out to garage sales & thrift shops. Now it just is not as much fun as it used to be (and I am a bit older). Many things...you are only getting 1/3 of the $$ on Ebay. Plus, the shipping is now outrageous. But I still sell some items. Just not heavy items.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once I put up some Elk teeth cufflinks and one bidder I looked at who bid had previously purchased all kinds of false teeth dentures. They would buy one pair or a whole lot of a dozen or more. I can only imagine these dentures came people who've deceased. Why would anyone want old false teeth ???

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once I put up some Elk teeth cufflinks and one bidder I looked at who bid had previously purchased all kinds of false teeth dentures. They would buy one pair or a whole lot of a dozen or more. I can only imagine these dentures came people who've deceased. Why would anyone want old false teeth ???
One answer might be for the gold & other metals. I've got a upper set that I found out in the middle of nowhere! I would've busted the teeth out & sold em for scrap when gold was through the roof but the weirdest find factor made me keep em. Imagine some old prospector out in the desert miles and miles from anything dropping his choppers. And I know what you're thinking! I searched the whole area to see if the rest of him was anywhere around. Glad I didn't have to sit there for a day or two waiting for the Sheriff to show up & tell me it was a body........

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One answer might be for the gold & other metals. I've got a upper set that I found out in the middle of nowhere! I would've busted the teeth out & sold em for scrap when gold was through the roof but the weirdest find factor made me keep em. Imagine some old prospector out in the desert miles and miles from anything dropping his choppers. And I know what you're thinking! I searched the whole area to see if the rest of him was anywhere around. Glad I didn't have to sit there for a day or two waiting for the Sheriff to show up & tell me it was a body........
I was going to mention that none of what this person was buying had any gold in them. This guy and others who bid against him were all buying used dentures and other teeth from maybe some animal such as I was selling. The Elk teeth cuffs I sold were custom made and set in non-marked 14K gold. I don't think the guy who bought the old dentures won the auction? I just thought it was an odd thing some people buy. Maybe they pull the teeth and refit them and sell them to folks on a budget or something? Everything a dental technician does is a one off custom job.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love empty boxes, those are one of my favorite. Got $40 for an empty super nintendo box, $25 for an empty chanel shoes box, the list goes on

I've discovered a large quantity of just about anything will sell. Found a bunch of random 80's plastic kids toys in a free pile at a yard sale, put them up as an auction, got $30 or so. Found a gallon ziplock full of just the wooden joints from several tinkertoys sets for .25, got $20 for them in a few days.

Also, super broken stuff, advertised as such. I was once biking and found a pair of ray ban aviators that had been run over by a car, I mean they were trashed. Missing one lens, other lens was broken. The arms weren't bent so I put them on ebay with a .99 start, thinking maybe someone would pay like $5 for the arms. it ended up going up to like $35.

Also once put up a vineyard vines tie that was very stained, I started it as a .99 auction, posted lots of pictures and stated many times that it was damaged, suggested using the fabric for crafts or something. Some lady bids it up to like $15, then a few days after I sent it I get a message from her saying that she was disgusted, and how dare I have the nerve to sell a tie in such bad shape, that she threw it in the trash as soon as she opened it, etc. I calmly replied that I was very clear in both my description and photos that the tie had significant damage, and the choice to place bids based on the info I provided was entirely hers. Never heard back, never got bad feedback, chalked it up as a win.

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a empty John Deere peddle tractor box on eBay once for $100.00

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to mention that none of what this person was buying had any gold in them. This guy and others who bid against him were all buying used dentures and other teeth from maybe some animal such as I was selling. The Elk teeth cuffs I sold were custom made and set in non-marked 14K gold. I don't think the guy who bought the old dentures won the auction? I just thought it was an odd thing some people buy. Maybe they pull the teeth and refit them and sell them to folks on a budget or something? Everything a dental technician does is a one off custom job.
Think that's illegal. One of my old friends owned a dental lab and from what he showed me it'd be cheaper to buy from the distributor. Funny story. He asked a buddy & I if we wanted a set. He did molds and asked me what I wanted. Told him I wanted big buck teeth. Next time I saw him he handed me a set that had front teeth that looked like they came out of a Clydesdale horse! I wore them to restaurants to get the waitresses expressions when I ordered. Actually made a waitress swallow her gum! Then when she was telling the other waitresses I took em out & they all thought she was nuts.

Just had a thought! There was a show called Oddities. Should be able to find it on the web. Watch a couple episodes & I think your questions will be answered! :icon_thumleft::laughing7:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a show called Oddities. Watch a couple episodes & I think your questions will be answered!
Yes, Obscura Antiques & Oddities was one of my favorite "reality" shows. Mike Zohn is a nice, down to earth guy. I emailed him a couple of times about some things he might want to buy. He gave me leads on where to sell.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love empty boxes, those are one of my favorite.

I used an empty X-Box 360 Kinect box to build a better cat trap. The "Jump In" printed on the front really set the hook.

906900_475335852534767_1917494600_o.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cat always jumps in an empty box left open.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think that's illegal. One of my old friends owned a dental lab and from what he showed me it'd be cheaper to buy from the distributor. Funny story. He asked a buddy & I if we wanted a set. He did molds and asked me what I wanted. Told him I wanted big buck teeth. Next time I saw him he handed me a set that had front teeth that looked like they came out of a Clydesdale horse! I wore them to restaurants to get the waitresses expressions when I ordered. Actually made a waitress swallow her gum! Then when she was telling the other waitresses I took em out & they all thought she was nuts.

Just had a thought! There was a show called Oddities. Should be able to find it on the web. Watch a couple episodes & I think your questions will be answered! :icon_thumleft::laughing7:
Here's a set running now up to $64.00 with 10 bids already. Full set of dentures, upper and lower, CREEPY......

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Pull tabs! Believe it! I take mine to a recycler that'll pay $25 - $35 for a milk jug full!! They re-sell them to schools that get school supplies for them.

It is hard to believe a school would pay for these. I think you are mistaken. The collection centers are more likely selling these full jugs to the recycling center for scrap aluminum and in turn using the money for school supplies.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to believe a school would pay for these. I think you are mistaken. The collection centers are more likely selling these full jugs to the recycling center for scrap aluminum and in turn using the money for school supplies.

Sir! Go back and read what I said again. No! I'm not mistaken. This is not a collection center. It is a recycling center aka junkyard. This I know as fact because The owner is a long time friend and I did most of the electrical for him when he opened and am there at least once a week to score goodies or buy metal for restoration projects.

This is a program that's supposed to make money for teachers to buy school supplies. OK? three or four teachers get together and buy a jug to add to what the kids bring in. It's a school project kind of thing. I'm thinking there's probably some rich dude with a whole garage full of tabs and one sincerely p1ssed off wife. But is a cool guy for helping out kids! Leave me your contact info in a pm and I'll get my friend to give it to one of the teachers so you can find out what happens after they collect them. Good enough?:laughing7:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love empty boxes, those are one of my favorite. Got $40 for an empty super nintendo box, $25 for an empty chanel shoes box, the list goes on

I've discovered a large quantity of just about anything will sell. Found a bunch of random 80's plastic kids toys in a free pile at a yard sale, put them up as an auction, got $30 or so. Found a gallon ziplock full of just the wooden joints from several tinkertoys sets for .25, got $20 for them in a few days.

Also, super broken stuff, advertised as such. I was once biking and found a pair of ray ban aviators that had been run over by a car, I mean they were trashed. Missing one lens, other lens was broken. The arms weren't bent so I put them on ebay with a .99 start, thinking maybe someone would pay like $5 for the arms. it ended up going up to like $35.

Also once put up a vineyard vines tie that was very stained, I started it as a .99 auction, posted lots of pictures and stated many times that it was damaged, suggested using the fabric for crafts or something. Some lady bids it up to like $15, then a few days after I sent it I get a message from her saying that she was disgusted, and how dare I have the nerve to sell a tie in such bad shape, that she threw it in the trash as soon as she opened it, etc. I calmly replied that I was very clear in both my description and photos that the tie had significant damage, and the choice to place bids based on the info I provided was entirely hers. Never heard back, never got bad feedback, chalked it up as a win.

Old boxes can be a great find. Especially watch boxes. I have one that I would consider selling if I did not have the watch for it. It was free for pricing out this ladies jewelry at an estate sale. I'm happy with the trade!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492148782.764700.jpg

Video game boxes, sunglass cases, all good stuff you can get cheap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions