Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a long time since I have posted something of my own. My falls and springs are now gobbled up with coaching sports. So, now I have to grab the occasional scorching summer hunt or woods hunt in the middle of winter.

Anyway, I went hunting with some buddies the other week and I said that I wanted us to find an indian head penny, a barber coin, some wheats, and a standing liberty quarter. Of course, I was hoping. Well, we got most of all of that, except, of course, the SLQ. I've been dying to get one b/se it's one of the few coins I haven't been able to get.

That all changed this afternoon. I went back to a place that I have pounded. 3 detectorists before me have pounded it. But, I am very thorough, and I have found a lot of stuff the others missed.

I took my 5x8 ATP coil with me and hit the front of the house, near the busy road. I got a soda can hit and dug up slaw. I moved a foot over and got a garbled hit with a sweet high tone. I dug down and I thought I had an aluminum cap or token of some sort b/se it looked like it had iron.

I took it out of the hole and immediately discerned the legs of the SLQ. Flipped it over and cloud nine - the soaring eagle, yes!

It is dateless, but is an S mintmark. I'm trying to discern any features on the date at all. 3 stars under the eagle, type 2 i believe. but darn, would love a year!

The make up case was about 5 feet away. I'm trying to get a date on that.

IMG_0600.JPG

Edit: Adding a pic of the obverse of the coin. You can clearly see where iron was resting on top of the coin:

IMG_0602.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 20

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need one of those too brother!! Been dying to find one!! I love the reverse on those, the soaring eagle is sick! The older ones don't have dates on them because they were the high point of the coin, and therefore rubbed off first. I believe they fixed problem on later dates by lowering it? Don't quote me on that though lmao. Anyways, great find, definitely jealous.

OP
OP
Metal Magnet

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need one of those too brother!! Been dying to find one!! I love the reverse on those, the soaring eagle is sick! The older ones don't have dates on them because they were the high point of the coin, and therefore rubbed off first. I believe they fixed problem on later dates by lowering it? Don't quote me on that though lmao. Anyways, great find, definitely jealous.

you be correct on that. they did correct the date issue later. it seems like some people find these a lot more often. keep researching and pounding the ground. it will happen!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got 3 this year and none have a date??

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, I need one of those:thumbsup:

Dominoe

Mar 20, 2004
Oklahoma
Might be my imagination but I zoomed in on that pic and turned the brightness up on my iPad and it looks like 1926 or 1928.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread