Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a long time since I have posted something of my own. My falls and springs are now gobbled up with coaching sports. So, now I have to grab the occasional scorching summer hunt or woods hunt in the middle of winter.

Anyway, I went hunting with some buddies the other week and I said that I wanted us to find an indian head penny, a barber coin, some wheats, and a standing liberty quarter. Of course, I was hoping. Well, we got most of all of that, except, of course, the SLQ. I've been dying to get one b/se it's one of the few coins I haven't been able to get.

That all changed this afternoon. I went back to a place that I have pounded. 3 detectorists before me have pounded it. But, I am very thorough, and I have found a lot of stuff the others missed.

I took my 5x8 ATP coil with me and hit the front of the house, near the busy road. I got a soda can hit and dug up slaw. I moved a foot over and got a garbled hit with a sweet high tone. I dug down and I thought I had an aluminum cap or token of some sort b/se it looked like it had iron.

I took it out of the hole and immediately discerned the legs of the SLQ. Flipped it over and cloud nine - the soaring eagle, yes!

It is dateless, but is an S mintmark. I'm trying to discern any features on the date at all. 3 stars under the eagle, type 2 i believe. but darn, would love a year!

The make up case was about 5 feet away. I'm trying to get a date on that.

IMG_0600.JPG

Edit: Adding a pic of the obverse of the coin. You can clearly see where iron was resting on top of the coin:

IMG_0602.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 20

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats!

My only SLQ was a surface find - laying in the street 5 or 6 years ago. No idea how it got there but it had not been there long. I just put it in my pocket and called it good.

DCMatt

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on finding your 1st Standing Liberty Quarter Metal Magnet!!! I just found my 1st (no date) SLQ on Mothers day and it was one of my most exciting finds ever in my short 2 year detecting career. I don't find many old coins, up till then just 2 Barber dimes but man, when I saw that silver reeded edge poking out of the bottom of the hole I thought great, another Washington quarter, but noticed something different through all the dirt and you would of thought I'd found a gold coin I was so excited! Would love to see pictures of yours. GL & HH

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that first SLQ, love seeing those wings poking through the dirt.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your first SLQ! I got my first about a week ago, amazing feeling to see that eagle!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, man! I found my first and only last fall. It was so green and crusty, I thought it was a large copper. It's worn nearly smooth, but it's mine!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A SLQ is always nice to see peeking out

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am lucky to have found two...both dateless.

makes ya wonder though...seems like none of the SLQ's ever had dates on them...
the ones that do MUST be counterfeits...right?:dontknow:

OP
OP
Metal Magnet

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
opened the makeup compact b/se it had something metal clanging around in it. turned up to be metal from backside of broken mirror inside. dates from 1920s.

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey great job being thorough !! It pays. I go real slow. I got my 1st and only Slq about a month ago. No date but it's mine.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a scarce find! Welcome to the club! Very hard to find one with a complete date.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find :thumbsup: The SLQ has evaded my coil thus far. Don't we all dig for that same feeling you felt when you recognized the coin.:tongue3:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice one, ill never forget my first SLQ, such a neat feeling seeing that in the plug

congrats!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the SLQ. I have a few from finds, but my favorite is a 1927 MS65 PCGS in my collection. It is really nice to be able to look at a mint one once in a while. I truly believe that the date placement was a design oversight, and that MacNeil didn't take wear into consideration.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, post 1926 standers as a rule can be found with strong dates. For every one I have dug up ,it has been a very small percentage with dates.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive only found 3. 2 with a detector and one on the ground. What is crazy is I've found more older quarters than these. I love those coins. I just need to find one with a date also.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty nice, those are tough to find out here, last one or first one I found was planned flat like the road :occasion14:

OP
OP
Metal Magnet

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive only found 3. 2 with a detector and one on the ground. What is crazy is I've found more older quarters than these. I love those coins. I just need to find one with a date also.

It's just one of those that has eluded me. I've found seated, barbers, but couldn't find an SLQ. Of course, now my sights are set on capped and draped. yeah, good luck. lol. spanish also. a boy has to dream.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread