Well, here we go again - more hammered silver!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Made trip #2 today back to the hammered site with the GPX-4000. Worked the area where the 2nd scattered cache was found 3 years ago for at least 2 hours, and had nothing to show for my efforts. Then I ventured back to the area where I found the 2 sixpences a few days ago, and swung slow and perpendicular to the direction I hunted before. Wasn't long before I got a nice signal, but it was a little too strong and I suspected iron again. But after shoveling out the hole to about 15", out popped a huge Charles I shilling (31 mm diameter). The triangle mint mark indicates the coin was made at the Tower Mint in London during 1639-40. Not quite as old as some of the others, but I'll definitely take it. This increases the total number of hammered coins to come from this site to 26. I've hit both areas pretty hard, and I'm not that optimistic that any more will come out, but I'm going to hit it a few more times while I still have access to this extremely deep machine. Video and pics below......

Attachments

• 021511a.jpg
    021511a.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,266
  • 021511c.jpg
    021511c.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,253
  • 021511d.jpg
    021511d.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,264
  • 021511e.jpg
    021511e.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 1,257
Upvote 0

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
I think these are beautiful finds, I´m very jelous.

I had found here a 1726 silver coin, half real, and the soil was very wet, muddy and lots of clay, and the coin is in better shape than those that he is showing.
I didn´t need to clean it with a brush or nothing, it was simply perfect just out of the whole.

Congrats!

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Bill D. (VA) said:
Made trip #2 today back to the hammered site with the GPX-4000. Worked the area where the 2nd scattered cache was found 3 years ago for at least 2 hours, and had nothing to show for my efforts. Then I ventured back to the area where I found the 2 sixpences a few days ago, and swung slow and perpendicular to the direction I hunted before. Wasn't long before I got a nice signal, but it was a little too strong and I suspected iron again. But after shoveling out the hole to about 15", out popped a huge Charles I shilling (31 mm diameter). The triangle mint mark indicates the coin was made at the Tower Mint in London during 1639-40. Not quite as old as some of the others, but I'll definitely take it. This increases the total number of hammered coins to come from this site to 26. I've hit both areas pretty hard, and I'm not that optimistic that any more will come out, but I'm going to hit it a few more times while I still have access to this extremely deep machine. Video and pics below......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_SAWu1jgQ
Not that I could ever afford one of those machines, but what is the learning curve like on something like that. I use an MXT because they're simple to use.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookfisher said:
You know what...ban me now, or remove my comments, but there's NO WAY that coin was in the ground at 15 inches for what, hundreds of years? Laying in the pile, in the video, when he picks it up, the coin is too shiny and there's absolutely no incrustation of dried dirt that should cover any coin that is dug, especially from that depth and age. Ridiculous. I have dug at least 100 hundred silver coins from the 1700s to the 1900s, and they all had dried dirt and (or) ground staining or toning on them. Granted, occasionally a dug coin will come out of the ground and be nice and shiny after cleaning with no toning or staining, but they are still covered with years of dirt stuck to them when they come out. Below are two examples of silver coins I have dug and were posted here on T-Net. This is how freshly dug old coins appear. Notice how much dried dirt is still incrusted on the coins, even after at least an hour had past from the time I dug them till I got them home to photograph and post on T-Net. In the final four pictures that show the coins after I cleaned them you can still see the result of many years in the ground. I'm sorry but his hammered coins were not dug.

I don't know what video you are looking at but the one attached to this post CLEARLY shows a dug coin. There IS soil (which is very loose by the way) stuck to the coin. That cannot be faked. I've dog old silver from such soil condition which looked exactly like that. In fact the 1676 silver I dug this past fall was a carbon copy of that...shiny right out of the hole. :icon_thumright:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bookfisher said:
Look if most people want to believe that coin in the video was just unearthed after 300 years in the ground looking that good, be my guest. But that coin was not in the ground for any length of time. By the way I got a bridge for sale real cheap.

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny..."what a maroon!" ::)

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes!!!!!!!!!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ANYWAY.......Like I said Bill,keep em comin' :thumbsup:

Tony (NC)

Dec 3, 2008
Claremont, NC
bookfisher said:
Look if most people want to believe that coin in the video was just unearthed after 300 years in the ground looking that good, be my guest. But that coin was not in the ground for any length of time. By the way I got a bridge for sale real cheap.

I usually stay out of things like this....after all, it's only some old coins, and I don't even know you. But YOU made it personal. You insulted a fellow digger who happens to be someone I do know and respect and consider a friend. I don't need to jump in here and defend Bill as a digger. His posts and display cases speak for themselves.

My problem with you sir, is your willingness to attack someones integrity. And you seem to be enjoying yourself while you are doing it. You could have PM'd or emailed, but you chose to do it publicly. You don't know a thing about Bill. But thanks to your post we are all getting to know you a little better.

The man and his friends have made one of the most significant finds in VA. Be happy for them. If you don't believe it.....fine! Don't believe it. But keep it to yourself. Now....go ahead and insult me if you need to. I'm done....I won't be responding.

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug up many many Hammered Silver coins ,Some of them over 1000 years buried and only a small number need cleaning , Most come out just like the ones here under disscussion.
John Detecting over 35 years.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Another nice find. Have you been able to map your findings to see if there is some direction to the spilled coins? Perhaps by the plowing the coins have distributed and you may be able to work back or forward to find the stragglers.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Stuff of my Dreams :notworthy:
I'll swing my coil over one someday.
Great Digs & many more to you :thumbsup:

dirtdigginpa

Sep 24, 2010
myerstown, PA
Detector(s) used
BH tracker 4, quick draw, whites coin pro, fisher F70,
Awesome Finds!!! I hope you find alot more where that came from! I didnt realize this was the forum for people to argue the point on authenticity! I enjoy looking at what people find! myself when i dig silver it either comes out really crusty or it comes out looking the way it did when it went in the ground! usually i know i dug silver because i can see it shine before i even take it out of the hole! Awesome finds my friend and hope to see more posted here on tnet!! :hello2:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bookfisher said:
You know what...ban me now, or remove my comments, but there's NO WAY that coin was in the ground at 15 inches for what, hundreds of years? Laying in the pile, in the video, when he picks it up, the coin is too shiny and there's absolutely no incrustation of dried dirt that should cover any coin that is dug, especially from that depth and age. Ridiculous. I have dug at least 100 hundred silver coins from the 1700s to the 1900s, and they all had dried dirt and (or) ground staining or toning on them. Granted, occasionally a dug coin will come out of the ground and be nice and shiny after cleaning with no toning or staining, but they are still covered with years of dirt stuck to them when they come out. Below are two examples of silver coins I have dug and were posted here on T-Net. This is how freshly dug old coins appear. Notice how much dried dirt is still incrusted on the coins, even after at least an hour had past from the time I dug them till I got them home to photograph and post on T-Net. In the final four pictures that show the coins after I cleaned them you can still see the result of many years in the ground. I'm sorry but his hammered coins were not dug.
Your cheese is off its cracker. That coin is exactly what a coin looks like from the Virginia soil I have hunted. Purple/black and encrusted in sandy type dirt. You ever hunted in Virginia? Apparently not.

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW Bill super nice my friend!!! They just keep on coming dint they! Dont let people with limited knowledge rub you the wrong way. AWESOME

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill how dare you concoct this evil Colonial plan over the last 15 years to deceive us all on the Treasure Net. I totally understand your reasoning because getting the pats on the back is well worth all that effort, but it just is not right.

PS... Tune in next week and find out Bill is a Russian spy.

and the week after it's revealed he's from the Cold War era and is using a time machine.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey DMN

DMN said:
Another nice find. Have you been able to map your findings to see if there is some direction to the spilled coins? Perhaps by the plowing the coins have distributed and you may be able to work back or forward to find the stragglers.

The coins have been found in 2 distinct areas not far from each other (maybe 150 ft apart). In the first area there were 8 found (now 11 with the recent finds), and they were within a 100 ft long by 50 ft wide area. These were all found one at a time scattered about within the zone I described. They have been found anywhere from 22" deep to laying on top of the ground. The others were found in a tighter area - maybe a 50 ft diameter - and 8 of those were dug from a single hole. I was just barely able to detect one coin, but when I opened the hole up I discovered there were 7 more buried deeper right under the first. A couple have been found randomly outside these 2 areas. My thoughts are that they were deliberately buried, and that at some point a deep plowing pulled some up to the surface. If not for that I doubt we would have ever found them. My strategy now is to hit these 2 areas very hard and slow, digging every signal, then expand out to adjacent areas. Its possible another hoard or 2 that was too deep to detect (before I started using the GPX) was missed. Anyway, I've got another 5-6 weeks to use the borrowed GPX, so I'd better get busy. Thanks for your comments ..... Bill

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirtdigginpa said:
I didnt realize this was the forum for people to argue the point on authenticity!

Some finds do have to be correctly ID'ed or challenged when it's very clear there is an issue, but this is definitely not one of those times.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful dug coins :notworthy: i can relate to old silver being dug in sandy soil out here . Keep finding more :thumbsup: Jim

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
bookfisher said:
How much ???

Is this a figurative bridge spanning the dark waters of distrust & conspiracy but leads to a land of believing, reasoning, and common sense? If so, maybe let him keep it.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Re: Hey DMN

Bill D. (VA) said:
DMN said:

The coins have been found in 2 distinct areas not far from each other (maybe 150 ft apart). In the first area there were 8 found (now 11 with the recent finds), and they were within a 100 ft long by 50 ft wide area. These were all found one at a time scattered about within the zone I described. They have been found anywhere from 22" deep to laying on top of the ground. The others were found in a tighter area - maybe a 50 ft diameter - and 8 of those were dug from a single hole. I was just barely able to detect one coin, but when I opened the hole up I discovered there were 7 more buried deeper right under the first. A couple have been found randomly outside these 2 areas. My thoughts are that they were deliberately buried, and that at some point a deep plowing pulled some up to the surface. If not for that I doubt we would have ever found them. My strategy now is to hit these 2 areas very hard and slow, digging every signal, then expand out to adjacent areas. Its possible another hoard or 2 that was too deep to detect (before I started using the GPX) was missed. Anyway, I've got another 5-6 weeks to use the borrowed GPX, so I'd better get busy. Thanks for your comments ..... Bill

Just intrigues me. Maybe when you dig the holes for the first find you can open it up enough to get your coil in there so you can see if it gets a signal from that point. I have done it with some reasonable results. This way you can exploit the digging you made with the first pass. Hopefully you have latitude to do some excavating (not like digging a pit....). Good luck, and keep the pics coming. Just makes my imagination kick in to high gear to understand what people were spending time in breeches and buckle shoes at that time; especially in the pre colonial America.
Have you found anything else there other than the coins?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread